Would like your input on a .22 target pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Dearhunter, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I am going to get back into competitive shooting. Mainly Bullseye three gun shooting. When I was on a shooting team in the military, we were issued a Hi Standard Victor and Matched colt .45.

Thats been a long time ago. One hand shooting is going to be tough for me to get use to again.
    At my age I am not looking for National Championship. Just competitive.

I have looked at Ruger, Beretta, S&W, and Browning.

I am Leaning toward the Browning Target .22. at this time. I like the trigger and features. I want to stay under five hundred dollars.

I would appreciate your input.

2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Without question, a Ruger MkIII 22/45 Target model would be my suggestion.

3. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

In that price range, it seems like Ruger offers a lot of value and a platform that can accept modifications as funds become available. I don't shoot competively, but have been thinking about it, and my basic research keeps bringing me back to Ruger, and sometimes to Browning Buckmark.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'll second the ruger. Most of the competitive shooters in my club use and recommend them.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Deerhunter,

With you we shot the High Standard Military Match Model in the Army. Later I shot silhouette matches with a High Standard Victor. Wish I had it back. Someday I will locate another one in good shape. Anyway at the present time I have a Browning Benchmark which I really like. And I know Ruger builds some good target models. But I would go with the Bench Mark probably. Just like the feel of it better than the Ruger. Not knocking the Ruger mind you! It is a personal preference issue.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For under $500 you can't beat Browning and Ruger for rimfire target pistols. The Buckmark, 22/45, and MK models are all excellent guns that will out-perform the skills of about 99% of the shooting public in my opinion.

Advantage: whichever possesses the fit, finish, and features you prefer.

7. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

i strongly suggest the browning because i have a buckmark, hi power, and gold hunter and there is one thing in common with all of them: OUTSTANDING quality and accuracy. however, if you decide to go with ruger, make sure you buy it from the shelf. do not order it. ruger is not currently accepting new orders because they are so far behind in production. if you order it, or buy from a dealer who plans to order it, you're gonna be waiting a while.

8. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

Top shot was shooting gumballs with a Browning 22. Very impressive. I like the old High Standard Military HD, but they are hard to find.

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

+1 on High Standard but I prefer Victor model which you are already familiar. Problem is its kinda heavy. At your price level, Ruger is probably your best bet. Can be modified when budget allows, parts readily available, and cheap magazines.

It's a tough call because if you were on the Army's shooting team, you need or could actually use the tighter tolerances of a higher end pistol but your not going to find it at your price level. Most shooters can't maximize the inherent accuracy of their weapons but if your already at the higher level, it may be difficult to go to a "stock" gun.

S&W has a loyal following but it's $998. Maybe used ?

10. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I'd go with a Ruger Mark III target model. I just have the standard with the 4.75 inch barrel but it still shoots like a dream.

11. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

Browning is good but I own a ruger Mark III 22/45 they have the 1911 grips. This is my favorite gun to shoot and can easily be up graded for competition.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i own the Ruger Mark III 22/45 target model and find it's accuracy and performance very good and one i would recommend to anyone looking for a quality 22 rimfire pistol. i have shot the Browning Buckmark years ago, fantastic pistol, only drawback, the high price tag. another one of my favorites from years ago and one i wish i had bought when the prices were more reasonable, the Colt Woodsman, another fantastic pistol and very accurate. plus side for the Rugers is the atermarket parts and accessories. dozens and dozens of parts to from mild to wild.

13. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Ruger MkIII with the bull barrel. Amazingly accurate and reliable gun.

14. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

My Mark II Gov model melts into my hand better than any gun I've shot.

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

High Standard Victor or Supermatic Trophy. If not a High Standard then a S&W Model 41.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I prefer the Hi-Standards and Rugers with the 6-3/4"

bull barrels. Hi-Standards are through the roof

lately,(priced mine out at 1200$+ recently)

so I'd consider a NIB Ruger MKIII.

The difference is, since the Rugers have the Nambu-style

slide, you can mount a scope on them.

17. kycol

kycol New Member

I picked up my last hi standard used at local gun store for 219 and when I hand it over to strangers at the range and let them try it they are just in awe of it. I love the old ones made in Connecticut. Mine is over fifty years old and shoots like a dream

18. mybigguns

mybigguns New Member

I recently shot my buddies mkIII target and wished I had bought it instead of my Beretta.
    Not that I don't like the Beretta but the trigger and accuracy seem much better to me on the mkIII.

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

20. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

One of my next purchases!!! It's been on the list for awhile. How did you like yours?