world famous bobski mystery thing, pic #252

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bobski, May 3, 2013.

1. bobski

bobski Active Member Sponsor

looks like a handle, but its a spring to something.
    any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Do you actually know what these things are and you're quizzing us or do you not know what they are, either?

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it rigid or does it flex?

4. bobski

i have no clue, winds.
    read pic 234 for the history and why.

does not flex, thus it must be a handle.

5. tri70

tri70 New Member

Handle for an oven pan?

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My guess it's to lift something at a factory which is hot.

The coil isn't for spring loading, it's to deflect heat from the

obvious handle. Look for something with @ 1/4" round holes

at the proper interval in it's sides . . .;)

7. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Handle to a camp stove or pot...something of that sort

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Maybe the handle to remove the lids from dutch ovens, or the hot plates from the old wood burning stoves..............

9. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow Bobski , how old do you think this stuff is..! I thought I new a lot about most furniture , but , guess I don,t..!

With a little ingenuity , I could find my own uses for most of this , but what they really are , no clue..!

10. winds-of-change

I'll bet that's it. I think I vaguely remember my grandmother having something like that.

11. bobski

dad was a carpenter in new england. houses there are still old. some date back to the 1600's. many people collect homes like old cars and pay premiums for carpenters using only hand tools. some purists dont like circular saw marks in their 400 year old wood. honest. dad was good at fixing old things the old way. thus, all his handtools.

to understand the kind of dad he was, he'd pull out an old 300 year old nail and say to me, look son...this nail hasnt seen the sun in 300 years and it was still holding.

i was never allowed to use electric tools. he forbid it. the first time i used a power tool was after i was in the navy. but even then, working on planes required only hand tools.
    i fit right in.
    so as it was, when dad would remodel homes, sometimes in order toget to a tree limb that crashed thru a roof, he'd have to go thru tons of attic stuff in the owners homes to get to the damage area. he'd offer to throw it out for them. most of the time the owners were grateful since he had a truck and he was willing......and the rest is history.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Insight.............

What others thought of as clutter and useless your father had the brains to see a gold mine......I can hear him now.... Someday.......;)

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

14. bobski

its very stiff. we are thinking its a handle.

15. bobski

i figured this one out while i was in the garden today. i looked down and there it was.
    unless you have a plastic one, i'll bet everyone one of you that has a yard has one.
    go look in your shed.

16. winds-of-change

Ack!!! It's the thingy that holds the tines on a leaf rake!!! It gives the tines some "bounce" when raking. Kind of like a rake shock absorber.

17. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Looks like it would hold a mop head. More likely it's a secret device planted by the government to spy on gun owners. It's a good thing I don't have any guns.

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Ya know I did this for a guy once and he had something he had no clue what it was, I knew what is was and I wanted it , so after all my work to getting it running and figuring out what it was worth and making him a offer he wouldnt sell it to me. Butt Hole sold it on ebay . He brought me some other stuff again , I told him to get lost . :confused:
    It was a old steel alcohol engine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  19. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

It's a ruler.

20. bobski

leaf rake spring it is!
    bingo!