Wounded Warrior Project - FTF version

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by dog2000tj, Oct 10, 2012.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I've been following along the Guns and Military Suicides thread - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f169/guns-military-suicides-73920/ and a thought occurred to me ...

maybe FTF could have a thread dedicated to our Military personnel where they could open up and share their problems/issues? But instead let it be open only to those Military members that share, kinda like their own Bunker, not to any of the other membership. It might be FTF's way of offering a private place where they can discuss and communicate the issues they are facing from service/trauma/experience?

just a thought :)

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I like the idea but I think it would be hard to keep everyone from throwing in their comments whether they be military or not.

Also, I'm not sure a public forum is a place to express some of those feelings/issues that are plaguing our military people. Some of the issues could be quite sensitive and personal.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Doesn't FTF have a women's only thread/stickie? :confused: That's why I mentioned it be like their own Bunker ... so us non military muppets cannot enter and muck it up :p Let these guys/gals have their own place to talk and help with the healing ;)

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

We actually don't. I've been thinking of adding it for a while now.

As for LEO/Military we can add that section as well.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I agree. Especially for anyone needing to reach about personal issues without the annoying arm chair psychology of those that do not understand from a boots on ground perspective.

That is a real focus with WWP. Having troops be able to talked to trained troops so they are not feeling "weak" about opening up.

The area should be assigned a relevant Mod though (Women's section should be WoC and the military section should be one of vets) so as to keep both in spirit and in confidence with what is being discussed.

I think it's a great idea and I am all for it. And also ineligible for either. :D

6. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Can they be restricted from view for those not of the community? Granted vetted would need to take place, but I think it would be best.

Part of the thought, I think from Dog's side, was a place where these folks could discuss things of relevance to them without prying eyes of the general public.

One would think that merely having an opinion is not qualification enough to interrupt a thread going on between, in the case of military/LEO's, the "experts" on the matter.

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Bossman ... you rock! Thank you :D

Like JD has said my intent was for Military personnel to have a place to talk among each other. All us other muppets should NOT have access to their private area.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yeah but how do you distinguish who is military? Take their word?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Like I said, some vetting would be needed. But I believe the point of the section was to have people in the know able to discuss things about those subjects without the usual parade of armchair experts and the peanut gallery getting involved.

I for one qualify for neither forum. Personally vetted. 1 down. :D

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Easy fix! Sign up or get cut :D...lol

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Well-Known Member

I like this! I'm neither! Ha so I'm out! :D

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 Active Member

so i should believe one need request access, just as the other premium places?

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

isn't there some way one can prove they are active/ex military? :confused: Again, I have NO interest in participating/viewing what they talk about, just thought it would be good for FTF to give them a place to do so.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

DD-214 would do it. But I would LIKE TO THINK that most of this community would be honest and respect those that have served by manning up and saying "I don't qualify".

16. kytowboater

If they are found out to be posurs, beat them with a big stick....

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Well for those of us who are retired/active/reserve we have ID cards, but those that spent a couple years in don't have an ID. They should have their DD214, but that is not always the case and it would bombard the admin/mods with a ton of personal info since ID cards and 214's have SSNs. I think the only way to do it would be to take their word. If they aren't military, it becomes apparent pretty quick.

18. kytowboater

I'm sticking by beat em with a stick. Seriously though, I would hope people would have enough respect to be honest. I'm very thankful to all those that have served. I have not so I won't pretend I did.

19. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

If that's the case maybe you guys could self police? maybe require your own intro threads asking for potential visitors to supply some type of proof?

I would really hate to see someone who should NOT be in there get access :mad:

PS: I do NOT qualify

20. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Alright, alright!!! I don't qualify:)

But a great idea never the less.