Wondering if anyone could identify these hand guns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gbroke, Oct 6, 2011.

1. gbroke

gbroke New Member

My grandfather found these many many years ago. I recently pulled them out of storage, put them in some shadow boxes and hung them up.
    I was hoping someone here couild give me some information, or at least point me in the right direction to find out if they are valuable at all. I would at least like to know the history or when they may have been made. Should there be makers marks or other thing somehwere? I actually haven't looked.

Here are the guns in quesstion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Man you got some hard ones there. The only thing I can tell you is the one on top is a flint lock probably dating back to somewhere in the 1800s and the bottom revolver looks like a European Pinfire. If you have sometime check out the link below, they have quite a bit of those types of weapons and maybe able to let you know what they are if you email them. Good luck.
    The Nation's Leading Auction House for Firearms, Edged Weapons, & Military Artifacts

3. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Well--the top one isn't a flintlock---it uses percussion cap ignition.
    Looks like a screw barrel sidelock, 1820-late 1860's

And the bottom one isn't a pinfire---no notches in the cylinder
    for the pins! Cartridge revolver, folding trigger. Possible Belgian?
    Do you see a E, L, and G in an oval , possible with a crown,
    anywhere on the gun? Whether it has the crown, and the position
    of the crown above or below the letters will help to date it.

That said, there should be marks on the guns that will shed some light
    on the origin. A makers name would be nice--but the little "proof marks"
    will tell us where and when it was made.

Try to get some good pictures--use the "macro" setting on the camera--of
    the small marks on the side of the revolver frame and any other marks you
    see. Give us a general idea of size--a picture with a ruler in it would work.
    Bore diameters?

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'd like to have me one of those little percussion guns like the top one. I've seen pictures of derringer sized ones just like that. Small enough for the pocket, palm of your hand, and just Awesomely cool.

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Sorry I don't know anything about C&R weapons was way off base it seems.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

They are both popular inexpensive guns of their time and location. The top one is commonly called a "muff" pistol(google that for info). Like BillM said "1820-late 1860's" though some were still made later, like up to 1880's or so. The revolver is from around 1900 to 1920. I see its missing the ejector rod. Is the revolver a .22(most of those seen are)? They were very poorly made but they made many in Spain and Belgium.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Agree with above- the caplock single shot is not only a turn-barrel, but likely is "twist" steel. Strictly black powder, and I would not shoot it with that.

The revolver is likely Belgian- they made a ton of small copies of the Royal Irish Constabulary revolver- usually in 22, 22 Velo-Dog, or .320 European (think .32 Short Colt, not .32 S&W)

Proof marks will tell the tale.

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Looking at it again, I don't think the top one is a turn-barrel. What looks
    like a joint is the wire holding it to the shadow box.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bill- good eyes.

10. gbroke

gbroke New Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will take them out of the boxes and inspect them closely. I will see if I can find any sort of markings at all. I'll shoot some macro shots if I do and post them here.

I am a coin collector, not a gun guy, so I appreciate all of the helpful responses. You folks at this forum are nice to us newbies!

11. gbroke

gbroke New Member

Hiwall, thank you for your response. I didn't have any hopes they were valuable, so you reinforced that. I just feel ignorant when people see them and ask what they are and I reply "beats me!". :)

Also, I would probably get fired from work if I searched google for "Muff" pistol. lol

12. CaptCraig

CaptCraig New Member

The second gun looks like a Lefaucheux pinfire revolver. It is an open receiver and is chambered in mm and not a caliber typically. The cylinder doesn't have the typical pin cuts. Hard to tell the size, but is a fairly plain model as many were engraved and some with silver, gold and ivory grips. They were made throughout Europe and imported into the US during and after the Civil War. There should be some marking on it. Reply back what marking are there and I will provide you more info about it. Whatever that is that goes from the back of the hammer to the underside of the revolver is not original. Is it holding something together?

Most have a ramrod to push out the old cartridges, but from the single picture I can't tell if there is a location for that. Can you please post a few pics of different views.

- Craig

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  13. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I have a few coins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And 1 of my favorites