Would you open carry if you could?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by michiana, Aug 14, 2009.

1. michiana

michiana New Member

In the state of Indiana you have the right to open carry but most people don't for a variety of reasons. On the Indiana forum I belong to we have some fierce debates over this subject. I am of the opinion why make people uncomfortable by walking around the local mall with a Glock strapped to your side because you can. It makes the non gun people uncomfortable and we can CC and get the same results of personal protection if it is ever needed. I know a lot of states do not allow for outside carry and I was wondering how many forum members open carry right now where it is allowed and how many would if it was allowed in your state?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Here in NC there are so many laws on where you can open carry and where you can't. If I could open carry, I would. If the fact that I'm carrying a gun makes you nervous, that's your problem. Who would you try to rob...the guy with a 45 in a drop leg(me) or the guy shying away from me because he just saw the gun?

3. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I would not. Personal preference but I prefer having my firearm concealed.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

My position as well notdku!! I like the advantage of suprise.

5. Keech

Keech New Member

No sir, I wouldn't.
    Looking at it from the bad guys point of view.... I see an openly armed individual, I take you out first and don't let you have any chance of using your weapon.
    I also like the element of surprise in my favor.

6. OC357

OC357 New Member

I would never carry open as it would make me uncomfortable and bring unwanted attention. Besides, I have a legal CCW.

Just my opinion.

OC

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I can open carry in my state, and while it is my right, I prefer to keep my weapon hidden.

Then again, I kind of think like a paranoid bad guy anyways - as expressed, if someone is set on doing something, especially a spree killer who is looking for suicide by cop anyways, he is going to be looking to put rounds into me before I know what he is up too.

However, you come running up into the mall food court clack-clacking the charging handle back on your AK while I am eating my chinese food and it's going to be your ***. :p

JD

8. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Preferrably, the first time I want a threat to know that I'm packing is when they feel the distinctive feeling that only a 230 grain will give when it's obliterating the chest cavity at 900 fps.

9. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Both have their advantages, however I wouldnt object to OC. I belive OC would act as a deterent to a BG if they KNOW your packin heat! In their shoes, Id find someone who I thought might not being carrying, not someone I know is carrying. Firearms are a deterent first, and what better way to deter then to make it plain to see. There was a reason the F-22 recived so much publisity (before obama called them down from the sky) and that reason was to make clear the power our nation wielded.

10. layton

layton New Member

If I could open carry, I would not, but that would be for my own reason to choose not to, why advertise and be first target for any planned aggression?

Layton

11. michiana

michiana New Member

WOW, you guys are a breath of fresh air when I read your responses. Nice to read both sides of an debate without people getting nasty like they do on the Indiana Gun Owners Forum. I think I am going to enjoy this place.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

OH YES!! Speak it, Speak it!! :p

JD

13. Kain

Kain Member

No personal experience on this subject. But when my parents lived in NM, open carry was not only allowed, but preferred. Everyone carried a pistol, mostly for snake killing. But there was never any trouble since you knew everyone was carrying. I figure most people these days perfer to carry concealed because it's more "civilized" There, but not advertised. The guy carrying open and not wearing a badge tends to make people uncomfortable.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  14. Caliche

Caliche New Member

Have you read The Teeth of the Tiger? Just curious as this seemed vaguely familiar and I finally remembered that it resembles a scene in that novel. Not Clancy's best work though.

15. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Never expose a tactical advantage. Surprise is always the best counter-action. The look on one's face after being surprised..........priceless! ;)

Jack

16. Succinct

Succinct New Member

I think a national defense is different from individual protection. Everyone knows the USA is armed and is basically "open carry" only, especially on such planes as the F22. And every other country is in the same boat. The advantage is having more than the others (and everyone knows this) so they leave you alone. Stealth weaponry here is also helpful. Keep 'em wondering what ELSE you might have...

The great thing about individual CC is that if it's implemented and enough people do it, then the bad guys don't know where it's "OK" and don't know how many good guys are packing in a given place, so THAT is the deterrent. When I got my CC recently, it was because I wanted to be one of the number of good guys doing the deterring.

Also - in my state (VA), OC (or CC) can be prohibited if specifically stated/requested by the property owner. So for example an OC person may make a store owner nervous, who would then have every right to ask you to leave, whereas with CC they would never know.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  17. Woody

Woody New Member

I would never even consider open carry But just one more my preference
    I always have my 45acp a tactical folder my trusty ol timer trapper
    and sometimes a backup .380
    but the only thing ever visable is the clip on the folder if that if I need a knife to cut somthing the trapper comes out

to me open carry unless at a range
    draws too much attention
    and
    causes too much ammo for anti gun hackers
    good gun sense go's along ways

18. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

At one time I would have considered oc better, but in this day and age cc would be better. In my county, Spit you know where that is, one town has a no open carry ordinace and the law would enforce it in a minute. Charge going armed to the terror of the populace. Rest of the county and the other large town don't have that ordance. But too thickly populated.

19. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

I would not open carry all of the time. However, I think discreetly, but openly, wearing a black hip holster and a black pistol on my evening dog walk would be a pretty good thing.

20. TelstaR

TelstaR New Member

It is not illegal in my area to "open carry" in public but I would not choose to carry in that manner. I have open carried in the woods but that is the only exception.