Wood grip maintenance

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gremlock686, Jul 23, 2012.

1. gremlock686

gremlock686 New Member

Do I need to put some kind of wax or oil on my wood grips, to keep maintain? Looking at the Birchwood Casey Wax, is it good? Do I need to?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Generally you shouldn't need to do much to them. They should be pretty well sealed. The birchwood casey wax is pretty good I use it as a stock finish often.
    Generally as I'm cleaning my gun I will whipe down the grips/stock with clp and then wipe off with a silicone rag.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If they are checkered, any kind of wax can get in the little grooves and be hard to get out. Unless you're seeing that they're drying out and/or starting to crack, you can rub them down with a little tung oil. You can also use vegetable oil in pinch.

4. gremlock686

gremlock686 New Member

Yes they are checkered.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I think the Birchwood Casey wax would buildup in the checkering then, like a lot of waxes, turn white & may not look good. The tung oil is a good suggestion, or you might try something like Old English lemon oil. I always remove my grips to prevent getting any gun solvent or cleaner on them.

6. gremlock686

gremlock686 New Member

That sounds real good, Old English, since it's wood furniture polish, thanks dude someone else told me the same.