wisconsin racine/kenosha blizzard

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JonM, Feb 1, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

well we are set upon. i scraped the drive of the previous 8 inches from today and last nite. im not looking forward to tomorrow. *sigh*

anyone else gonna have a fantabulous day tommorrow

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Hang in there!! Went to "A" school at Great Lakes NTC. It will get worse before it gets better. Wait till it melts to slush then freezes!!

3. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Well I can't imagine what that would be like. And I'm not intending to downplay what you guys must be going through atm - but a blizzard does sound kinda nice right now lol

4. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I was going to the range in the morning; no way, the wind will be ugly with temps in the single degree of 2 after wind chill.

We did not get that much snow in Albuquerque, NM. This is from local news station. It is in some places just ice! The drivers here do not make it easy either. :mad:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Albuquerque drivers said the roads were a nightmare on Tuesday after the city was pounded by a winter storm.

Police have responded to hundreds of car accidents, and they expect problems to get worse as the temperatures drop.

“I hit the brakes for the red light, I wasn’t going fast, and went right on through. So I turned around and went home,” driver Tony McLaughlin said.

On Tuesday evening, the conditions at Tramway Boulevard were treacherous. The road amounted to a sheet of ice.

City leaders are asking residents to stay home if they don’t need to drive.

At Second Street and Montano Road, one truck lost control, hit a car and eventually slammed into a building.

Blowing snow in the foothills reduced visibility to near zero.

City crews were out in full force to plow and sand the roadways. However, workers just can’t keep up.

“The problem is, with the current temperature and the winds that are coming through the canyon, it’s freezing within hours,” city official Mike Riordan said.

City leaders admit the storm is much worse than anticipated, and they have a message for whoever is daring enough to get behind the wheel.

“Stay off the roads,” Public Safety Director Darren White said.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

here are some pics out my front door:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ill take some more tomorrow when its light out. been here ten years the last blizzard was 1999 the year before i moved here.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

prolly about the time this starts melting the spring storms will start and floods but i doubt no where as bad as whats going on in aussie land atm.

it can be far more disatrous for places that dont get snow all the time.

i had today and have tomorrow off due to the storm taking two vacation days. ill take some more pics tomorrow when i dig the wife's and my trucks out. looks like its going to be well over 2 feet of snow before its done.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm just a little south of you in Northern Illinois. It is FIERCE out there. I'm lucky to be off work tonight. I hate shoveling but it looks like that's what I'll be doing off and on tomorrow. I shovel a little, come in and rest, then shovel a little more until it's done. I'll post pictures tomorrow, too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

I've been watching those "and now what's happening in the rest of the world" segments on the TV news, and the footage of crazy multi-car pileups due to ice/snow has been jaw-dropping. Amazing how you can function with that to contend with.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

My 4x4 chevy 1500 xcab has shift on the fly pushbutton 4wheel drive. Ill hit the ditch or median as needed to get out of the way of fools who think front wheel drive geo metros are snow cars. I keep snow rated tires on my truck year round. I don't drive it much in the non road salt months.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm listening to the radio and people have been stuck on the roads in their cars for 7 hours now.

11. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

They were on Fox and CNN reporting about Chicago situation, do not get on the roads unless it is an all out emergency.

I agree! I see the weather, Albuquerque it is 1 degree fahrenheit and a wind chill of -23 fahrenheit degrees. Denver is has -24 fahrenheit degrees. :eek:

They were saying on FOX Weather that another storm is on the way!

12. DrJason

DrJason New Member

I'm originally from a small town about 4-5 miles northwest of you, so I know your pain! At least in WI people know how to drive in that stuff, here in New England you'd think they would but everyone freaks out every time there is a storm.

13. Leatherneck1775

Leatherneck1775 New Member

we just got the cold, no snow....from that one...:eek:

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

opened the garage door this morning expecting the worst but found out i was on the right side of the street. the wind was in my favor.

my wife's avalanche got away pretty easy

[​IMG]

my Z71 got avalanched

[​IMG]

neighbors across the street got fkkkkkkd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. zhuk

zhuk New Member

So what happens in those situations, when your car (and therefore heater) dies? Met a Canadian woman when I was on holiday in Tasmania once, she said people keep candles in their cars in case they get stuck in the snow...keeps you from freezing to death, or so she said.

But you can trust Canadians...right? lol

Wow.

Truly impressive. Must be strange; you wake up = inundation! I can't imagine that...

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

I keep an extra woobie(poncho liner) and field jacket in the truck along with some mre's. Worst thing is to leave your vehicle unless being actively rescued. A good jacket a blankie and high calorie food (not candy or junk food) will keep you warm without running the engine or starting a fire.

Don't eat snow or ice. Its better to melt it in a container wrapped in the blanket with you first. Always carry a small shovel/entrenching tool if you can't fit a snow shovel in the car with you. Don't put emergency stuff in the trunk if you can't access it from the interior.