Would you fire a warning shot?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by jeffxc, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trip286

trip286 New Member

Never. Warnings are for people who's lives or families are NOT in imminent danger. If you have to shoot, you never shoot for anything except to stop a threat or to stop an assailant's assault. No more, no less, ever.

2. techiej

techiej New Member

Nope. If I draw it will be to shoot the threat until it is no longer a threat.

3. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

+1

Thomas

4. levelcross

levelcross New Member

+1 TRIPP

If you hear my shot...I missed!

5. dan01

dan01 New Member

No warning shots from me........Only in a definite self defence situation would I display my weapon just prior to aiming and pulling the trigger.

Dan

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Warning shot - center of mass... repeat if necessary

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i don't believe in warning shots. the only thing i ever use warning shots for are strange dogs in my yard that i don't want around. if someone has put me in the position that i feel the need for a firearm, then there are no warning shots. i have already been placed in possible imminent danger, so there for i feel if i need to shoot, then it's because i feel threatened.

i think where she messed up, was going back into the house, then picking up the gun. had she picked it up and left and he had followed, or just left, then it might have had a different outcome. but the going back in is what did the most damge to her case.

8. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Fire warning shot = 20 years in jail.

Shoot your husband and say it was self defense = you walk free...

Of course you new to prove he was going to seriously harm you... But what if he just so happened to reach behind his back like he had a gun and you shot? Ik I wouldn't wait to see the gun to draw my own...

Here in NYS you need have a duty to retreat unless your on your own property. However if someone stands on your front lawn and has no visible weapon and is not looking to harm you, then put your gun away and just call the cops.

Again tho.. You shoot and kill the other person in your own house, there's only 1 story to listen to!

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

9. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Only considered a warning if I miss, I won't miss.

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

11. mcb

mcb New Member

+ 1 well said Trip

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Her real problem was that she re-entered the house after safely fleeing from the attacker. At that point any and all self-defense claims are gone. Had she shot him she may be facing a life sentence...I do believe, however, that she needs a better attorney...she should not have been convicted, no one was harmed whatsoever in this case. 20 years is a bit excessive but indicative of what happens when mandatory sentencing laws take away a judges discretion...a widesweeping law aimed at keeping violent criminals in jail catches an abuse victim in it's net.

13. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I would fire a warning shot but I think the bullet will get there before the report. The perp may have a chance to duck but he would have to be really quick. The follow-up shot would be coming directly behind the warning shot. So, there should be not doubt what the intent would be.

14. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I would only fire warning shots in the rare case that the act of drawing my weapon reduced the threat. Happened to a friend of mine actually. No other firearms were involved but it was a mob of people trapping him, that quickly dispersed when he drew his pistol. That left a few drunk idiots and one in particular that is very lucky he had a friend nearby to talk some sense into him after the warning shot was fired at his feet. Long story short, my friend called the police immediately after he got home (a block away) and the LEO's said he did it right. In the OP story the big mistake was going back into the house instead of finding a phone. The 20 year sentence is ridiculous though.

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

It depends on your definition of a "warning shot."

If I can back away from trouble, and the perp continues to follow me, then I would shoot the perp in the foot or leg. That would be his warning shot.

If I cannot back away or he already has me gripped, I would first use judo to sweep him off his feet. I have done that several times in the past already, and it has worked really well. Then as they are falling to the ground, which usually takes 2 seconds, I would back away and draw my weapon.

If they get back up and try to close the distance again, I would as I said before shoot them in the foot or leg, and that would be their warning shot.

After all that, if they are still somehow closing, like a zombie or mummy, in a Michael Jackson video, I would shoot them again. Probably in a shoulder. Probably not in the belly or chest. That would be their second warning shot.

Note that all of my warning shots would be going into their bodies, because I do not believe in wasting ammo.

Waste not, want not.

It would take a lot of PCP in their system for them to keep on coming at this point, with two warning shots lodged within their bodies, probably foot and shoulder.

If they still kept coming, and I still could not back away and get away, the next shot would be to their chest, somewhere.

I have not yet decided if at that point I would give them a sucking chest wound to their right chest, or finish them off with a shot to their heart in their left chest or dead center chest. I just don't know.

So those are my own definitions of warning shots.

I was in that situation once, where I might have had to do that.

Fortunately when I yelled "stop!" the perp stopped. Had he not stopped, he would have gotten shot somewhere that night.

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

My "warning shot" will connect around the sternum. The second non-warning shot near the right collar bone. And the you should of payed attention to my warning shot shot will be another 5-6 inches higher and back in line with the hole in the sternum

17. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

It makes more sense to put the first shot into the right or left collar bone, although the right is more merciful, since that is further away from the heart.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I know of no way to mercifully or humanely to shoot anybody with a firearm. Warnings consist of "STOP!" A shot across the bow is for navies. As far as picking your shot, on a moving target under extreme stress- Good luck. Me- shooting for the biggest piece I can see until it changes shape or catches on fire.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

You may want to rethink that idea. A good friend of mine was involved in a series of events extremely similar to that. He avoided a prison sentence, but at the cost of bankruptcy, a couple of years long legal battle, his wife (she left him because of the emotional distress), and his kids. In Texas, what is considered by many to be one of the less restrictive bastions of freedom in this country. Yeah, like I said, he avoided prison, but only by the skin of his teeth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.