Would you have shot this guy?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by cbw, Jun 4, 2009.

1. cbw

cbw New Member

Hey guys, I got this off the LCP site. It's a great video for all to see IMO. I hope it makes us all think about how fast shtf and the decisions that we may have to make based on what we see or do not see. You will have to scroll up the page to get to the video. Sorry about that.

PUT THE GUN DOWN. Police shooting.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The link did not work for me.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Yup, shot in the back! Someone's in trouble with this vid out there!!

4. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

Nope. Read the post on the video. The guy was pulling another gun as he was putting the rifle down. The guy behind could see it and popped the BD. Looks like a good shoot when you look for it. You can still see the pistol in the guys hand when he goes down.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If it is the video I think it is, the BG does pull a handgun from his right side and Back up officer puts him down.

WTS, I believe this is a training video. They are too non-chalont after the shoot and make no effort to secure him in handcuffs or seperate him from the two guns. AND, how many bad guys have HK-93's?

6. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

The cover officer saw the second gun coming out. FATS training scenarios often use situations like this to guage your reaction. It's a proven fact that tunnel vision will make you zero in on the immediate threat, which is the gun you see. If you read a lot of shooting and post shooting reports, the bad guy is very often shot in the weapon hand, or other body part very close to where the weapon was displayed, or presented from.

I'd say Robo is right about it being training. Three shots doesn't guarantee he's down and out to the extent I'd reholster, and I instruct that even if there is obvious evidence like massive head trauma etc., he still gets cuffed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  7. cbw

cbw New Member

It could be a training video I do not know, I do know that it's a good video that demonstrates how fast things can go wrong. It makes sense to train with material like this.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Before the llink was fixed, I downloaded the .FLV file and watched it in a video edit program, unfortunately, the screen image is 2"X2" and resolution not good enough for me to pick up the handgun.

For a training OP, the perp went down pretty quick!!

9. WDB

WDB New Member

It's a good shoot and I think robo is correct this may be a training vid. It does show how quick things can happen.

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Would I have shot the guy?

If I saw him pulling a second gun, yes but I don't know that I would have seen that from the front. I would have been damn happy to have backup covering the suspsect from behind and saving my ass in the process.

11. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

In todays lawyer controlled world you cannot afford to be "psychic" in a shootout.

Just because he had a gun on him, maybe even his hand on it, you don't have the legal right anymore to shoot someone in the back.

Most left wing states today hardly allow you to defend yourself unless you are allready being shot at.

Something to think about.

12. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

You can see the gun in his hand when he goes down. I think it was a jusitfied shooting. He shouldnt have reached for that pistol.

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I think in a real situation, most all of the time, you will not have a backup covering your 6, that close. If it would have been just the first LEO facing the perp, I think he would have had to wait just long enough to see, recognize a gun and shoot in defense. The LEO is already on target and would have the advantage. The perp did have a gun and was intended on using it, therefore, that would have been a justified shooting IMO.

Jack

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Back, Front. Does not matter one bit. The SCOTUS has NEVER said you have to be shot at first. One quote from a Justice "Why is it Police Officers always seem to RETURN fire?".

You absolutely do not have to let him fire the first shot. You absolutely do not have to let him draw his weapon and or point it at you. An Officer (and a civilian in most states) can use deadly force to protect a third person. The Officer that fired the shots was clearly shooting in defense of the other Officer.

GOOD SHOOT in any book!

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

As the officer from the point of view of the camera, I would not have shot when the first officer ( who was behind the subject ) did.

The second, cover officer, announced gun, had a clear angle and that was a good shoot.

I am 100% with Robo on this one.

The first time I watched it, I did see his left hand straying, but I did not see the gun until after I read the text and watched it again. I did hear the second officer announce "GUN!" and that would have been enough for me.

Training video or not, that is a powrful piece of video and it needs to be viewed by everyone who carries.

Excellent Post!!

JD

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Not to get tooo OT, but this is an example of the reason you should keep your hands extremely visible when dealing with a LEO. The LEO might not be aware your butt is itching.

17. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

As someone who had a step dad that worked as a career L.E.O. in a major west coast city until he retired, I can tell you the average Jo-armchair-commando doesn't have a clue the legal hell you go through after a shooting, deadly or not. As many experts will tell you, "every bullet has a lawyer attached to it".

You don't have to let anybody do anything robocop, you could just walk up to anyone and put a bullet in their head,....doesn't mean it will legaly hold up in court just because you think you did it to save your butt.

18. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Training video or not....it shows the keen instincts & eyes
    that an officer has to have to survive on the streets.
    I watched the video several times.

19. m72law

m72law New Member

DEFINITELY a training video...cop or actor closest to camera (with the berretta) was way to calm walking away from camera..? it was a good train vid either way...& it was over as soon as it started...dem guys wasnt messing around..it would have been great if obama had been riding by in his limo & saw this taking place:)

20. m72law

m72law New Member

best way to disarm a perp..if you dont have a gun...talk about bringing a knife to a car fight![ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjY-TAMD3Eg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjY-TAMD3Eg[/ame]