Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder why I have three of them, but only two hands?

I wonder why I don't have more.....?

I wonder what a 1911 guy is doing with them in the first place?

(that is some kind of weird glare on the CZ, it really isn't as ugly as Dango.)
DSCN0940.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Never did take pics of my old early-'90s Browning BDM 9mm. Was right near the end of the "wonder nine" era.

15+1 rounds, 7.9" OAL, DA/SA, ambidextrous safety/decocker. Very slim and concealable for a mid-to-large sized pistol. No after-market support; practically no gunsmithing support; practically no holsters available.

Review @ Shooting Illustrated -- Browning BDM: A Gem That Never Sparkled.

Review @ PistolSmith discussion forum -- Browning BDM.

Photo from an ad over on GunsAmerica:

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Actually the term "Wonder Nine" was first used for the S&W model 59, a large capacity, double action 9mm.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Actually the term "Wonder Nine" was first used for the S&W model 59, a large capacity, double action 9mm.
Yeah, well.

A 1930's Belgian-made Browning Hi-Power 9mm certainly was a "wonder," though.

Any of the S&W third-gen pistols would do nicely. Even the smaller 39xx series.

My own personal fave, in that group: S&W's 3953 TSW 9mm DAO. That'd work.

S&W Model 3953 TSW 9mm @ Genitron.com. Just under 7" OAL, 26oz, 8+1 rounds, easily carried.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Yeah, well.

A 1930's Belgian-made Browning Hi-Power 9mm certainly was a "wonder,"
Been on the hunt for one for years. Might have waited too long those FN Belgian made ones have really shot up in price since being discontinued. Almost landed a Kareen, an Israeli made clone but now they are getting pricey too.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Been on the hunt for one for years. Might have waited too long those FN Belgian made ones have really shot up in price since being discontinued.
Even '70s to early-'80s Belgians seem to be selling in the ~$1200-1700 range.

BTW, there's 1941 Belgian FN P35 with Nazi proof marks on GunBroker right now, with bids at $1000-ish. Will likely go much higher, but such examples are certainly out they're out there. Even within the past few months, there have been several in the $1000 range that didn't get any bids. (Of course, 30yrs ago one could occasionally find one in good shape for a couple $hundred, if one were patient. A buddy had a couple; I never picked one up.)

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Even '70s to early-'80s Belgians seem to be selling in the ~$1200-1700 range.

BTW, there's 1941 Belgian FN P35 with Nazi proof marks on GunBroker right now, with bids at $1000-ish. Will likely go much higher, but such examples are certainly out they're out there. Even within the past few months, there have been several in the $1000 range that didn't get any bids. (Of course, 30yrs ago one could occasionally find one in good shape for a couple $hundred, if one were patient. A buddy had a couple; I never picked one up.)
$1000 is way out of my price range. At this point in life the only thing I'm buying is something that's priced way too good to pass up. There is a T series HP on an auction site that's cheap right now but it's been bubba'd up too.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surely someone has the one and only, original "wonder" nine: a Belgian Browning Hi-Power 9mm.
I don't have a FN, but the FM in the top photo is a good substitute. I do have an itch to pick up one of the Belgian "gunsmith specials" that are on Gunbroker now days.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many people do consider the the Hi Power was the original wonder 9.

Reactions: Rifling82

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think that I have seen that gun before.
I read the article and it sounded like it may have failed because it was ahead of it's time, and may still be. ;) Swapping between trigger modes sounds interesting, but you would think that with all of the choices available, the shooter would just pick the pistol with the system he liked.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
I don't think that I have seen that gun before.
Big, fat, ambidextrous decocker controls. No manual thumb safety (in the model I had). Great 3-dot sights. Extremely slim. Almost too thin, as there was zilch for a palm swell on those side grip panels. And since Browning did a custom grip-panels job for that wrap-around grip, there was no after-market alternative. No way to get even a smidge of palm well, short of having a custom grip maker gin up a steel grip "chassis" with either wooden or carved stag type grips over it. Never found a craftsman willing to give it a go. In a lifetime of doing such a thing, I doubt any such grip maker would have sold a dozen of the things.

Nice gun. Shoots really well. Very easy to operate, and very smooth action. Really accurate, to.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Many people do consider the the Hi Power was the original wonder 9.
The term was orginally coined in the early 80s though referring to large capacity, double action semi autos.

Nobody appreciates a Hi Power more than me but If you use the term "wonder nine" that loosely you could say my Luger is a "wonder nine."

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I wonder why I have three of them, but only two hands?

I wonder why I don't have more.....?

I wonder what a 1911 guy is doing with them in the first place?

(that is some kind of weird glare on the CZ, it really isn't as ugly as Dango.) View attachment 225396
Love the Beretta..Have wanted one ever since the first time i watched Lethal Weapon..plus Mel Gibson was kinda cute when he was in that movie...:D.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Been on the hunt for one for years. Might have waited too long those FN Belgian made ones have really shot up in price since being discontinued. Almost landed a Kareen, an Israeli made clone but now they are getting pricey too.
Take a look at the Tisas BR-9; you'd be amazed at how well their built. Got mine for under $500 (may be hard to do right now with panic buying). Great gun for the money though; parts are all interchangeable to the FN BTW

Reactions: schnuffleupagus
1 - 20 of 110 Posts