Would this be good sd ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by tenntyrant, Jan 17, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

5.56 NATO hornady superformance 75 grain bth? If so I think I will stock up on some. Unless someone can tell me what would be better. I already have lots of American eagle 5.56 xm193 and American eagle 223 55gr from wal mart. Just want something a little heavier for self defense .

2. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

You'll need a fast twist rate to stabilize that big ol' bullet. Some 1:9 can handle them and some can't.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

What barrel twist do you have? If slower than 1:7 you definitely should test a small amount before stocking up on 75gr.

4. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

That stuff sounds expensive... Go with xm855.. It's steel core armor piercing ammo 62gr.. Palmetto has lake city usually 350 bucks for 1k rds plus 12 bucks shipping... I've turned to PMC x tac line of 855 and love it... Only about 300 bucks for 1k!!

5. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Yes I have a colt with a 1/7 twist and 16 inch barrel

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The ammo that you described should perform very well with your rifle, i have a 1:9 twist and at the moment im using 77g blackhills HP.its performimg pretty good in my rifle, i could just imagine how it would perform out of your rifle

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

(X)M855 is a horrible choice for SELF DEFENSE. Biggest reason being the imminent pass through risk.

If you're planning on going to war, THEN, it would be a great choice.

Heavy projectiles such as the 77gr SMK(MK262 MOD O) are great for extended distances. Far beyond anything that would be constitute reasonable "self defense" distance.

A 40-50 grain HP would be ideal for upclose work. Something that's going to come apart on impact, explode, if you will... minimal chance for shoot through.

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Look at Winchester PDX1's in a .223. It's a 60 grain hollow point

9. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I would never run to my ar15 for self defense in my home.. That's what a 12 ga 870 is for.... Or your pistol if u have one... I look at my ar as a 100 yd + gun since as of now I have a scope on it.. Just my opinion..

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The heavies like you describe are for long range use. Shooting something like that in your house is just asking for trouble. There are so many better choices for HD than an AR, like the Rem. 870 described above. If I had no other choice other than an AR I think I'd go with something light like a 50 gr. Hornady Varmit Grenade. That way it will shatter on impact and not penetrate 5 or 6 walls and kill someone in the house next door.

11. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Or the house next to that one, or the house next to that one... Lol

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I am really looking at BVAC 500-round boxes of 64gr. pointed soft point (Cheaper than Dirt's own brand). The boxes are $175 (.35 each). My AR is 1:9. I have a few hundred XM855, but I just don't think FMJ is the way to go during social unrest or neighborhood defense.

What do y'all think of 64gr. PSP?

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

855 would be horrible for SD.

I'm a fan of heavy specially designed well expanding ammunition. Look at what they are doing w/ the .300BLK; large, expanding, specially designed bullets.

I would prefer an AR for AD over anything. More capacity and greater versatility to name a couple things.

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I think a 64gr PSP sounds just right if your gun will shoot it OK. Some guns are picky eaters. I have a 50-50 selection of ammo between FMJ's and SP's. It all depends on whether your target is soft or hard, so I have a little of each.

15. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2vaJCBQTs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55CkeT7qdtM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Idk about you guys but to me the 855 slows down much faster in gelatin that the 223 55gr does...

Like i said before... Self defense doesn't have to be indside your home.. What if you have a lot of property and u see 100 yards away some punks are comin to get you... Hypothetical of course... I would go for the thing with more stopping power... Yeah u do have to worry about it passing through but that's why u should always know your target and beyond...
    Once again!!! Self defense does not need to be in CQB to be self defense...

2 snipers staring at eachother through their scopes... U kill before being killed... Which is acting in self defense... 300 yards away from one another...

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good point about distances but in general SD shootings take place in close proximity and should considering legal liability.

The 2 snipers scenario isn't one of self defense. It's a matter of war which is completely different.

17. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I agree, if you start shooting folks a 100 yards or more, you might have some 'splainin' to do the prosecutor, judge and jury. A SD situation is far different from a SHTF one.

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

In my opinion an AR has only one role in home defense...suppressing fire till I get to my 12ga. :)

19. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Again is why I said I think ur crazy for going to a ar15 for sd in your home... My property is only 20 yrds wide and would expect my ar rounds to go way further then That...

U go into a gun store and say I want a self defense gun and they will give you either a shotgun or a pistol... I'm just saying an ar is the wrong gun in sd all together...

My long range comment is for a shtf situation but to me **** wi hit the fan too if someone breaks into my house to try and rob or hurt me..

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Unless my home is invaded with 5+ BGs with AKs,i will never use my M4 for home defense.even a frangible round will go though a thin wall "or 2" IF You miss your target,no matter what bullet grain you use. I keep my G31 15+1,nightsights,w/tac light on my nightstand for my primary defense.then my 1911 8+1 is just a few more feet away if i need it,along with my M4 "the show stopper".