Would you buy this gun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by spittinfire, Sep 15, 2008.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I found this gun online for $150 I've attached some of the pictures and the description. What do you guys think?
    I'm thinking it would make a great field gun, something to just drag thru the woods. I can load my own buckshot and use it for some close range stands we have set up.
    What do you guys think?

You are looking at a Unmarked ? .16 gauge 28" Full Pump Shotgun. Most of the original Blue remains. The forearm is in good condition. The stock has some scratches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

I'm pretty sure that it's some model of a Stevens/Savage.

The dovetail block just to the rear of the magazine tube in pic #3 is pretty distinctive.
    The only place I've seen it is on Stevens shotguns.

You will find them with many names---I've seen 620's with at least 15 different "Brands"
    on them.

3. spittinfire

If that is in fact what it is do you think the price is reasonable? It's a decent price for any weapon but would I be better off finding a cheap 1300 to drag thru the woods? A 12 ga would be a lot easier to find a wide range of ammo for... There's just something about a 16 ga that love though....

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

$150 isn't crazy high, and if you WANT it the price sounds fine. I hear you about
    16 gauges-----I've currently got 5 of them. Least I paid for one was $50 for a
    great mechanical but cosmetically challenged Remington Sportsman 58 auto. Most
    was around $600 for #51 of 500 when Ithaca re-introduced the 16 ga model 37 in the late 90's.

You do have a point about buying a 12 ga for a knock-around gun. Makes a lot of sense,
    and ammo is much more available.

5. mpoirier22114

mpoirier22114 New Member

that is a reasonable price but thats if you want it, a 12ga is easier to find ammo for, so ultimatley its up to you

6. h2oking

h2oking New Member

Let me put it this way I will give you $175.00 for it plus shipping. Just let me know and I will send you an FFL.

Ron

7. spittinfire

I made up my mind yesterday...I'm working on the deal right now. I found a good source for buckshot so I can use it in my tight deer stands. Does anyone have a receipe for reloading buckshot? I've only been able to find #1 and I prefer 00. Thanks for the input, I'll let you know when I get it.