Worried about magazine

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CJx, Aug 21, 2013.

1. CJx

CJx New Member

Hello,
    I did a rather dumb thing and decided to take a round out of my grandfathers magazine and try to put it back in again. I was able to get the round back in but I was worried that it would cause a malfunction so I took the round out. The gun is a Sig P226 9mm.
    Should I be concerned about this? There is another magazine in the drawer that I did not touch and the top bullet is in the same position as the untouched one.
    Are magazines sensitive when loading like if you do not do it exactly then there will be malfunction? Or are magazines forgiving and you don't have to be a licensed surgeon to put rounds in.
    I shook the magazine that I touched and there was a rattling sound like a bullet was loose knocking inside the magazine, so I pushed the bullets all the way down as if I were loading another bullet and the clicking stopped.
    Yes I realize now that this is a very foolish thing to do as this gun would be used to shoot a burglar. Should i be concerned about this, or is it no cause for concern. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. kaido

kaido New Member

Since someone is going to say it, "for the love of god, don't touch stuff that isn't yours!" Haha. You've nothing to worry about though, so long as the round was put back in the magazine facing the same way as the others, it'll function properly.

Now here's the question, how come you where mucking with his stuff? You wanting to get into shooting?

3. CJx

CJx New Member

Yes, I'm very interested in guns and shooting. I know it was a dumb thing to do. I hope that if someone breaks into my home that the round will feed correctly and fire.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. kaido

kaido New Member

Have you shot before or anything? If not, why not ask your grand dad if you can go with him next time?

5. CJx

CJx New Member

No, and my grandpa doesn't shoot anymore, he's lost interest.

6. kaido

kaido New Member

Ooh, we'll I'm sure of you ask him if he can take you shooting, he might just take you. If not, he might know of someone who willing to take you out and show you.

At the very least, you should get him to teach you the proper handling of any firearms he doesn't have locked away.

7. CJx

CJx New Member

That would be cool. Thanks for your responses, much appreciated. I am still however paranoid about this magazine and would appreciate more people consoling me :( if i should be worried about malfunction or not.

8. kaido

kaido New Member

Haha no problem little dude. Don't worry about it though, if it looks the same as the other magazine, it'll work just fine.

9. CJx

CJx New Member

Haha, funny thing is I'm 19, toying around with stuff like I'm 9 or something, lol.

10. kaido

kaido New Member

Lmfao!! I'm 20 and do the same stuff. I was thinking maybe ten or eleven at most.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

You do want to look at the two magazines side by side( with gramps permission) and make sure a spring is not loose, or that the top of the mag that meets the inside of the gun( called the feed lips or simply lips) is not bent in any way. Then you want him to show you how the mag is unloaded and reloaded at least once. Wow,..youth! Gd bless em. At 19 I quit college to put on a uniform...
    We're here for you so ask whatever you need any time!

12. kaido

kaido New Member

Another thought too, if you're 19, you should be able to buy a long gun and start shooting with that. Then you'd just need a range to enjoy it.

13. string1946

string1946 New Member

My advice would be to go ahead and man up and tell your grandfather what you did and let him take whatever corrective action he feels necessary. You will probably be ok. Your too old for him to send out to cut a switch. :D

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree with this.

Then when he's had his say, ask him to show you how it works. You're old enough that you should know anyway, in case you're the only one home when that burglar comes a knockin.

I second the idea about trying to get your own rifle.

I bet you could get your grandpa re-interested in shooting if you two go together.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Also, if you plan on sticking around here for awhile, be sure to stop by the introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.

16. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

1. You should never touch another man's gun with out asking first. That is just disrespectful.
    2. If you want to play with guns join the Army or Marines.
    3. Save up your money and buy your own .

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Shooting is the second thing one loses interest in. Fortuantely, I am stil interested in #1 so I am OK.

The rattling can be disconcerting, but is perfectly normal in many guns. Stop messing with things you know little about. Next you are going to try to take apart an electrical line transformer and you WILL be toast.

18. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

There is not much you can take apart on a transformer. It's just some copper clad windings, and oil.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you want to be consoled for playing around with things that you shouldn't have touched in the first place? and if you are so worried about a malfunction, and really want to learn about guns and shooting, then show some responsiblity and tell your grandfather you were messing around with the magazines.

IMO, responsiblity is one of the first important steps in getting to use firearms for a youngster. playing around with things that don't belong to you in the first place, shows your lack of maturity and IMO denies you the ability to ability to handle them until you mature a little more. handling firearms is a huge, huge responsiblity and requires a certain level of maturity.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

I'll second this.

Man up fess up. Apologize for doing something like that.