woodsmaster or BAR?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by colmustard, Aug 16, 2013.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Tittle says it, which would you choose if you were in the market for a semi-auto 30-06? The Remington woodsmaster or the Browning BAR?

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

So that FN49 in 30.06 is out of the question?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

BAR. About the most accurate semi-auto I have owned. Not the Cadillac of sporting rifles- it is the Mercedes of sporting rifles.

4. colmustard

colmustard New Member

@ therewolf, sorry I did not consider it, this discussion is of course open to any semi-auto 30-06 :)

5. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I'm tempted to buy a woodsmaster from my LGS. Except they are asking $390 a little much in my opinion. It would also help if it was legal to use for deer hunting.

6. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I would buy the wood master because it is made here in the USA. And not Japan like Browning .
    But that is just My opinion.

7. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

If it can be any semi auto 30-06, then it has to be a Garand!

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When I was a young deer I wanted a BAR. Instead I cheaped out and bought a Remington Woodsmaster. The gun was accurate. I could hit anything I could see with the rifle. But the thing seldom cycled like it should. In over 20 years of driving deer with dogs I never saw a Woodsmaster that would cycle reliably. I ended up selling the Woodsmaster and I took a bath on the sale. Then one day I walked into a gunshop and there was the gun of a my dreams. A safari grade BAR made in Belgium and I had just paid off my credit card. I bought the gun and I haven't looked back.

I went bear hunting in NV. The guide looked at my rifle and his eyes just rolled up in his head. We went for target practice and I blasted anything he wanted to shoot. I did not have a scope on the rifle, just the iron sights that came on it. He asked if I had a bionic eye.

I can't see as well as I used too but I still haven't put a scope on the BAR. If the good lord lets me see the iron sights for the rest of my days I won't put a scope on it.

I can say this much if you are going to plunk down the cash to buy a BAR don't buy one of those stainless steel jobs with the synthetic stock. Save your money and buy a real Belgian made BAR. You won't live long enough to regret it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I already have a Garand but nice choice! Seems like people have a love hate relationship with the Remington, but it is made in America.

10. FullautoUSA

If you have a Garand then you should get a 1903!

11. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I would love a 1903.

12. FullautoUSA

I know it's not semi, but I thought I would put it out their because it would be really cool to have one.

13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I have three woodmasters one in .308, 30-06, and .280. They all cycle just fine.

14. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I was just curious as to what a good semi-auto 30-06 would be to go with. Something that functions well, looks nice but can take a beating while hunting in the woods.

15. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I don't care for the woodmasters accuracy, I was just pointing out that mine function fine. Obviously something like a garand would be cool and reliable.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Made in America Woodmaster is low quality. (I had one. Junk) Browning BAR is a great, well made, top end rifle (I have a BAR in .338 WinMag)

Made in Japan?? Who cares? Quality trumps place of manufacture.

17. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I see your point locutus, but I would always try my best to buy American. But if the BAR is so much better than that may be the one. Seems like there should be more to choose from.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would have to see it to believe it. When we could run dogs just anywhere we would have 50+ hunters on Saturday. You know with that many hunters I saw a lot of Woodsmasters jam before I formed an opinion. On the other hand, if you don't shoot them they don't jam.

19. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

It may be the newer ones, the ones I have are really early models, I have seen more problems with Remington products, like the 770.

20. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I have my grandfathers old 740 accuracy every deer he shot at was DRT shot in the neck. All of the different model #'s 740, 7400 etc have all had their problems that is why they keep retooling them and giving them different model numbers. If I had my druthers I would go for the Garand or BAR. I have a Garand in .308.