Would you hunt , if you had to pay to do it ?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Carpshooter, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Carpshooter

Carpshooter New Member

I feel bless that I've never had to pay to go hunting , as I would just quit hunting if I had to hire anyone or pay to lease any land in order to hunt all the time !

I'm not ranting about outfitters or lease hunting rights of whiched I've never ever done any in my life !

Hunting is my favorite thing to do , and am glad that I've never had to resort to paying for it ! ;)

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Luckily I have never had to pay to go hunting either. I go hunting on my family property and I thoroughly enjoy hunting the old fashion way. Walking through the property, which includes woods and open fields mostly, and enjoying the scenery while I hunt.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have never gone hunting and for now I have no desire to. But I would imagine those who live in a more populated area may have no other choice but to pay to hunt.

4. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

If you hunt your own land then you paid for it. :D

5. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I own my own land and before that was fortunate that a friend had land I hunted on. Before that it was some pretty crummy land owned by a hotel I stayed at and there was a small fee. I love to hut and yes, if I didn't have personal land, I'd pay to hunt. As long as it wasn't a caged hunt, I have no problems with paying to hunt or hiring a guide to hunt such as a guided elk hunt or bear hunt out west.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No I have never had to pay to hunt, & yes I would just quit hunting if I had to pay for it !

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

O hell, I want to amend my last statement (yes I would pay) I do every year, I have to pay for my hunting & fishing license & my tags, so yes I guess I do pay to go hunting !

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

we all pay for our hunting licenses. If you hunt out-of-state you pay much more. non-resident fees pay most of the Fish&Wildlife bugets in the western states. I personally never had a problem with that. I have never paid a land-owner to hunt on his land but I respect his right to charge if he wants to. I have hunted in several states and had much enjoyment in all. I think it is great that we have so many options for hunting here in the USA.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Don't you pay for it every year when you buy a license? Did you have to take a hunter's safety course before being able to purchase your first license? I know here in NC you do. I forget what I paid for the course, that was almost 20 years ago but the license costs me $30/year.

10. CaptCraig

CaptCraig New Member

As more farms and ranches are being sold by those individuals that inheirit them, the land is broken down and sold into home subdivisions. Also more and more town are incorporating small ranches in order to gain more in tax money and once inside city limits, lose the right to hunt on them.

Already we have people that move to urban areas that need to live close to their jobs and want more ammenities that the local ag and grocery store access provides and therefore have no land to hunt on. Public lands are available with permit, but lets hope there aren't 60 guys already there walking around with rifles looks for a deer on a 30 acre patch...

There is nothing wrong with paying to hunt. If you bought your land, in a way you paid to hunt, expecially if you aren't farming or ranching on the land.

Also, for persons that want to hunt outside of their own backyard, there is little to do but pay to hunt. I am involved in the business side of hunting and my business partner operates a large outfitting business here in central Texas. He runs the 3rd largest dove hunt in the state and is the only outfitter inthe U.S. that offers color thermal hog hunts.

We have hunters coming from all over the world. Last week it was from Australia and in two weeks we have a group from Peurto Rico. We have guys fly into the area for business and we pick them out rent them a rifle and get them in a field to hunt and then back to business the next day. For more than 15 years he has been taking paying hunters into the fields.

For those that have grown up hunting family property, there is nothing wrong with it and it is a lot of fun to walk along the property where great grandpa was born. But for many, they will never be able to have that experience. There is a certain amount of education that comes with going on a guided hunt. Sometimes a little advise and teaching can go a long way.

I hunt here locally and pay, and would have to do the same if I went to North Dakota, it is just part of the process like buying a license and bullets. Everything these days costs money...

Thanks - Craig

11. fmj

fmj New Member

Like everything else our heritage is being sold out to the highest bidder. Its a sick, unfortunate state of affairs that hunting is becoming only for the rich.

And with that you will see an even greater errosion of our 2A rights in the future.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to hunt on public land when I lived in CA, OR and WA. I quit hunting when it became too dangerous. The last hunt I went on in WA was a nightmare. I still have a hard time believing what went on and I was there. I packed up and went home after the second time I was shot at. I did not know of anyone with private land and could not afford to pay to hunt so I stopped. I would love to go elk hunting again but $4000 for a guided hunt is beyond anything I can justify. I am considering a guided cow elk hunt that would not be so expensive. I am too old to go it alone and get an elk out by myself. I dont know anyone here that wants an old tag a long.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No I have never taken a hunter`s safety course, but then us old farts don`t have to !

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I no longer hunt, but where I live, in Florida, there are tens of thousands of acres of public and public/private partnership lands to shoot on.

The well healed hunters around here hunt on private preserves where the deer are fed year-round, fields of fire are maintained, feed plots are tended by hired hands and there is someone to clean your game while you have a drink in the club-house. The fenced preserves, to me, are more like harvesting then hunting. You show up in the morning, go to your assigned stand, and wait on the deer to show up for it's regular breakfast.

