Would it bother you to pick up your most valuable/collectable gun if the S did HTF?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sputnik1988, Apr 12, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Would it bother you to pick up your most valuable/collectible gun if the S did HTF?

I'm not one to really discuss the doomsday topic and don't base my life around the idea. But after going through my ammo stash, I found that the rifle I have the most ammo for is also the one I am most proficient with... Which also happens to be an all numbers matching, 100% original, near mint condition Lee Enfield No. 4 MkI. Not to mention its sentimental value. After some thought I found that for practical reasons, this would be my best option if the need ever arose, but somehow the thought of destroying it makes me cringe. I realize if it came to that point condition means nothing and collectibles are no longer such, but still. We aren't talking total and forever collapse, just a major issue be it short or long term.

I have very little concern of this happening, it just made me think.

So, would you have second thoughts if you were in a similar position? This thread is meant for the thought not a debate about prepping so lets try to stay on topic.;)

Obviously the best answer is to buy more ammo for another rifle and practice but that's not the point.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

I make it a point not to own super collectible stuff just for that reason. I'd hate to be pushed into using a collectors item for what it was originally built to do. If, for instance, I lost control of a chainsaw and had to drive myself to the hospital bleeding like a stuck pig and the closest mode of transportation to me was an Edsel or Studebaker..... then yeah, I'd tear the hell out of it getting to the hospital so I could live to regret it later.

3. sputnik1988

This gave me a good laugh, I needed that:p.

4. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Guns are made to be shot. So I'd be using whatever I could in a SHTF situation. Chances are if you have use for a gun in a SHTF situation you probably have more important things to worry about.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I would be thinking "Damn! I'm glad I got that (FILL IN THE BLANK)":p

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

??? And using it would destroy it how?

We have a style of watercraft up here called a 'Guide Boat'. It's a sort of a cross between a canoe, a rowboat, and a few other influences I'm sure. They're were developed way before anyone even knew how to spell 'Adirondacks'. They are handmade, from wood, from scratch, and a beautiful example of form following function. They're also expensive. So what do people who buy them do? They hang them up as an objets d′art status symbols. In fact that's what they're bought for. The boats never see the water.

It makes me sad to see an object of man's craft, prevented from being used for their utilitarian purpose.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

If i got ammo for it its getting used.

8. BigB

BigB New Member

Wouldn't bother me at all. When it comes down to it, it is just stuff! You can't take it with you when you die!!!!

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sputnik,

Think of it this way! If the SHTF you will be fighting to defend you and your family's life and friends as well as food and property. I have several collectibles and would think nothing about using one if I had ample ammunition and was proficient with it like you stated! I would be honored to take some of my prize possessions to smoke some AH trying to harm my family or take our food, water and steal property! As the old saying goes "Come Get It!" But bring your own body bags! They will not be furnished:D Bottom line regarding your weapon/s of choice, you better be proficient when it comes down to what could happen with SHTF. I do not think most people really understand the total concept, impact and effects of when and if SHTF. Severe issue with #1 Survival, protection of family, property, food and water! And it seems to be possibly looming closer than most people think. I read this week that O is or did assigned himself presidential power to put all commerce at his control and discretion along with forced dedication of the citizens to military service and industry assignments in a national disaster. "Tyranny" comes to mind! If you throw in the rumors of these Newly built and in the process FEMA Camps as really being interment camps. And rumors of thousands of plastic caskets being stored around the country and other issues it gets pretty frightening. And something is no doubt on the horizon if these are true? If anyone has the facts about these rumors I would like to see the confirmation. Because if it is true something is coming fast! We better be planning as well as we are already being deceived by our Government that is supposed to be here to serve the people not the people serving he government.:rolleyes:

10. downsouth

downsouth New Member

If I had a 25,000 dollar european drilling and needed to defend my family with it, I would ride that thing like Rooster Cogburn did little blackie in TRUE GRIT.

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

I don't care how much a gun cost its worth using it to keep my family alive bc a gun is just a material thing family isn't

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I shoot all my old guns from the pre-1900 and early 1900's. I ain't waiting for SHTF. They were made to shoot. I've hunted with guns made in the 1880's.

13. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Wouldn't bother me to shoot my 16ga Sportsman:D. Also wouldn't bother me to shoot my .22WMR, they were made to be used, not to look pretty sitting on the wall or mantle or in the gun cabinet.

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Actually my two most collectible guns are my SHTF guns!! My M1903- I love the .30-06 round and the '03 is just so accurate (will be replaced when I find MY M1 :D) and the Medusa (obvious reasons.. :p)

15. sputnik1988

I completely agree with you guys, I would use anything I could get to defend my family, I was just stating how it would suck to be beating around with a collectible, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had to.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I have guns that I don't carry because I would not want them damaged or lost by LEO evidence idiots "if" I was forced to use my CCW.

However, SHTF is different. If it gets that bad I doubt any Cop will be showing up to investigate and trying to disarm me after social collapse would not be a wise decision.

Tack

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't have any "collectable" firearms, and wouldn't want to know if any of mine became collectable. I like tools that work and are worked. I got this great-looking knife for Christmas one year; i have never carried it due to the price and fancy finish. Today, i just received the cheaper version that i will feel comfortable carrying; i like it much more than the one that i assume is still in the back of the gunsafe collecting dust.

Dude, you should seriously consider getting a Medusa tattoo or something; i think you are in love with that thing. :jealousy smiley:

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

lol, that Medusa is probably one of the best guns you couls possibly get for SHTF. It's hard NOT to find ammo that will work in it. :D
    I hope to get one some day.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

There are working guns and fun guns. If I had to make a quick departure, I would abandon all of my fun guns, all of my antique firearms, all of my historical firearms and grab my $250.00 Romanian AK with the cheap dura-bake finish and ten 30 round mags.

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If I had a gun that I didn't shoot it would be because I was waiting on parts. If I own it, I shoot it. I even make BP cartridges when needed.