Worst 20 minutes of tree rat hunting ever

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by alwaysarmed, Aug 31, 2013.

1. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

So I left the house at 6:00 and was back in before seven.

Ok, here is the story I get out in the woods and I see the first one in the tree at 10 yards shot him more in his right eye rather than between but it still worked lol but anyway I go pick him up and continue up the hill were I was going to sit and sure enough I stumble right on to a nest of yellow jackets.

Needless to say I got heck out of there and fast lol

I think I'll be waiting till after a freeze to go back up there lol

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I've been wanting to get in the woods but it was 96 deg. today and has been about the same for a while. Just not as enjoyable soaked in sweat.

3. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

Yea is been the 90s all week but I figured it would be bearable. I was WAY wrong lol

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You need to let a frost hit before shooting the squirrels. Many of the squirrels will have parasites. You won't want to eat the squirrels with a parasite. All it takes is a little cold weather and the squirrels are parasite free. I don't shoot either rabbits or squirrels until a frost, both have the same parasites. Plus small game has fed on fat producing materials making the meat more palatable.

I do take note of where I see small game in other activities. Usually, these areas where you have seen small game before hold most of the small game in that area.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

What, they are fine to eat now. Lots of people hunt them here in the early season. My grandson and I are getting a few in the mornings when it's cool. Having a ball hunting with him. He's only seven.

Opening day.
    [​IMG]

The next day.
    [​IMG]

The next weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This weekend. Added a couple of crows this morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Damn, are those radioactive squirrels? What do all feed them. Geez.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Are you talking internal or external parasites? I don't see how a frost can kill any internal parasites. As for external parasites, they will come off the animal when it dies as there is no good feeding for fleas or whatever on a dead animal.

8. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

We have two kinds of squirrels here in Kentucky. Gray and Fox. The fox rats can have blonde heads, black heads but have an orange color. They are also at least a third bigger when full grown.The Fox squirrels are hardly ever found in big stands of timber. They prefer smaller wood lots and lines of trees along fence rows.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Squirrels and rabbits get "wolves" a big worm on their abdomen. After a frost the "wolves" go away. Some people cut off the area where the wolf worm was located and eat the animal. Some can't tolerate the "wolves" and wait until a frost.

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Have only seen one of them in years. Just threw that one to the dog. They can be in the shoulder area also. I'm not passing up a bunch of chances to hunt with my grandson because of a worm. To much fun and he LOVES it.

11. winds-of-change

12. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

As I said it way over blown by people who don't have a clue. Rarely seen and I kill tons of the little critters. Go hunting and don't pay attention to the scared of the world. The sport is way to much fun and spending time with kids or grown ups is to much fun.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

your grandson did a great job on those squirrels!:D

but he sure got muddy by the last picture!:eek:

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

In this area of NC wolves are a problem. Wolves might not be an issue where you live since the season opens so early. In NC we have a long 3 month squirrel season but it opens Oct 14, along the same time we get our first frosts. Wolves in the squirrels are an issue everywhere I have hunted so I assumed they were everywhere.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A little off topic, but to the man with the grey beard, you have an identical twin in the North Florida area. I did a double take when I saw the pic. :)

16. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

If he is my twin then his political views will echo mine. NO FREE money for anybody. I am just to the right of Genghis Khan. :D

17. winds-of-change

The article I posted and read on the wolf parasite implies it is more prevalent in certain species of squirrels than others. I have never seen anything like that around here. I'm sure location has something to do with it, too.

18. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Our squirrel season opens the 3rd Saturday of August and runs until Feb. 28th so our season is 6 1/2 months. We also have a 2 week season in June. We love our tree rat hunting here.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We love squirrel hunting as well. Our season used to be longer, until Feb. There has been a lot of habitat loss and agricultural practices don't benefit small game. This year we got a shorter season and a 1 fox squirrel per day limit. The limit remained the same for grey squirrels.

What I am seeing is people are cutting hardwood off their land and replanting with longleaf pine. We will end up with more fox squirrels but our hunting methods will change.

20. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Better than deer hunting and then rolling down the hill like Chris Farley in the movie Blacksheep, don't ask..i'm just saying that what happens in the woods stays in the woods.