Would You Present Your Licence?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Polygon, May 30, 2012.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Just curious, but if you were confronted by a LEO in a non-enforcement situation, would you present to the LEO that you were a licensed concealed carry holder?

Here's an example. I was working for HP at the time going to client sites to fix computers. One day I was dispatched to a jewelry store that had an onsite LEO. I was carrying and there were no postings to tell me that they didn't allow weapons onsite. As I was performing my work the LEO came up to me and was talking to me about what I was doing and asked me some questions about his home computer. After we talked I left and never said a word to him about the fact that I was a CCW holder and that I was carrying my firearm.

Would you have notified the LEO in that situation or one like it?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nope. I wouldnt and dont. If im temporarily detained in the course of an officer's ofricial duties i would. Just shootin the breeze no.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Not sure about the laws in other states but in NC we have an 'obligation to inform'. When approached by a LEO we HAVE to tell him or her we are carrying. With a traffic stop, your CCW is attached to your license plate number so they know before contact is made. If we don't inform, it can lead to all sorts of complications...

If that law was not in place, I'd keep my wordhole shut...

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you have a CCW permit and are properly concealed and he had no idea, then IMO there isn't any need to. doesn't seem to me that he had any idea if he was questioning you about his home computer!

different states may have different requirements as to when to inform a LEO that you are carrying concealed. in Texas, you are only required to show proof if asked. you do not have to volunteer any irrelevent information unless asked.

5. Polygon

Polygon New Member

This is what I assumed, so I kept quite. I did feel a little uncomfortable though. Then again I had just started carrying at the time.

My CCW, my licence, and both my hands are the first things the LEO sees when he approaches the window of my car.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If I speak to an officer in an offical capacity, like an accident or being pulled over, I would inform them. If we were just talking in casual manner I would say nothing.

7. vincent

vincent New Member

That's never a bad idea even though you have no obligation to inform...see link..

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

I'm sure you already know this but it never hurts to brush up on the laws...:cool:

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Polygon, a UHP Trooper stopped me for speeding at the Midway Cut Off going into Heber City Ut. I had to inform him as my paper work was under my cocked and locked 1911. He looked at me and looked at my CCW and said I know you. You were my Firearms Inst. in Wyoming. Have a nice day.:)

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, sure- but there's only 47 people North of Casper IN Wyoming! :p

License check, MV accident, some official capacity- I have a pull out section in wallet that holds two cards- my driver's license, my concealed carry license.

Casual encounter (in line at Krispy Kreme, etc) why bring it up?

10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

depends on the laws where you live, some juristictions mandate that you must inform, where as some only require that you show your license to leo upon demand. that is a good question though, best to research that and know for certain the laws, [that is a task unto itself]

edit: add: that is awesome durangokid

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  11. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I am 300 miles south of Casper.:D

12. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

The answer is simply NO. Two men facing each other talking about kindred subject of interest. Leave it at that.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I would do what a state law dictates. But if stoped or in a check point in any state i will show it as it should come up on the computer.

15. gollygee

gollygee New Member

In Texas, your CHL is tied to your driver's license, not your vehicle tags. We are required to inform LEO if they approach us in an official capcity, but the state dropped the penalty for not doing so. Just striking up a conversation would not be considered an official capacity.

16. imajarhed

imajarhed New Member

NO!!!

I'm not sure where you live but the law in Arkansas states, §5-73-315. Possession of license — Identification of licensee.
    (a) Any licensee possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter may carry a concealed handgun.
    (b) The licensee shall:
    (1) Carry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and
    (2) Display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
    Otherwise the idea of CCWP is to keep it concealed to the extent that no knowledge (beyond your own) of a weapon exists even to LEO. Once again, your state/local statutes/ordinances dictate the protocol.

17. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Dont laugh, but im going to guess a LEO is a Law Enforcememt Officer??

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

YUP -
    Message too short so i added this :p

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

No. If it's an enforcement situation and asked for ID, then I'll present. Otherwise, all it would do is increase stress.

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

No I would not have mentioned it. And I am sure you being a computer technician even if he would have detected it being CCW. The conversation would have probably been more likely on the brand and caliber than a permit. I am sure that he would probably have assumed you had a permit due to your occupation and your travels. Not all of us were ego trippin AH's throughout our carrier. And I think they (AH's) are still in the minority in our profession and especialy after you get by the Rookie syndrome! Common sense with the citizens is the key! :) The moral of the story, treat people how you would expect to be treated! But there was not need to advise you had a CCW unless there was a conversation to that effect.