Would you shoot it?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by aztman, Aug 30, 2012.

1. aztman

aztman New Member

1967 WWI comm. I want to go shooting

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Personally, I would, but I refuse to own a gun I can't shoot. That said, isn't a commemorative a collector's item and therefore more valuable in unfired condition?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Has it ever been fired?

Because if it hasn't, I will buy it from you so you DON'T shoot it! :eek:

4. aztman

aztman New Member

Appears Unfired but no box or paperwork.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'd have it checked out by a pro gunsmith.

If it's unfired, you might have a real collector's piece on your hands and it could be worth a ton of cash.

I'll give you $800 for it, cash, right now. :D

But seriously, have it checked. paperwork can be tracked down or re-created. You can go to the manufacturer and get the whole life story of the weapon.

But it's only worthwhile if you are either A) a collector and it's unfired or B) its personal history.

JD

6. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. aztman

aztman New Member

I just picked it up today! Let me enjoy it for a day or two.

8. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

It's kind of weird that a gun that just sits there and look "purty" can be worth more than a gun that is beat the hell up, holster worn and battle torn with history of proven performance thus earning its position as a real firearm and then would be considered virtually worthless. Personally, I would like to see more pics of those battle weary guns.

And no, I am not advocating guns that are victims of neglect and abuse from irresponsible gun owners.

Oh yeah, that is a really cool gun there.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

As others have said, if someone else has already put rounds through it the it probably won't hurt for you to put a few more through. But I would NOT want to be the guy to pop the cherry on that gun.

10. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I have and will always say, do not let the things you own, own you.

Shoot the darn thing!

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Just shoot it once. Then it won't matter any more. Kind of like the first dent in a new car.

Personally, I'd bead blast it and parkerize it, then shoot it.

Please don't take any of what I just said seriously.

12. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

NOT shooting a gun that you own is like having a hot 21 year old girlfriend and remaining abstinent. Makes no sense.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I had a similar problem.
    I am the owner of a Wings of Freedom USAF Commemorative.
    http://www.americaremembers.com/Products/WINGSFP/WINGSFP.asp
    My Dad bought it for me at a Friends of the NRA dinner (I was career USAF). When it was given to me, it was the only 1911 I owned. The only thing worse than not having a 1911 is having one you can't shoot. I managed to hold off.
    Hold off, don't fire it. You will eventually regret it.
    Go get a shooter.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

My dad collected toy tractors as a child. When all his friends were playing in the mud with their toys and having a blast, he kept his inside the house and even kept the boxes. 50 years later he still has all his old tractors in mint condition with boxes and all his friends toys got ruined. Several years back he sold his toy tractor collection to another collector. The results were a brand new 50hp John Deere tractor with front bucket that was paid for in cash.

You go ahead and play with your toys and enjoy your moment in the sun right now. I'll keep my safe queens and delay gratification. In the end, I guarantee I'll have a greater return on my investments.

BTW, 50 years from now that 21 year old is gonna be looking pretty rough. But I promise my safe queens will look a lot sexier than a topless 71 year old lady!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Put it in the safe and go out and buy a shooter.

16. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Agreed, some things are meant to be displayed and admired and some are meant to be used and abused. IMO go buy yourself a RIA 1911 for $350 and put that baby in the safe. You will make the $350 back when/if you sell the Colt.