Would a Glock 1911 put all US makers 6' under?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by DodgerBlue, Aug 8, 2011.

1. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

If Glock decides to make a 1911 I wonder how fast US companies would have to change their position.

For some reason that I can not seem to understand, US 1911 gun makers feel that they must charge 300-400 more than the gun is even worth.

Kimber for example, or for those in the know, we call it MIMber, 1100.00+ for a 1911 made purely with MIM?? it is laughable. someone once said "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"

Colt, S&W, and anybody eles would lose what, 70-85% of the 1911 sales to Glock? I would say something like that if not higher.

Glock, if they're not already would become the Walmart of gun sales in the US. Who could compete with Glock's quality of perfection and I would assume a lower price point? Nobody thats who.

2. freefall

freefall New Member

(Making popcorn, cracking a Sam Adams.)

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Anybody that wants a true 1911 would not be caught dead with a plastic knock-off. If Browning had wanted the 1911 to be polymer he would have made it that way...:p

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Mine's OK- but I like the Colt better.................

glock_1911 jpeg.jpg

5. Hawg

Hawg New Member

They may sell enough to keep them on the market but put Colt and the rest 6' under. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No way. I doubt Glock would put a dent in their sales.

6. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Uggghhhh don't take this as a personal attack but after reading some of your posts you really have this tendency to put Glock on a pedestal :rolleyes:. Do they make a good a good reliable gun, sure..... Are they the best company ever, nope... If they are so perfect then tell me why i keep reading about problems with the Gen 4 Glocks.... Just saying... take it however you want but agree to disagree i guess :cool:

7. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Every gunmaker in the US stumbles on occasion...so do the ones overseas.
    Glock less than most. But it does happen.

That being said, the reason for the high 1911 prices is simply how much hand-fitting that goes into a particular 1911.

RIA...for example...inexpensive...but you best be prepared to do some slide/rail work & a trigger job when you get it home.

Check this thread if you need pics to show what a proper slide/frame fit is supposed to look like...
    Comparing the slide fit on three different 1911 brands

But would I buy a Glock 1911??
    [​IMG]
    For under $600, in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even blink.

8. towboater

towboater Active Member

I'd get the "Made in the USA" Ruger.

9. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Technically, the Glocks are made in the USA...in Atlanta, Georgia ;)

If you are gonna go down that USA Only road, pick a Colt, Springfield, or Dan Wesson, they're 10 times more precise than a Ruger :)

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

11. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i love both the 1911 and the glock and if glock makes a 1911 ill be first in line to get one.every gun company is going to polymer, its only time for a polymer 1911 i would love to be able to carry a 5 inch 1911 with out having by pants fall down because of the weight, concealed carry that is.

12. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

I love the 1911...but the cold fact is...it has been eclipsed by Glock, and the XD as "ultimate fighting handgun". One could even add the M&P and the SR9 to that list, especially once they have the 25 year track record the Glock has.

I carried a 1911 for years on duty and off in just about every configuration out there, and none of them including my Les Baer or my old Wilson Combat could come close to the absolute out-of-the-box reliability of a Glock. Springfield Armory (to my mind the BEST current manufacturer of the 1911 platform) is the last 1911 I bought for under $1200 that was close to 100% reliable, and I know how to make a 1911 run...extractor tweaking, throating, polishing etc...but why should I "have to" when I can buy a gun with LE discount for $440 out the door that will be 100% reliable?

I have never had to make an excuse for a Glock and say something like: "It needs a few hundred rounds to break in properly" or "I need to re-spring it to work with thus-and-so..."

Rewind 20 years and you would have heard me say...."I don't want one of those plastic sissy pistols!"

So...a Glock in 1911...I'd try one for sure. If it worked as well as my other bunch of Glocks...I'd carry it and sell my other 1911's, except my Dad's Combat Commander he carried in Viet Nam (USAF 1966-1967 119 missions F-105 Thud Pilot "Wild Weasel" RIP). Hell, I might even carry it!

13. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

First things first, P.T. Barnum was credited with saying "There's a sucker born every minute." although some say it was Michael Cassius McDonald. Who knows.

Next, Browning didn't make a polymer-framed 1911 cause he couldn't. The first firearm with a polymer frame was a .22 produced by Remington in the 50's. The first polymer handgun was the Heckler & Koch VP70 which was made in 1970.

Now if Glock made a 1911, it wouldn't put anyone outta business. Hell, it might even increase sales of the 1911 among other manufacturers. Look at what the Mazda Miata did for small convertible couples. It sold like crazy! Then everyone else made a clone. They sold as well. Why? Cause just like a lot of us gun folks, people can be very brand loyal. So Glock would just throw their hat into an already crowded ring.

Something else to note. If Glock was so adept at making ANY firearms platform, why have they just done semi-auto pistols? I like Glock but they are a one-trick pony. That pony does it's particular trick very well but nonetheless, it's the same trick.

Glock might make a rifle or a 1911 or even a car, but even if they do, they won't be running anyone out of business.

14. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

There is much truth in what the feller above posted...no, they won't run anyone out of business any more than Toyota or Nissan did when they introduced their line of full-sized pickups.

That being said: I assert that Glock only made auto pistols because europe has a long tradition of making crappy revolvers...LOL. SAA and charcoal burner clones from Italia notwithstanding. And probably more to the point...what police agency or military organization is still issuing contracts for wheelguns? That's not to say somewhere some schmuck isn't carrying an old Webley or Smith & Wesson Victory Model in their canvas crossdraw holster with a dump pouch of ammo, but if anyone has placed an actual order for new wheelguns it hasn't made a blip on the radar.

Glock isn't really a one-trick pony though. The Glock 17 was the seventeenth patent held by Gaston Glock, and the first sixteen weren't neccessarily gun related.

But no, a Glock 1911 wouldn't put anyone out of business.

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had a 3rd gen. G19 that was a great pistol. My buddy bought it from me and now has thousands of rounds through it without one hiccup. He cleans it only rarely. It is the epitome of reliability.

I really don't dislike Glocks at all. It's just that fanboys of any type irritate me and Glock seems to have particularly rabid ones. ;)

16. Mandy

Mandy New Member

I'm a hardcore Glock fan and carry one every day, it's the only one I like to carry but this is true, Glock is a one trick pony that exceeds in that trick, thus it's popularity.

Glock will not make a 1911 'cause 1911s are a complete different animal and Glock just refine it's original design and adapt it to new chamberings etc, but in essence it's the same design, a great design and very reliable design, but the same since gen1.

I would go farther and say that many others have copied Glocks design and added a few bits, but in essence it's the same design.

Same happened with the 1911, the designs stood unchallenged for decades and many others copied after patents expired.

Only time will tell when a really new design comes along.

17. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

If Glock were to make a 1911 i am 99% sure it would contain no plastic as it just does not work well with the 1911 frame and if they were to make one i would be the first to jump on it, i am a huge Glock fan.

18. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

I was referring to Glock, the company that makes Glock pistols, not Gaston Glock himself.

19. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Gotcha.

Hell, in the end it doesn't really matter...carry what works for you.

20. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member