world famous bobski mystery thing, pic #329

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bobski, Jun 16, 2014.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

here we go! what is it?

Attached Files:

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Looks like a saw set... (For setting the teeth on a saw after sharpening.) :)

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

4. bobski

bingo!...........

now earlier in a mystery pic, if i remember correctly, we had another saw tooth setter i.d.'d.
    what is the difference between these two?
    or...is this a saw tooth set as well?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Different saws take different saw sets- see? Saw. See saw.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Teeter Totter !................

7. bobski

so its a different jigdy-jig but the same do-dad? no hocus-pocus?

8. c3shooter

Yah- no pokin' da hocus.

Seriously there are hand saws- they need different sets depending on rip saw, cross cut saw, back saw- and circular saws, BIG crosscut saws, buck saws, etc etc etc. Used to watch Grandad set and sharpen a handsaw- his test- when finished, flip saw so teeth were up, tilt at angle, lay a sewing needle in the valley of the teeth- needle should slide the length of the saw, riding in the alternate left-right-left of the teeth.

9. bobski

dad did that too. labor intensive.

10. c3shooter

It is VERY labor intensive. However, before the cheap electric hand saw, you could work yourself to death with a dull handsaw. Or zip thru a 2x4 in nothing flat with a sharpened, properly set saw. I have two good Swedish and 2 good English handsaws that can cut a board while most folks are looking for the extension cord.

And after TEOTWAWKI, I still have saws that work- along with a working brace and bit, hand planes, drawing knives, and double bitted axes that swing as if drawn to the wood. :p

11. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A lot of the saw mills up here use like a huge band saw and I have seen him sharpen and set the teeth , but his tool was quite not that , way newer model .
    I guess those big blades are super expensive so they do the work themselves.

12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Not so much the cost of the blade but the millwright time to take them on and off. It takes less dollars to sharpen them in place than it does dismount one, send it out for sharpening, and then remount it. Plus a good millwright can sharpen a blade pretty quickly, and if you do it a few times a day before it is really dull, it takes even less time to sharpen.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

One of the first chores I learned was saw sharpening and setting the teeth.

One of my grandfathers owned a small shake mill. The other was a millwright and head sawyer at a small saw mill. My dad was a finish carpenter.

At this point my saw sharpening skills are as rusty as the tools in the photos.

What was the quote? "THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES":D