Would it be rude to ask?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bigbomar4, Sep 7, 2012.

1. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I live next to a school so the city decided to make my whole street a no parking zone except for the part right in front of my house. The house next to me is a rental same as mine. One of the new renters has started parking his POS astro van in front of my house. This guy also thinks the perfect time to work on his Harley is at 7 in the morning on a saturday under the carport that is right next to my bedroom window. Do any of yall think it would be rude to ask the guy to not park his van in front of my house any more?

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

No it wouldn't

Just be very polite, and tactful when you go about asking him.

Don't get upset just calmly ask him if he could work on his harley a little later in the day.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would start small, simply ask him to park his crappy van somewhere else, but politely. See how that goes, lay back, be cool, let him consider you to be the friendly neighbor... And then a few weeks later bring up the Harley stuff.

Just like our government, a little at a time until you get him matching to the beat of YOUR drum.

4. levelcross

levelcross New Member

+1 on both of the above.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

You said he works on his Harley.... Is it safe to ask???

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

A lot of the so called scary bikers are actually some of the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

OP, do exactly as trip said. Be nice, and start out small. When you move pass the van, and ask about the bike thing, try complimenting his bike first. That will get you started on a good note.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm not a biker or a biker spokesperson, but I do have biker friends...
    They have a term of "endearment", called RUBs. Means "rich urban biker". They're the ones you hear in the Harley store, waiting to get their bikes serviced, who are sharing tips on how to get their petunias to bloom. I'm not kidding, I had the sweet pleasure of giggling my ass off while accidentally eavesdropping on the conversation.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Discuss the problem with the neighbor that is always the best first step. Who knows, he may have no idea he was irritating you and might just work with you.

He has the "right" to park his car anywhere on the public street that you do. He also has the right to work on his motorcycle at 7:00 AM, unless he is violating some noise ordinance in your city, so you probably want to approach him in a friendly and neighborly way. If you piss him off, he will probably have all of his friends park on your street and extend his mechanic hours to 5:00 AM. (I would)

9. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Let's see: a renter, part-time Harley mechanic with a junky van, living on a street with ONE parking area... Yep, demand that he move it AND respect your rights to sleep in!

Just kidding, I'd go with what Chainfire said. Definitely approach him with the attitude that you guys can maybe work something out rather than what you want him to do. If he finds out that you're an OK sort of guy, he may even decide on his own to wait till 7:30 to work on his bike. :D

10. tri70

tri70 New Member

Ask him and be polite, if he does not seam to cooperate then speak to the landlord and tell him of the problem, he may consider the loss of renters a priority.

Do you think he will stay for a long term stay or short term?

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

You can ask and if its done correctly i don't think it would be rude. But is he breaking any rules? I think asking him to not run a Harley at 7 am is fine too.

12. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Why are you sleeping in that late?

I also have to ask. Is in front of your house the only place you can park? If not, why is his parking there an issue?

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

If he drinks, offer him a beer to start the conversation.

14. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Burn the van, piss on the Harley and take a crap on his front steps. These simple things should get you off to a good start with him :)

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A public street means he can park in front of your place and he has every right to do so. As long as you can park your vehicle in front of your place, it's really no harm no foul. If he's taking your only parking spot, then I'd have a polite conversation with him. Otherwise, you have no case.

Check your city's noise ordinances. There will be hours listed when a person can make loud noises like running power tools, a lawn mower or working on a loud motorcycle. If the law or statute says seven AM, you lose.

The options are to move or learn to live with it.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Or...
    Park your nicer vehicle there. That doesn't help with the noise, but it helps the view.

You can always ask the city to do away with that parking spot.

17. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

This is a common misconception. Many people believe that a person can make as much noise as they wish between certain hours. This is not really the case in most cities and states. Take the town that I live near for example. Other than the exceptions (read below) there may not be any noise between the hours of seven AM and ten PM in excess of sixty dB. If a vehicle's exhaust is noticeable beyond fifty feet it is illegal.
    58.07 EXCEPTIONS. The provisions herein shall not apply to:
    The emission of sound for the purpose of alerting persons to the time of
    day, the existence of an emergency, or the approved testing thereof.
    The emission of sound in the performance of emergency work, including
    snow removal and maintenance of trees.
    Rail and air transportation and public mass transportation vehicles.
    Emergency vehicles such as fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars.
    Construction and maintenance activities between seven o’clock (7:00)
    a.m. and ten o’clock (10:00) p.m. Maintenance activities shall be non-routine
    operations, temporary in nature, and conducted infrequently.
    The emission of sound in fireworks displays licensed by the City.
    Noncommercial public speaking activities, except those controlled by
    Sections 58.10 and 58.11.
    Equipment used for public health and safety purposes.
    Church or clock bells or chimes.
    Parades or processions for which a parade permit has been issued,
    provided the conditions of a permit are complied with.
    Motor vehicle radios, tape decks or players, or other standard equipment
    used and intended for the use and enjoyment of the occupants, provided the
    sound emitting therefrom is not audible for more than fifty (50) feet from the
    vehicle.
    Amplified music used in a nonresidential district in conjunction with a
    civic or religious celebration.
    Unamplified live music provided, sponsored, or funded, in whole or in
    part, by a government entity.
    Mobile radio or telephone signaling devices.
    Vehicle horns or similar devices when used to warn of possible danger.
    Domestic tools including lawnmowers and snow blowers when used
    between the hours of seven o’clock (7:00) a.m. and nine o’clock (9:00) p.m.
    Normal operation of air conditioning equipment.

I am sure that the OP's city ordinance is similar in nature.

Here tools such as air impacts and what not are not considered domestic tools.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  18. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You don't own the street, he can park were ever it is legal.
    As far as working on his bike at 7 in the morning, what are you still doing sleeping? Get up don't be so lazy. Move your bedroom to the other side. He isn't in your yard.

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Curbside parking on a public street is not regulated, he can park in front of your house. Maybe you can park in front of his house instead of in front of yours? Or borrow a crappier car or three and park them in front of his place for awhile (I have a few that would qualify).

As to the Harley work, do as suggested. Ease into it, compliment him on the bike and tell him how you have admired Harleys even though you never have ridden bikes (or whatever is true for you-- or as much as you can.) Then mention that you sleep late and it disrupts your sleep when he starts his bike at 6:00AM.

If that doesn't work just casually mention how your bedroom window has a clear field of fire over his work area, and you just happen to have a .44 Magnum that needs to be fired once in awhile. :)

20. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Well thanks but I dont think Im gonna have any more problems from him. Just walked past his house and there is an eviction notice on his front door.