wow

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by hawkguy, Jan 25, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i saw two guys puchasing AR-15's today.....

.....AT A LOCAL WAL-MART! :eek: are things getting better? i was a bit shocked honestly. maybe these guys were related to the manager?

are they becoming more available again or was this an anomaly? they actually had a couple of boxes of 223 in as well....

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I wouldn't support Wal-Mart if they were the only place left selling AR's :cool:

3. hawkguy

i really asking in terms of the availibility. seems strange to see two ar's purchased at such a common place when people are running around trying and hoping to find them for double their regular price..:confused:

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No change that I have seen yet.

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

keep in mind that Wal-Mart has more purchasing power than an independent shop. If they ordered 1000 rifles a manufacturer would be obligated to fill their order first before a mom and pop shop that ordered 5 rifles :mad:

6. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We were just at Walmart and they limited us to three boxes of ammo per person. That's their limit right now per person per day so I got three and Fathead got three. Too bad the daughter is only 9...... Haha

7. hawkguy

really? yeah, you're probably right. if for no other reason, the fear of losing wal mart business....but i'm still thinking related to or dating to the manger myself...:D

although i honestly think there is no way wal mart here competes in gun sales with some of our local gunstores. a few gunstores i go to are HIGH volume.

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

there are over 8400 Wal Mart's ... you think a few local independent shops have more volume than them? :rolleyes:

9. hawkguy

yup, same here, limit of 3. i actually don't mind the ammo limit in THIS climate. gives me an actual chance to get some ammo...:)

but the ar's is what had me thinking maybe things are improving a little.

10. andyss420

andyss420 New Member

What brand does of ar's does Walmart carry

11. andyss420

andyss420 New Member

What brand of ar's does Walmart carry?

12. hawkguy

i see your point, but honestly...i think in austin at least, the answer is definately yes.

there might be as many gunstores as walmarts in many texas cities. a local worker at the highest volume gunstore in austin claimed they had sold 10,000 guns a month since obamas re election. i doubt any wal mart around us comes close to touching 10,000 guns sold in a year, much less a month.

in fact, this is only one of a handful of times i have seen anyone buying a gun at wal mart. but honestly, this may be a regional difference. many of our guns stores are big, cheap, and have a vast selection of firearms, making wal mart seem far less attractive.

and i quickly tried to find the number of gunstores in america, but couldn't come up with anything. there has gotta be thousands as well :confused:

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

yes, there are thousands and thousands of gun stores ... but for the most part they operate independently. Each of your top 10 LGS in your area may have only ordered 100 AR's, a total of 1000 rifles ... where as Wal Mart may have ordered 5000 rifles nationwide. Manufacturers more often than not are obligated to fill the largest orders first ;)

14. hawkguy

well, if i remember correctly, the w mart i normally shop at carried any one of: colt, windam, dpms, and a sig i believe. they also had about 2 ar style rimfires, and the mini 14 (not an ar, i know).

the ones these guys were buying are the first i have seen since the shooting.

15. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I have seen sig and bushmaster at ours.

16. hawkguy

absolutely true, that is a good point! and i am not trying to argue with you. but honestly in my area, wal mart is probably one of the LAST places most think to go to get a gun. i have never purchased a gun at wal mart. so much better selection and service at our LGS's. and honestly, the prices are also very competitive.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  17. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

True. There wasn't much left and if there wasn't a limit we wouldn't have gotten any.

18. Dexter

Dexter New Member

At my lgs they had 6-8 ARs which were marked up 100%. This may be why they're still there.

19. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

I've never paid attention to walmarts firearm selection. I don't like walmart and try to stay out unless all else fails. All the local gun stores around here didn't expect any more ARs until after 1/22/13. PSA makes their own and continued to pump them out to sell in the store but not online.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

They had two ARs at the Walmart I shop at a while ago. One was a Colt. I dont remember the other. It was after the craziness started. The Colt was just under a grand. I thought that was a great deal.