Firearms Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,105 Posts
I doubt taurus ever supplied and firearms to the CIA or any other US goverment department. At best they coppied something but it's a low end firearm and not worth much, same can be said for your keltec in rough condition.
The "CIA" is just part of the model designation, model 850. I don't think there's supposed to be any implication that the Central Intimidation Agency used them.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Taurus makes "low end" firearms either. When you start making comparisons between 1911's, a Taurus next to JD'S Night Hawk may make it seem so, but there is nothing wrong with Taurus' quality.

It is a copy though, in some respects. So are the PT series of semi autos. Taurus bought machinery and designs from Beretta (hence the similarity to the 92F) and Smith and Wesson, so the similarities to S&W revolvers make sense. There's nothing wrong with a "copy" either. If there was the 1911 and AR markets would belong to Colt's Manufacturing alone. Same with CZ clones. Just in the last few months Armalite has started advertising their "new" AR 24. Just a copy of a CZ 75.

Taurus' manufacturing plant is in Brazil. That doesn't make them any less usable or of lower quality. Springfield Armory has 1911 frames made in Brazil. The Springfield XD is made in frikkin' Croatia. Croatia? Are you kidding me? Not really known for their firearms export industry, but people are snapping them up.

The Kel Tec is a P3AT. I have one as a back up/ cover gun. That is the sole purpose of that gun. I've put about 300 rounds of ball and Hydra Shock through it with no issues. I have a Taurus 66 that is a woods gun. Hundreds of full bore 357 rounds with no issues.

Both guns are lower in price, but neither is "low end". I would grab the Taurus in a second.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
I wasn't trying to come off like a *****, hope you didn't take it that way.

Given the choice I'd opt for a any of the pistols (1911 design) you mentioned over the Taurus, except the Smith but that choice is based on some of the companies past policy, not product quality.

I only used the 1911 comparison because off hand, I can't think of more than 4 companies that as part of their a major sales, offer double action revolvers. Smith, which probably dominates the market by virtue of sheer models offered, Ruger, Taurus and Charter Arms who seems to be making a comeback. Never owned a Charter Arms, so I won't comment, but of the remaining three, I would pick Ruger first, Taurus then S&W (same reason as above).

Just thinking that a crappy guitar for a beat Kel Tec hide out gun for a Taurus 850 makes a pretty good deal for the OP.

As far as the CIA using Taurus firearms... I am sure somewhere, sometime, somebody got dead by an unknown person from an unknown country with no government ties, using a Taurus. I am not into advertising but I am thinking that's not a good angle :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.