WOW! What a Concept!

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by cottontop, Sep 15, 2012.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I was at the range yesterday. The guy next to me, on my left, was shooting an AR of some kind. I noticed that his empty brass were not flying in my direction. I wondered why so I closely watched him. He had some kind of cloth bag shell catcher on his rifle that caught the empty brass as it was flung out the gun. I told him that I appreciated the fact that he was using this device and he responded that he tried to be safe and respect the other shooters around him. Now if all of the other semi-auto shooters would do that the range would be a nicer place to visit.
    cottontop

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

those are sweet. ive been using basscatchers of some type on my AR15's for years. i got my first one back in the 80's. its was hard plastic only held 60 rounds of brass and was a bit of a pain to empty. the little baggy version work great and adapt to a wide variety of semi auto not just AR15

3. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

He's full of crap! He doesn't care about the shooters around him. He is a reloader! :D

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

My thoughts exactly. [​IMG]

5. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

The Rifle Club range here has brass catchers that you can use when firing semi-auto weapons.They look like a drawer standing on it's back with heavy canvas cloth loosely attached to where the bottom would have been.There is a catch box where the expended brass ends up after sliding down the cloth

I stole their idea and made one of these to attach to my portable shooting bench.Now I don't have to search all over for my brass anymore.It's great!!!

6. therhino

therhino New Member

I need to make something like that for my CZ-82. Unfortunately, it would probably end up being the size of a kiddie pool. For a smallish pistol, the thing throws brass at least 25 feet into a 10 foot circle.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a couple of long wood working clamps and attach a beach towel to stop the flying brass. I even use it with steel case and 22lr.:p

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I've started spreading a cheap 8x10 tarp on my right for the brass to fall on to. I put spikes through the corner grommets into the ground holding it taut. It makes it real easy to collect almost all of the brass after a session.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Shooters have been using brass catchers for way over 50 years

10. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

That's what we do at my cousin's house. It is definitely a time saver.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What? I kinda like watching some of the women I shoot with do the "38super shuffle".

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I always use brass catchers when I shoot my AR's,especially when I shoot the 458 SOCOM.That brass is worth it's weight in gold!I even use them when I'm hunting with them.

13. cottontop

cottontop Guest

brass

Yeah, fine, but I don't like doing it.
    cottontop

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

brass

Right! And that's my whole point. More shooters should be using them. In fact ALL shooters of semi-automatics should be required to have them at a public range. The range has rules, so why can't that be a rule. Before that ever happens, someone will lose an eye from a flying empty, a law suit will take place, and if the range is still in business after that, they will require a brass catcher or the range will put up screens. Why can't they just put up the screens now and be done with it?
    cottontop

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The public range that I go to,has had screens in place at each bench for several years.They work pretty good for most rifles,but some rifles that eject brass upward will still send brass into the next shooting station.
    I only go to the public range during week days,and I'm usually the first shooter there so flying brass isn't a big problem for me.Plus,I shoot LH,and I'm usually the only one on that section of the range for most of the time that I'm there.

Here's a pic of the screens that the range has on the shooting stations-
    [​IMG]