Would You make this trade???

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Matteo, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Matteo

Matteo New Member

I have a Stainless Colt 1911 MKIV GOVT 80 series in .40 cal. it is rare and totally stock without mods and shoots great. A guy wants to trade his FNAR .308 for it. What do you think?? What is the value on the COlt 1911 .40 cal?? here are some pics of it.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for any help.

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Oh crap, another new guy:D
    I would give
    Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com
    a try first, try to keep in mind that prices asked are usually just that, an Asked For amount of money, no guarantee they will get it.
    Only one for sale guy wants $1,700.00 for it- remember, nobody yet has offered anything for it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

3. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Everybody was new at some point in time..

SO does that mean you would make the trade for the FNAR?

I know what people ask on Gunbroker.. I am asking the experts here what you think.:D

There arent many out there for sale. probably due to the rarity. I can find some custom ones that were built into .40 cal but this is an original factory pistol.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Govt mdl Mk IV series 80 stainless. No premium for 40 cal.

100% $950
    98% $850
    95% $725
    90% $650

30th Blue Book---retail prices.

FNAR .308 Standard

100% $1625
    98% $1420
    95% $1220
    90% $1105

on down to 60% at $570

As billdeserthills said---check Gunbroker/AuctionArms etc and see what stuff
    is actually SELLING for.

5. Matteo

Matteo New Member

I am surprised you say that there is no premium for .40 cal since they are so rare (and therefore collectable). I guess I should make the trade based on that info and the Gunbroker info.

FNAR's just came out in 2008 doo you think the value will drop on them as time goes by? I am pretty sure the value of the pistol will go up some over time.

ARRGH! Tough decision.:eek:

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

rarity only matters if the rare feature is desirable. just because something is rare does not mean it is collectable or worth more.

what really makes something collectable and rare is how common or popular the thing was. for example old comics from the heyday. tons were made and sold to kids they were popular most were destroyed by the kidlet this made them rare 40-80 years later their original popularity made them collectable.

im not saying your pistol isnt desirable. just make sure you know its real worth before you trade. the blue book of guns isnt 100% accurate.

7. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

My personal preference would be to keep the rare gun you have now, but I have a CETME & a crank driven 1919 for my .308 caliber guns. I think the FN is too damn heavy, witness the carry handle on some models. Currently the CETME is cheap & plentiful @$499.00
    Centerfire Systems, Inc. - Your Home For Ammo, Firearms, Magazines, and Gun Accessories

If you check, they even have a couple of FAL's for a lot cheaper, not FN of course...
    I would put that Colt in the back of my gun safe for ten years (or longer)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Why not try to keep the 1911 and get the FNAR for the "collection"? Work out price and buy the dern thing.

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I think it's a good trade monetarily, but I would keep the Colt .40 anyway. :)

10. freefall

freefall New Member

I'd trade it in a heartbeat. Of course I do stupid things all the time. If I was smart I'd be rich.

11. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a S&W Sigma in .357sig which are pretty rare, doesn't mean its collectible. I am sure not going to get any premium on it.

12. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

IMHO, Keep the Colt. It will be worth more down the road and is a better gun now.

If you get rid of it, you will always regret the decision.

If you keep it, you can always buy another gun to add to the collection.

If it was a good deal, the other guy would not be eager to make the deal. After all, he knows what he has now and wants your gun instead of the one he has.

I had a Colt Officer's model in .45acp that I let an attorney in my office talk me out of back in 1997. To this day I regret letting that Colt leave my collection. I have offered the guy twice what he paid for it so I could get it back.

Keep the Colt. Five years from now, you can thank me for the advice.

13. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

I agree with oldman45. I had a Combat Commander, satin nickle, in .45 ACP and sold it when I needed money. Later I realized I could have kept it if I'd done a little more thinking. I'll always regret selling that gun. Don't sell yours!

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Bullcrap! I'd give you $200 for it easily! :)

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

$245 and I throw in the Bayonet.:D

16. Matteo

Matteo New Member

THanks for the good advice guys. I am going to keep it and just save up and buy the FNAR. I am glad I consulted the experts!
    Keep the Colt. Five years from now, you can thank me for the advice.[/

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Ever wonder why they are rare?

Not all mistakes turn out to be a Ford Edsel!
    (Popular and expensive in spite of themselves.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  18. Bello

Bello New Member

I have seen that myself. I have seen old guns that end up not worth nothing. You always place old with valuable then to find out it is not.

Just do a little bit of research just for your own sake. :)