Winter Garden Preps?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by TLuker, Jan 14, 2015.

1. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I'm in the process of swapping gears from hunting to gardening. So now I'm scratching my head on gardening and getting ready for spring. So what would be some good projects right now to start getting the garden ready?:confused:

2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Till it up and fertilize the dirt and till it up again and continue to fertilize and till for the next couple months.

You can also get you some seeds(cheaper) and start you some plants in the house, of course you probably already know that.

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I think I'm going to try and get some horse manure and till that in? I've got a decent amount of compost to till in as well. I should have done that back in November when the weather was better, but better late than never.

I'll wait till March to start any seeds that way they'll be ready to go in the ground come April. It sure would be nice to have a greenhouse for such projects.... possible project there??? :rolleyes:

4. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

If you can get some chicken crap that is even better.

Chicken DOO DOO was widely used last year instead of the High priced fertilizer by farmers for their hay fields.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Be careful as you can over fertilize. Incorrectly composted feces and urine can easily change the ph of the soil. Use sources of known good fertilizer.

6. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

The ranchers around here never quit using it. But it sure does smell every year when they spray. :eek:

What harm could a little extra nitrogen do? :D
    Ya, I definitely need to do a little more research on that one. Part of the reason I should have put it out in November is so that it could break down more in the soil before spring. I think I would be ok if I can get it out before Feb. but the weather doesn't seem to be cooperating. I guess I'll have to play it by ear. And I might just put it out in one bed and then use that as a comparison to the others to see how much it helps? :rolleyes:

And another plus to leaving out the manure over winter is earth worms will move in and break it down. They love that stuff along with leaves and any time you have earthworms you have good soil. :)

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Bought a house on a short sale. Yard hadn't been mowed in a year dead grass and weeds were almost waist high in places. Back yard is tiny. Front yard is a slope. Eventually plan on terracing out the fron and building planting boxes along the side of the yard.

Still have a lot of raking, remowing, weeding and tree and shrub pruning to do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  8. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Looks like a great spot for some fruit trees! :)

I know this isn't the best time of year to be outside, but Feb. is the best month for planting shrubs and trees. So keep that in mind if you plan on doing any landscaping. But you might want to wait until after summer before you even think about landscaping so that everything can fill in just you'll know what you've already got there.

Looks like a great place. Congrats! ;)

9. SSGN_Doc

As far as composting goes, a lot is a balance between carbon and nitrogen. Grass clippings are high in nitrogen as is most chicken and other herbivore crap. Twiggy stuff and leaves tend to have more carbon, as well as shredded paper.

I'm hoping to add a small chicken coop and three to four hens. My daughter has a rabbit for a 4h project. Rabbit poop doesn't have a lot of nitrogen and can go almost directly on a garden without composting it. But mixing rabbit and chicken poop along with yard waste seems to make a pretty good compost. Throw some red worms in there too and it should compost pretty fast once weather warms up.

10. SSGN_Doc

I know there are two fruit trees in the front yard. Not sure if they are both cherry trees or possibly a plum tree in there. We will indeed see what we have when spring comes around. Still need to prune off all the littl sucker branches.

I do know that there are hydrangeas and rhododendrons as far as flowering plants go. Also, my inlaw's just came up today to drop off some furniture that my wife just inherited as her grandmother passed away two weeks ago. They also brought two rose bushes from her grandmothers yard that the grand kids had bought for grandmother and grandfathers anniversary several years ago. Each grandchild is getting a couple of the rose bushes back. Kind of a living memory of both grandparents.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  11. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Do not use horse manure, unlike cows which have a four chambered stomach and digest the weed seeds they eat, they pass through a horse's digestive track unscathed and well fertilized! You can use horse manure only after it has composted a year or two and killed off any seed they may have eaten.

12. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

All I could think when I read that was all my current weeds would choke them out! :D