The white tail deer is so plentiful around here that it is dangerous driving to work before daylight. My wife has killed two and wounded one with a Kia, she may make Boone and Crocket this year :) I hear a lot of sad hunting stories from people who can't seem to be in the right place at the right time..........

15. fmj

fmj New Member

Its sickening around here really. We have a serious whitetail problem. We have LOTS of 'em. Ins. companies cry about deer vehicle collisons, farmers cry about crop damage. But do you think you can get a piece of private land to hunt.

Greedy hunters lock up a 100s of acres but only able to take a few deer and truly can only hunt so many acres. Farmers double dipping the system by leasing to hunters for BIG$$$ then turning around and getting big $$ for crop damage with crop Ins.

In my case i got pushed off a small 40 acre space by an old greedy bastard telling the land owner that if i was hunting there HE WOULDNT...so the land owner tossed me. The old man has 4 different places in 3 counties to hunt....almost 200 acres. Now if that old bastard hunted EVERY day, he STILL couldnt cover all that ground. Pure GREED! Yet myself and 3 of my friends have 0 space to hunt...unless we decide to put our kids in harms way and hunt the public war zones.

And these same greedy SOB's are the ones to cry the loudest about "our heritage is dying cause no kids are getting into it" Thats because the fathers of these kids that MIGHT be interested cant find anywhere TO hunt so the kids never get the taste and they find something else to be interested in.

16. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I do pay to hunt. Every month when I make the mortgage payment to the bank for the land I bought a few years ago.

I had hunted on two different properties over the years and when the second place dried up (the farmer who was leasing it for crops lost the lease) I decided it was finally time to buy something. I found a piece in my price range, very low, and now own 18 acres. Some of it is tillable and I rent that to a farmer for about 1/3 of the annual mortgage.

I don't mind paying as I am getting something for the money that I put out. Eventually I will have it paid off and it will be mine.

What I don't think I could do is pay an outfitter to hunt. I only hunt for the fun and meat. Haven't shot a buck in years and the does around here are plentiful. Meat in the freezer is my main concern and if I paid a outfitter to be able to harvest a deer, then I might as well go buy beef at the grocery store. It would be way cheaper per lb.

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Here in Texas,Whitetail deer hunting is a major business.It brings in MILLION's of dollars to the land owners,local businesses,and the state wildlife dept.
    Unless you/your family has land,or you know someone that will let you hunt on theirs,it's going to cost you some serious coin$$$.

On average a deer lease-not a year round hunting lease,will run a hunter $1000-1500.That's just your average run of the mill farm land with run of the mill whitetails-Not the big trophy racks.
    Most of the Trophy ranches get $2500 and up for (1) buck,and they sell management hunts for around $1500. I don't see how most people can afford to do this,but every year,these places are booked solid by people that want to shoot a Trophy buck.

We're trying to work a deal for a lease next season,a year round lease on a huge ranch about 1 1/2hrs away from me.It hasn't been hunted in 8 yrs,and it's high fenced with all kinds of exotic game on it,and huge whitetail from what we were told.It even has a 80 acre lake on it,that is stocked with fish.
    The man that owned this place passed away several years ago,and he left his whole estate to the woman that was his housekeeper/nurse.
    A guy that I know was hired to be a lease agent for the whole ranch,and he's leased other parts of it to the general public,but he wants only people that he knows to get on this 3200 acre high fenced part of the ranch.
    It will cost us $2000 a year to get on this place,but we will get to use it year round,and there will only be guy's that we know hunting on it.Plus,most landowners will come down on their prices when a group of guy's get on a place and work with the owner to do improvements,and help maintain the ranch.
    The place that I've hunted on for many years has always been free for me to hunt on,but the owner knew that I spent around $1000 a year maintaining the property for her,and I always gave her family 1 deer for thanks.

18. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

here in Arizona 83% of the land is public land

19. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

I really dont have a choice, unless I tried hunting rats with a blowgun off my back deck maybe....

I'm going hog hunting with a buddy in Texas next february, splitting a 2night/3day ranch stay ($600), the rndtrip flight for one will be at least $150....then there are hog dressing/gratuity/meat shipping fees to incur...

I honestly dont mind, that money is supporting a local american market or economy.

I can certainly identify with never having to pay for something, and then when having to, it being a pretty good buzzkill.

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I live in Colorado and am going hunting this coming weekend for the first time since I was a kid. But I run a hotel. I work with outfitters all the time. They do a service to the people who live in the big city. Lets face it. If you live in a heavily populated area you are going to need help if you want to hunt. I know they are not cheap. And I would not pay big bucks to go hunting. But for some people it is a great service. One of my outfitter aquantances has offered to let me join a hunt for free. I may take him up on it just to see what he does.