Wood pellet stoves

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by oneshot, Oct 2, 2011.

1. oneshot

oneshot New Member

We are looking into getting a wood pellet stove for the house. After the install cost the price to burn 1 ton of pellets is less than $200. My only concern is ruuning it without power. I know I could wire up some batteries to a inverter but that would only be a temp solution. If I was to buy a generator would be point less since I already have the furnace wired up for a generator for power outages. We want somthing to off set the nautral gas cost but still use in caase of a billizard. I 'am also looking at a good old fanshion wood burner but I start to thinking about all the wood I would have to cut again. If anybody has used a pellet stove I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

FWIW, pellet stoves are great, they're pretty energy efficient and relatively inexpensive to fuel. But, I would personally go with a wood burner simply because of the power factor. I've had wood burners in the past, looked into a pellet stove and decided to stick with the wood stove.

3. unclebear

unclebear New Member

My dad used a fire place insert, welded 5" tall sections of steel tub on the bottom, and put cement board under it and on the wall behind it, and just took the stove pipe out the window and up to the roof. Used full sized pieces of wood not pellets, always kept the house warm and the only thing he had to pay for was the steel tube.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I used to work with a guy who had a corn burning stove. I've been to his house in the winter. It worked well. I don't know the difference in cost between the wood pellet and corn burning stoves.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, my step-bother has a pellet stove, daughter has an older Englander "Fireplace" wood stove (a mini) and we have a Woodchuck wood burning furnace. All 3 do a good job.

You are correct that you need 120AC for the pellet stove- payback is no appreciable ashes to mess with, and buy your fuel in neat little bags.

Englander and Woodchuck- can burn anything that you can fit through the doors (Woodchuck is rated for coal if I wanted to use that) but you DO have to handle a lot of wood several times before it goes into the firebox, and I can buy that, or do what I usually do- cut my own (have 8 cords of 19 month old split white oak out in the yard) . You DO have to clean out ashes, and dispose of them (garden loves wood ash)

You pays yer money, you takes your pick.

6. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Is this for gasification?

7. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

I personally like a big stove that I could cook on and will burn coal and wood. The need for electricity on a pellet/corn defeats the purpose, for me...

8. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I use a pellet stove to offset my LP gas usage. Living in Ohio I burn mostly corn in the stove , smells a bit like caramel popcorn but not strong. The price of corn this year makes wood pellets the way to go.
    I would buy another pellet stove if mine gave out. Last year I saved $125 a month using corn and wood pellets

9. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

What he said....you are stuck to burning wood pellets....wood burner would be the route I'd go...imo

Jimmy

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I bought a neat military M1950 stove / heater for my shop.. It will burn just about anything you put in it.. Any solid fuels (wood, coal, etc.) and came with a kit to use liquid fuels (gas, diesel, kerosene, etc.) Everything folds up and collapses to fit inside the stove if you ever want to move it...
    I plan on only using wood but its nice to have the options..

New U.S. Military Yukon M1950 Stove, Government Surplus, Brand Not Specified, New Never Issued Us Military Yukon M1950 Wood Woodburning Stove Usa Made at Sportsman's Guide

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Trez- have used those in the field in Alaska to heat our tents. We used gasoline (#2 diesel does not like -60) beware of using coal in those. Burns too hot for the thin sheet steel. Handy little stove for a camp, ice fishing house, etc.

12. Dont

Dont New Member

I use a Lopi wood stove to heat my 900 sq ft house. After burning 2 stove fulls of wood, the cabin is nice and toasty. It will keep it warm in here all night. On those days in the dead of winter when I am away for a couple days, it'll take a couple burns before I stop seeing my breath. Slow but it dont take any electricity.

13. oneshot

oneshot New Member

Got a sales rep coming out on Friday so we can go over options and cost. I had a wood burner in the old house that I got for cheap after Y2K. They were just about giving wood burner away after that. My thoughts now are going with the pellet stove and getting a generator big enough to handle the well pump and the stove and making a ext cord long enough to go from my shop to the house and wire up the control box for the pump to a 220v outlet in my shop so if we do lose power I can unplug the cord and go staight to the generator without worries of back feeding the line.
    I have been talking to friends and co workers and they have had good things to say about the pellet stoves and if my boys get in trouble I can always have them restack the bags over on the other side of the shop and then make them move them back ha ha.
    Thanks for everybody help and advise.

14. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I thought about the same thing, between a pellet stove and wood burner. In my case, having access to all the FREE wood I needed, I elected to purchase a nice wood burner. Don't have to worry or depend on someone else for my fuel in case of emergency. I don't particularly like the wood cutting and splitting part but, hey, it's free heat.

15. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

They are sold out....:(

Jimmy

16. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

Many of the pellet stoves are "multi fuel"
    Depending on where you are and what is available. Cherry pits are a popular fuel for example

17. oneshot

oneshot New Member

Since we are both from the great state of OHIO were do you get cherry pits at? I have never heard of that for a fuel source.

18. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

i have a pellet stove forsale PM me.

19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

20. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

You need to go to the area where cheeries are grown LOL
    Michigan has more than they need