Winter........?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Aug 18, 2015.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The old Almanac and various forecaster predict a worse than normal winter this year . Well what was last winter ? Eeeeeeee......!
    Getting ready now . It sure is pretty out there ! All lush and green , beuatiful !
    Beuatiful ......? :confused: LOL ...you know :D

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

dango,

Just saw that same prediction on a weather channel website!
    I am here to tell you we experienced the worst winter last year since we have been in Tennessee! It was bad! We will be stalking the pantry!
    This must be a result of Al Gore and the Administration's Global Warming!:p
    Here is a picture of Al in Tennessee last winter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Who is to blame? Jack Frost, Mother Nature, Old Man Winter, Punxsutawney Phil or are they all in on it?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My Dad said that I could go when hell freezes over.......

So here I come!!!!!!

5. JerrBear48

JerrBear48 Member

It's that dang global warming, doncha know! You should try winter in Northern Minnesota! (pronounced Minn-ee-SO-duh)!

6. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

Wasn't bad in central Minnesota last year, unless you ride snowmobiles, not much snow, didn't even start mine.

7. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

August rains have started, not gully washers, just enough crud to make trying to find a suitable day to paint difficult.

Noticed leaves turning, some the blueberry bush leaves are dropping already, tundra is changing into its fall colors (very pretty) foxtail grass started to turn about 4 weeks ago.

Since OTZ is where it is, winter is as sure as death and taxes.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KL...BsSLMRg8/RK=0/RS=jZq93eLx1E_IkAdQKfB10wgUrX8-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  8. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Humm? I thought you had to find a Wholly Worm and check the color of his coat? This will indicate the severity of the coming Winter. I think this is more scientific then the Farmers Almanac. :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

On TV there was a prediction of a warm winter here because of El Nino and other ocean currents. Last winter was mild here as well.

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

They said that in '09, and I distinctly remember smoking a cigar in my friends yard in a short sleeve shirt in Maine,
    Listening to everyone gasp in amazement at how this 'weatha' is the warmest anyone ever saw.

Weatherman can't even get today's afternoon weather report correct half the time, I'll believe a prediction 6 months out when I see it....

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

This year snow stayed put earlyer than usual about 3 inches total, lagoons behind town have been iced over for last two weeks, the Kotzebue Sound in front of town was open early on in week, weather turned colder and finally iced it over by yesterday. Have a winter storm warning today
    http://m.weather.com/weather/tenday/Kotzebue+AK+99752:4:US

12. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

We always like complian about the weather here. Its never that bad one way or the other, not to cold in winter and not to warm in the summer, more rain than anything. No hurricanes or tornadoes etc. Game of thrones fans will recognise the trees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  13. CaptMidnight

The Rocky Mtn. West depends on mountain snow pac for water. If there is no snow in the mountains there will be no run off in the summer to fill rivers and reservoirs. The rains contribute very little to the water needs. An early spring heat wave in the mountains can cause flooding and water loss. Heavy snow pac and a gradual spring warm up is perfect. :)

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Everything is calling for a milder winter here !..................

15. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Looks like your gonna melt Monday, Rex. When was the last barge in?

16. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Pretty bad here in Charleston, SC. It was down to 72 yesterday.
    Next thing you know we will have to put shirts on!!:D

17. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

No winter here yet. 88 right now. I'm praying for winter!!

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cpt. Midnight- that "snow melt/ run-off" was the reason we could not feel our freakin' toes half the time!

Weekends with a sluice box and a gold pan, Cripple Creek, Clear Creek, and the Platte. Standing in water halfway to your knees for several hours.

But sometimes you find some color.

Usually the blue of your toes! :p

19. CaptMidnight

C3, Some fellows I knew in the 1970s packed a power sluice into a High Mtn, stream. They worked like Beavers in that cold water with a vac hose. They gleaned about a spec of "Yellow Gold".
    They were shocked when the Rangers showed up shut them down confiscated their equipment. They were fined in Federal Court. They found out that the creek had a Patent or claim filed on it. Claim Jumping is still frond on. :(

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Since the internet, it is fairly easy to plot where claims are filed, and stay off them.

But in one spot, downstream from a gold mining ghost town, on a side creek, we found a 10 ft corrugated culvert where the little trickle of a creek passed under the road, before emptying into the river.

Corrugations? Looks like the riffles in a sluice box. That time of the year, there was about 3 inches of water running thru that 10 ft. culvert. And the corrugations were filled with sand. Black sand.

We used a hand trowel to clean out the corrugations, put the sand into a 5 gallon bucket, and hauled it outside to the sluice box. Went back in for another and another and another. We pulled 6 oz out of the culvert. Found would could go back twice a year for another 2 oz each trip.

Once a year, the boys send me a check for my share. Honest folks. You rarely get rich as an amateur prospector, but it is a great excuse to spend a day on the river.

Which river? Dang- I completely forgot.......:crazy: