Would you rather?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BeyondTheBox, Sep 6, 2012.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

This is an either/or situation, please dont bother with the stupid, off topic or smart a$$ answers.

If you were in a position in which you had only two options for a carry piece, which would you chose, a two shot 9mm derringer, or a 6+1 22lr?

Dont know why, just came up with it last night in a dream and thought it was stupid but funny.

My answer: the .22lr

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Derringer. I would dump all 6 shots of .22 into the target anyway. I'd rather put 2 bigger holes and then throw the gun at them.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

From experience, I can hit with a .22, but not a derringer.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm going with the 22.

5. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

Ditto. 22LR all the way.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Hahaha thus far you're the lone ranger here. I'll be honest I had trouble deciding at first. My initial reaction was much like yours, bigger is better, however my head kicked in and said, more "shots" at a better placed shot would have to be an advantage.

Still something in my gut wants a bigger bang when it comes to personal protection.

7. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

8. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Seconded, i want more power than mag capacity in that situation.

My granddad has a 22mag derringer that holds a 6in pattern at 7-10 yards.

A 9mm will have more recoil, but would still be manageable.

9. Gibbs9mm

Gibbs9mm New Member

10. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I gotta go with the 22lr as well.

11. TNBlackSheep

TNBlackSheep New Member

I'll take 7 well-placed .22 any day.

12. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Whichever I can hit better with; so the .22

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Well, as dopey as the question was set up to be, actually, it isn't an unfun one.

.22 using CCI Velocitor. I want to hit what I'm aiming at and an on-target .22 is probably better than a likely way off-target 9mm. Double-taps would be a given w/the .22 tho. Even so, I'd feel stupid running out of ammo after two shots.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I guess I answered this question for myself a long time ago. I have owned a Beretta 21a in .22LR. Never owned a derringer.

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Who in the world would pick 2 rounds of 9mm out of a Derringer?

22lr, especially 7 rounds, can be quite deadly. Perhaps not quickly stopping an attack, but better than the alternative.

17. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

.22 for me too, though at one time I did carry a derringer -- I've mentioned it before. Two shots of .44 Magnum. I named it "Dolly Parton." See if you can guess why.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

For me it's a situational thing and the problem is I couldn't possibly predict which I'll be in, if any.

Within 5ft I'd want the derringer, while either would suffice I'd want the bigger damage of the 9mm round to end it quickly. However past that mark I'd want the 22, for accuracy, as has been pointed out.

It seems most of you expect a distance attack, but I would think the typical assault to be up close and personal. The only reason I selected the 22 was because it would suit either ocassion.

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

.22 because you never know where those rounds are going once they hit. I've seen a single .22 long rifle shot affect multiple organ groups on more than one occasion. With the barrel length of the standard derringer I doubt the 9mm would have a full charge behind it.

20. dkBrandon

dkBrandon New Member

I say the .22, only having 2 shots could be incredibly different in hostile situations