Winter auto accident video

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. bkt

bkt New Member

Knowing the limits of your vehicle and sensing road conditions come with experience. Even with those things, you can get screwed if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Terrible video, but good to show for kids who are new to driving. I have a son who needs to see this. Thanks.

3. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I just sent it to my daughter who got her lic last week. Thanks for the link.

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

I's amazing how many other drivers get pulled into an accident, and affected by it. The two trucks, and anyone that stopped to help. This was really tragic...it did not look like they were screwing around...perhaps just a moment of inattention caused them to drift and over-correct.

5. yingpin

yingpin New Member

That is really scary! It just goes to show you that it does not take much to change or end your life. I am assuming that the SUV passengers did not make it and I am sure that everyone involved has been affected by this. WOW

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Looked to me they changed lanes and then speeded up to pass the truck, causing the directional momentum/tire adhesion dynamics to change. And then the over-correction. Lesson? Don't try to pass trucks on sloppy roads.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Yes, and if things go bad on slick surface, let off the gas. Most times that will begin the correction and will be all that's needed.

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Around here we seem to have a lot of drivers who moved from somewhere where there is no snow. They totally freak out and start doing some dumb things when there is snow coming down. Cars are bumper to bumper and slowed down to about 5 to 10 miles per hour. If they would allow extra distance between cars they could be going 20 mph or more and still be safe. We also see people with 4WD acting like they own the road. They don't seem to get it that the 4WD doesn't help them stop on slick roads, and we see them plowing into the rear ends of stopped vehicles. Driving on slick roads requires extra caution all the way around.

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

This story reminds me of a MUCH lighter one about myself. In the early 80's we got about 4" of snow on the ground. It was a saturday and early, was on my way to work. The road had packed snow, I was driving a malibu station wagon. The light changed from green to red and I needed to stop. I pulled the gear shift on the collum from drive to d2 then d1 and applied the brake ever so slightly. As I was doing this I could feel the rear wheels slowing me down and also keeping me straight. I thought I had a plan for this winter driving.

The next morning on the way to work, conditions were the same. I'll be dogged if that same light didn't catch me again. No problem, I down shift the auto transmission into D2. Before I knew what happened I had done 3 complete 360's and stopped in the same lane in perfect position to be stopped at the light. After gathering my senses, It dawned on me. I'm in my wifes pontiac 6000, a front wheel drive car! Duh

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

We get some of those drivers too.

Without wanting to make light of the tragedy recorded in the video; :(

Up here we say that the benefit of 4WD over 2WD, is that 4WD allows you to get hopelessly stuck much further off the road then if you only had 2WD. :rolleyes:

11. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

2 words

Slow Down

12. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Yep, in the incident I described above I was going too fast for road conditions. The street had three lanes on either side plus a turn lane. Just a few cars on the road. Yes, slow down.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I was in new mexico once on US 70 in alamogordo and a guy in a 4x4 dodge dually came across the grass median directly towards me. I was driving a big rig, 08 Frieghtliner Columbia with eaton fuller 10 speed and detroit series 60. I was only going about 25 cause i knew it was slick. I started downshifting and intermittenly pumped the brakes. It kinda freaked me out when i looked in the drivers side mirror and saw my 48' flatbed sliding sideways. The pickup stopped just before leaving the side of the road, he mustve been turning 4 thousand rpms, then he throws it in reverse and back up to 4k rpms again with all four wheels spinning slinging mud, snow and ice.

4wd does you no good when your sideways with your engine redlined....duh