Would you hunt with a S&W Model 19?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Nov 9, 2009.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire Active Member Supporter

I've got a 6" S&W model 19-4 in near perfect condition. I don't shoot it a lot because it's in good shape and it's one of the sweetest revolvers I've ever shot. Here lately I've been itching to deer hunt with a pistol and since it's the only 6" pistol I own, it's the only one I can use here in NC. I'm currently working on some hunting loads for it. What do you guys think, should I hunt with it? Or should I pick up something else, used GP100 maybe?

Here's the p0rn.....

24436910028_large.jpg

2. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I dunno anything about hunting with a pistol, but you could definitely lose that baby in my bookbag...:D

RAE Industires likes this.

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

By all means use it. It would make a great woods gun. Keep your loads reasonable and you will be fine. If you are going to work with loads on the top end of the scale on a continuous basis, I would go with the N frame or the Ruger. Would not want to damage that nice pinned and recessed mod-19, although they will take a beating, I would not want to do it as a steady diet.

Jim...........................

JimRau and RAE Industires like this.
  4. spittinfire

spittinfire Active Member Supporter

My thoughts exactly! I enjoy the gun but my understanding is that they don't like a steady diet of magnums. Usually when I get it out I feed it 38s and then finish the day with a cylinder or 2 of 158gr mags just for fun. I guess I can apply the same thing to my practice for hunting. Finish with a cylinder or 2 of my hunting load just to make sure I'm on track. My bullet search continues....

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I'd certainly hunt with it for shots out to 50 yards. The main reason they don't like a steady diet of full house loads is they'll go out of time. It does take longer (more rounds) than you would think to stress them so much it goes out of time though. In bullet selection I'd think about Gold Dot or the Winchester bonded core on deer.

6. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I hunt with a similar model 19. However after years of hunting it isnt new looking anymore, however it is far more handsome than yours. Mine has many scars and bumps, everyone can tell a interesting story. Just last week it ended up in a ditch during a mishap in elk camp. While I like near new older firearms I much prefer experenced guns. Just my 2 cents.

7. OC357

OC357 New Member

That is a really nice M19.

I had one I used to take hunting a lot but mostly it stayed holstered as my 30-30 was all that was needed. Only one time did I finish off a downed deer with it. I had it for a few years but sold it to buy a python. It was a nice revolver and still in very good condition when I sold it. Mostly, it was holstered and under my jacket. It did have a little holster wear on the barrel and cylinder from being holstered a lot as I did use it. But it was not beat up.

I don't think you should hesitate to carry it hunting if you want to.

Just my opinion.

OC

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yes!...........

9. WDB

WDB New Member

A nice pistol, the only pistol I've hunted with was a TC. I expect it depends much on the range/distance, your skill with the pistol and the size of ther deer in your area. I have a S&W 586 never thought about hunting with it in the PNW.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  10. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

The 6” Model 19 is a beautiful weapon and certainly will do the task asked of hunting game if you do your homework first. Practice with the weapon at targets other than a piece of paper, reactive targets like steel, cans, clay pigeons placed in a fixed location, rolling can on ground etc.
    As far as a K frame revolver going out of time from shooting, forget it, it would take an enormous amount of ammo to do that. I attended several of the Smith armorers schools where the experts answered those questions. As Police Armorer and in charge of the firearms program at my PD as well as being a competitive shooter in police circles in days gone by, timing was not an often encountered issue. The few Colt revolvers that officers owned were normally in need of some timing attention if fired a great deal.
    My personal 19 fired untold thousands of rounds of magnum and wadcutter ammunition and I never had to address timing as a needed repair....I did , however, correct the end shake somewhere down the line.

Ha! Just realized the date on the original question is six years ago...wonder if that 19 has taken any deer and if so the circumstances of the actual firing. Guess we will never know, anyway I had fun with the OP and respondents.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Mikey- this is an 8 year old post. :p

12. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Might be old but I bet many are considering using a handgun to hunt with.
    The 19 is a fine gun in .357, and accurate.
    I have hunted with my Colt Trooper, here in the thick woods of the mtns of Tn.
    If I did it again I would use a stainless gun. I despise holster wear on a fine gun.
    I shot it single action one shot one deer.
    I bet a ton of deer have been harvested with handguns.
    The .44 magnum is a great one, if someone else will carry it or you. A hip holster kept dragging my pants off and a sore on top of my hip bone. That is a Ruger Super Blackhawk.
    The new Vaquero in .357, or .44 or .45, doesn't weigh much and would be holster and hip friendly.
    In woods and within your range in the open they will all drop a deer.

13. groo01

groo01 New Member

Groo here
    I would BUY some hunting loads for the M19 not reload.
    Once sighted in [ only takes a few] you won't shoot many.
    This way you know pressures will be ok and accurate enough.

14. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Personally, I prefer a Mdl 57, or one of the other 41Mags. But, the Mdl 19 would be fine for deer and other small to medium game.

JimRau and tinbucket like this.
  15. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Have seen two pinned K frame .357 w cracked forcing cones.
    One today.
    Owner just said cylinder got weird to close, kinda snapped in at last bit. I asked to see it and yup.......fingernail snags dead center under bore on face of forcing cone. Rub of yoke visible on half of the forcing cone's underside/flat.
    Doubt any pinned bbls at Smith LOL...........hence the credit of some % to a new one.
    Suggested Bowen Classic, as he might have a take off, or could slap on a Python bbl.

As for .357's and deer, I shot one. But where I hit anything would have worked. Facing away I spined him in the neck, on purpose. Bullet stopped in his nose. Think it was the next yr I got caught in a downpour and had to take the beater all apart....last time I hunted deer with a blued revolver LOL. Yup.........it's got bluing wear...........pops and I have shot the crap out of that gun, he killed quite a few groundhogs with it.

On smaller frame DA .357's I'd run no hotter than factory 158's. SA or beefier frame/bbl DA maybe try max'd 180's. Think .357 proly a 50 yard cartridge. Plus or minus a yard LOL......since this was 51 or 52 (can't remember).

Hard to beat a pre lawyer lock 6" Smith 686 IMHO. Proly my next one.

python22.jpg

JimRau likes this.
  16. Hookeye

Have killed all my other handgun deer with .44's.........Ruger SA and DA, Smith 629's.
    My arthritis says the boomers are done, have to drop to .357.
    On my Python I shot the Hornady Leverevolution 140gr stuff........it LOVED them.I thought them merely "warm" as far as oomph goes.

JimRau likes this.
  17. headhunter

headhunter Member

A really nice firearm. Most of the stories about cracked forcing cone came after people started using the 110 gr and 125 gr bullets being pushed to the max velocity. I carried a Model 19 with a 4" barrel and shot it much. Moderation in most things is good. A 158 gr. JHP or JSP backed by 13 1/2 gr. of 2400 with std. sm. pistol primers generates 1200+ fps in my 4' barreled Smiths and Ruger. It works well and is accurate.

18. Hookeye

Well I was wrong about the 66.
    It wasn't a cracked bbl.
    It was a cracked bbl and frame.
    Of course some local "know it all" said the bbl wasn't cracked so the owner had the gun sent to a well known S&W guy........and he said it's trashed (bbl, frame plus other issues).
    Dunno how many rounds the owner put through it, or what power level...........but he shot the snot out of it.
    Oh well, buy another and repeat:)
    It wasn't worn out from negligence........but use.

Yrs ago at a big shop a Cooper rifle was in the used rack. Bbl was shot out. Buddy and I were checking it out. Owner of shop tells us how the guy that bought it new went on a PD hunt and really got into them.

Bystander says "can't believe he burned up that bbl" and shook his head.

My buddy, not much for words, super mellow.........piped up

"Sounds to me like he had a helluva time!"