Wine?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Jul 24, 2014.

1. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Do you drink wine?
    What's your flavor?

I prefer dry reds. Things like Rioja, Tuscans, Argentine, Chilean, etc.

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Red wine, usually Zin's or Cab's. Usually under ~$12 a bottle. I'm cheap but there are a lot of good wines out there that are inexpensive.

3. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I like sweet whites and dessert type wines like moscato and riesling. Growing up my family used to get together with all our close friends and everyone would make wine once a year it was a huge event. The wine we made was named Inzaladina and that name was the first 2 letters of every participating families name. We were great friends with the Magnanini's who own a vineyard right down the road in Wallkill, NY and we would do all the makings and everything right there. It was tons of fun and the wines were great. Now I was pretty young, but growing up in an Italian household I had a glass of wine with dinner since before I can remember. Well needless to say when I became a teenager me and my friends got into the reds and the vershnoot that were stored out in the barn and got pretty hammered. I got ridiculously sick and ever since then I cannot drink red wine(even blush makes me nauseaus lol)

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I Prefer Home Made Wine`s !................My Favorite is Black Berry.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I occasionally drink some whites but not often. Pinot Noir is my favorite but a lot depends on what we are eating. Spicy foods call for a good Chianti which runs about $12 and up. The cheap stuff is crap. Rufino does make some good stuff and there is a big difference. Also like Syrah/Shiroz and Merlot. We had company Tuesday and served a 2005 California Syrah which was very good. Everyone is producing Cabernet and they have gotten average. Easy to find a decent one under $10 but really good ones are expensive. My SIL is a wine snob and has some really expensive wines. He served me some very expensive wine and it did not taste any better to me. I like good wine but I am not a snob about it. I dont have a "developed pallet" according to him. When I run into one of the snobs I always think of the druggie on Taxi. He could tell you which farmer grew the pot and which field down to the row.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  6. havasu

havasu Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I like the red blends myself.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

any flavor that myself or my uncle make.. so far my favorite is rhubarb.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Reislings from the Mosel Valley of Germany.

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I am more of a 'beer' guy, but do like a glass of vino occasionally, usually a mascato, moderately sweet. I have a good friend who likes the more expensive ($100+ a bottle) dry wines. He has served them to me and he gets REAL upset when I threaten to add some grape juice to sweeten it up and make it drinkable!;)

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer the heavy, dry red wine, like Bergundy. Bordeau isn't bad either.

"The Christian Brothers" California Bergundy is excellent for a low cost dinner wine.

For serving with fish or fowl, any good imported German Rhine or Mosel, or Beringer's white Zinfandel is hard to beat.

Japanese Plum wines are interesting every now and them for a change of pace.

11. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

I started drinking wine just recently. I like white wines mostly and sweet wine. I had a good Pinot Noir last night though. I've had some that I really liked and some I couldn't stand. I'm experimenting.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The only wine I like is Sake.... :)

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I love Saki, too.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like a White Zin if I am going to drink wine. I am not much of a drinker though.

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

Dry reds like cabs and tuscans. Best cheap cab IMO is Francis Coppola Black Label Claret. Runs about $15 a bottle, 2003 was a great year if you can find it.

Used to hate wine, but waiting tables at Carrabba's in college changed that. Now I have a taste for the expensive stuff, if I ever win the Powerball I'm building a wine cellar the size of my current house.

16. 1911love

1911love New Member

Here's a few suggestions to develop your pallet, all are inexpensive.

White: Clous DuBois Sauvignon Blanc. Clean, crisp taste. Just a tad drier than chardonnay.

Red: Santa Christina Sangiovese. It's a blend of 85% Sangiovese, with about 10% Merlot and 5% Cabernet. Very smooth without the dryness of a typical cab, but not as sweet as the typical merlot.

Sweet: Chateau Ste. Michelle Reisling. Light body possessing a sweet peach undertone with a hint of apricot. Pretty tasty!

17. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I am not much for wine. But a fellow I know makes "Dandelion" wine. Now making wine out of weeds is interesting. It is not too bad.

18. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I too am mostly a beer guy, but as someone mentioned the Reislings from the Mosel valley are by far my favorite. For reds I like a red zinfedal and a fairly cheap chianti.

19. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them.

I mostly drink whiskey, but I've started drinking wine quite a bit lately, mostly I like it, I've only tried one so far I didn't like.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Had to give it up. Too much sugar to drink it regularly. A glass will put me to sleep for About 10 Hrs . Meanwhile it takes a lot more then that with Whiskey or Hard Cider. Had Gent.Jack with a bottle of Hornsby Cider chaser. Didn't open any of the Scotches at all. I have open bottles of johnnie Black, Blue, Green, and Gold, plus two filled unopened of Gold and Blue( both 1/5's). Also have 2 Glenfiddich, one Glenlivet, 1 Qt plus of John Begg,. A few different Jacks, Jim Beam, And a Qt. Of Knob Creek, and most of it is for company,..

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk