Wondering if I'd be approved to carry in MD

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by DerickVonD, Oct 31, 2011.

1. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

Hi everyone. I am new and I need some help. Okay, so I want to work at this security job over the summer and I want to buy a .357. Trouble is I know MD is strict with gun laws. I have no criminal record, but I do have a big medical record. I have bipolar and a history of depression and being on anti-depressants. Do you think I'd be approved?

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Initially I'd say, no. But, check with your DOJ just in case I'm wrong. I'm assuming the security job was unarmed.

3. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

Damnit. What about neighboring states. I want to move to PA or WV in the next few years and I don't want to go my whole life not being about to defend myself legally because of something I was born with. Whats a DOJ?

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Forums like this aren't reliable for getting information on whether you can or can't carry. Your best bet no matter where you are is to check with your local sheriff. If you want to get a handle on state laws, google 'gun laws by state'. If you're not sure whether or not you fall into a particular category or you want to try to get your status changed, consult an attorney.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

7. Yunus

Yunus New Member

From my understanding you get the job first. Then the permit. And it will only be legal to carry while performing duties related to your job.

They "may" approve your request. Hahaha concealed carry humor.

MD sucks

8. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

Just out of curiosity sake, what are my chances of getting a permit in PA? I want to maybe move there in the next 3 years anyway. I have family there.

9. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

Well I took a look at gun laws in different states and it seems I might not have any trouble in Vermont. http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/VTSL.pdf
    It states you don't even need a permit to own a handgun and that Machine guns are legal, unless specifically made illegal under Federal Law. Is this true? Does anyone live in Vermont?

10. c3shooter

Derrick- Vermont does not require a permit to carry concealed. In MOST states, you do not need a permit to OWN a handgun. Machine guns are legal in MOST states. It must be a transferrable MG, you must be 21, able to own a firearm, and transfer must be done by a MG dealer in your home state. Transfer must be approved by the Federal BATFE, and you pay a one time $200 transfer tax.

However, do you have any IDEA how MUCH a legal machinegun will cost you? A LEGAL M16 is about $14,000 to $16,000. Yeah, count the zeros- that was not a mistake on my part.

11. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

I really have no strong desire to own one lol. I was just looking at the laws. Right now I really jsut want a mosin nagant and a Beretta 96.

12. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

also I read some where, when they do a federal background check, they don't have access to your medical records. Is this true? It just dawned on me I almost joined the national guard and they did a background check I'm pretty sure and never mentioned anything.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. c3shooter

Medical records- no. However, records of a person being ORDERED by lawful authority to seek mental health treatment are another matter.

THAT has to do with mental competency. The "federal background check" is the same for purchase of a Marlin .22 lever action, and an M60 machinegun, and has the same disqualifying criteria.

If you apply for enlistment in any branch of the US military, you give consent for access to information on your medical records as well. There are medical conditions that preclude enlistment. I have diabetes, and would not be permitted to enlist. NOW. I did- THEN!

14. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

So if I receive an SSI check, that wouldn't show up either I assume.

15. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

When I was a juvenile, my grandmother sent me to some psych ward at the hospital, would this show up or no? I was there for about eight days twice.

16. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

It'd probably show up on your medical history... It doesn't hurt to try but the chances are slim I think.

17. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

So, you are saying I'd have to purchase guns on the black market, if I wanted to purchase guns? Would there be a way to get medically cleared by a doctor? I am now more concerned with just being able to purchase guns in this state, rather than have then for concealed carry, atleast until I move out of state.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  18. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

This is where I was placed, for the first time at age 5. http://www.drtaba.net/?page_id=28 and the second time because my grandmom and I were arguing, so she just put me in there. I have never been ordered by a court to go to a place like this however and I have never been to a place like this as an adult. I have never received, nor has my grandmother received paper work, stating I can not purchase fire arms.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

No one is saying buy anything on the black market. Look none of us are offering you legal advice. But I'm a Maryland resident and will suggest this, go to a gun store that is not a big box store and talk with the people who deal with the paperwork every day. Then buy a damn gun, if your paperwork gets denied it gets denied. If you don't want to ever have a denied, then don't buy a pistol or "assault rifle" as defined by the state of Maryland and you won't have to fill out the Maryland specific paperwork just the NICS check.

Don't buy anything illegally, don't try to purchase a handgun or assault rifle at a gun show, that's illegal in this state(without the waiting period and paperwork). The rules are stupid and strict but it's not impossible just a hassle.

20. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

How about in Virginia do you know? I will be moving to Virginia within a year. I will just postpone trying to buy guns until then.