Working on my SR1911

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Rick1967, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I just finished installing an Ed Brown Tactical Ambi Safety on my Ruger. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I watched a simple youtube video. I posted a link to the video I watched. There are bad videos out there. Be careful who you take advise from. This one shows a lot of detail.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYOn9S6ULg[/ame]

I also installed a Wilson Combat magwell. It looked very cool. And it made loading a little faster with my Chip Mcormick and my Ruger mags a little faster. But there was a problem. My Act and my Mecgar mags will not work with the magwell. They are the ones with the hollow floor plates to add the 8th round. They are my most reliable mags. Some people like the Chips. But I have found that they nose dive too often. So I took the megwell off. I will put it back on when I find some different floor plates.

The safety works flawlessly. I did test after test after test. I don't take chances with safeties. I though people might want to know about the magwell issues with the hollow floor plates.

Attached Files:

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Try your Wilson magwell with Wilson mags. They work with all my 1911s, with or without magwells. I stopped messing with other brands.

3. Rick1967

Yea I hear you. I bought some Wilson springs and followers hoping to use them in my Ruger mags. Now I realize the Wilson mags are longer like my Act and Mecgars. I saw on another forum that someone took a file to the edge of their mecgar floorplate to make it work with the Wilson magwell.

I have 7 mags now. I don't really want to start over.

4. Rick1967

First I would like to say "Thank you" to all the real gun smiths on the forum for not laughing at me and saying I have no clue at what I am doing.

I used a file to blend my mag well with the bevel in my frame. Then I used a dremel to polish it up a little. And hey, what do you know...all my mags fit perfectly.

I few picks of my work and a mecgar mag perfectly seated in my new magwell. Not to shabby...if I may say so myself. Can't wait till IDPA!!!!!

Attached Files:

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!:p

JK Rick! :D looks great and you learn by doing. just like everyone else that enjoys tinkering on 1911's. when i first started learning about 1911's many years ago, there was no internet or YouTube videos to help me out.

6. Rick1967

It is amazing how much you can learn of youtube. It is also amazing how bad you can screw something up by following the wrong retard on there too. I looked at 5 or 6 different videos before I found the good one. A couple of them seemed like they knew less than I did!

7. Axxe55

Rick, they probably did know less than you do! anyone can make a YouTube video and make others think they are some expert. sometimes you have to sift through the crap to get something useful.

8. Rick1967

Hey Axxe...is that your truck in your avatar?

9. Axxe55

i wish! no just an avatar from a fellow member.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice job Rick. Looks nice and I'm sure it functions well!

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Good job Rick.

Thanks for the "viewer beware" warning.

I have fixed more than a couple of problems that got screwed up by people watching the youtube yahoos.

12. Rick1967

I am thinking about changing the front sight. But I want to make sure I keep it IDPA legal. It just says you can use another "post and notch" type of set up. I would like something that is heavier than the original. I know someone that snapped of the front sight accidentally. I have also seen a few posts about it on line. I thought about a fiber optic something or other. But again IDPA legal. And not retarded looking either. Any suggestions? Pics would be nice. I don't mind spending a few bucks. Up to maybe $75 or $100 for the front sight.

13. Axxe55

check out Brownells and MidwayUSA. both carry a huge assortment of sights for the 1911's. i am pretty sure you can find something there that would suit your needs.

14. keyspike

keyspike New Member

Ameriglo makes a fiber optic front sight that is reasonably priced. Use it with a wide plain black rear sight ( Ameriglo also makes one) for quick target acquisition. They fit a variety of guns and they are all IDPA legal. They come in red and green.