winnie Model 94 angle eject

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Gh0zt36, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Does anyone have the stock front sight height for a m94 AE ? My front blade broke a while ago and finally getting around to replacing it . I want to get a williams fire sight but dont want the peep so I need a stock height .

Thanks in advance.

2. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What is your serial number range?

4. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Thanks sir. I ended up getting the williams foolproof peep / fire sight combo from brownells . I appreciate the help though . I didn't really need the peep sight but I suppose it can't hurt either . :D

5. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Man this has been one nightmare after the next. So I got the williams fire sight / peep combo . Was drifting the new firesight in and the punch slipped off the dovetail on the sight and barely contacted the F/O and broke all the contact points holding the f/o tube in place. You should see how little steel they use to hold the tube it looks like the width of freakin aluminum foil. So now I gotta wait for williams to call me back to get a replacement shipped . ugghhh this freakin rifle is turning into the bane of my existence .

6. danf_fl

I'll give you $25 for it. :)

7. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Lemme think about it :p

EDIT : Also for those wondering . The stock height for a winchester 94 angle eject is .538

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  8. Sharps40

Sharps40 New Member

Here is the math for calculating new front site height.

Diameter of barrel at rear site / 2 = A

Height of rear sight leaf (top edge) above barrel when rear site is set at mid point = B

Diameter of barrel at front site / 2 = C

Formula (A + B) - C = D

D = The height of the front sight, above the surface of the barrel, to be installed. Pick a sight closest in height to the value of D.

For example, from a Marlin Marauder conversion I recently completed....(Dovetail in barrel)

(.914/2 + .377) - (.664/2) = Front Site Height

(.457 + .377) - (.332) = Front Site Height

.834 - .332 = .502" Front Site Height.

If I was using a 1/8" tall ramp, I'd deduct that from the sight height calcualtion of .502" and purchase a front sight just that much shorter, e.g. .377" (.377 + .125 = .502 above the barrel)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  9. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Ok , so it is my opinion williams gun sights are not that great tolerances ARN'T EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to being in spec.

So yea , I DO NOT recommend a williams fire sight for a winchester 94 .

I just called to tell them my experience with their sights is they are junk and the sight has now smashed my dovetails on my rifle cause the stock its machined out of is too wide it appears and the customer service woman said " thank you " and hung up on me .

real nice

I wonder do they have a little troll hand chiseling the stock to make these sights? They say they are CNC machined but with the precise nature of a CNC theres noooo way these sights could be this far out of spec.

Thanks williams the dovetail on my rifle is now near ruined.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  10. danf_fl

11. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I got it as good as its gonna get . I hammered the sight back out with a 5 lb blacksmith hammer and ground a 1/16 of an inch of alluminum off the bottom and hammered it back in .

The sight is thrashed and chopped looking , the tips of the dove tail wings that go over the tapered part of the sight are a bit peeled back now. It does not look near as nice as it used to .

I'll never buiy any williams anything ever again. But it's as good as it ever will be .

Thanks for the tip . If its too loose down the road ill loctite blue the sight in .

12. Sharps40

Sharps40 New Member

One typically works on the inexpensive component. Most sights, aftermarket (Lyman and Marbles included) are manufactured a bit big to allow for oversize/damaged dovetails. Fit the sight to the dovetail with a safe sided file or if you prefer, work on the expensive part, the dovetail with the safe sided files to clean it up.

Sights must never be pounded in. Proper fit, is a thumb push fit from 1/4 To 1/3 of the total witdth of the dovetail. From there they should tap in snugly with a brass rod without deformation of either the sight or the dovetail. If not, the fit of the sight to the dovetail is incorrect.

Marbles sights come with a slight tapered lead in and are pressed home from the right side of the gun (looking from the butt end) to left. Lyman and Williams sights do not have the tapered lead and may be a bit more difficult to start. It helps with these to file in the lead and touch up with cold blue or aluminum black depending on the makers choice of metal for the sight.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  13. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Well I had to take a whole lotta metal off the bottom to get it to fit and the metal stock itself was too wide and curled back the dovetail wings a bit . which has nothing to do with damaged dovetails .

14. Sharps40

Sharps40 New Member

Sounds like ya know whats best. I'll leave be and leave ya to it.

15. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I don't know what's " best " but to me sendng a part will damage your gun to make sure it fits other damaged guns doesn't seem like the way things should be . But that's me.

16. nulreference

nulreference New Member

sounds to me like you didn't measure at all and bashed it with a hammer to make it fit... perhaps the error belongs to the installer?

and many/most gun parts are slightly oversize so they can be cut/ground/trimmed to a custom perfect fit.....

17. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Isn't that what I payed the manufacturer for ? How am I supposed to machine 1/32 off each side of a 1/4 of an inch surface thats a half an inch wide with any degree of consistency ? With a dremel? Do I need a machine shop to purchase these parts?

Once again I'm not a machinist . I can see a bit of fitting but when the metal stock itself is too wide I don't think that is acceptable. But thats me .

18. danf_fl

Dern, now that you got a front sight on it, I have to raise my offer to $35. j/k :)

19. Sharps40

Sharps40 New Member

Best to leave go and leave be I think. Sometimes it takes a few skinned knees to get up an running.