Winchestor Model 70...thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Nov 22, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

My dad just bought his first hunting rifle today..

A Winchester Model 70 featherweight
    Wood grain stock.
    22" barrel

I don't know too much about Winchester rifles, but what do you think?

I've heard it's got a great reputation..

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The legendary Winchester Mdl. 70 was made from 1937-1963. The rifle has undergone many changes. The American Winchester company is only a memory of a bygone time.
    The current Winchester Mdl. 70 is a product of FN under a Winchester license. I would think they are quality firearms.:)

3. icallshotgun88

I went with him and the guy at the store (sportman's warehouse) said that this model was built to pre 1963 specs..

So sounds like a good firearm, yeah?

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes FN has a fine reputation for making quality firearms. FN owns Browning and Winchester with corporate head quarters in Morgan, Ut. FN of Belgium was the producers of many Browning patents. The current FN Winchester Mdl. 70 offering is American made.;)

5. icallshotgun88

How do they stack up to the Remington 700?

Is one "better" than the other?

Which tends to be more accurate, or reliable, etc.?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

the current winchesters under fn are lightyears ahead of remingtons in quality

the classic versions of the m70 are what you look for.

7. janeitzel

janeitzel New Member

I brought a model 70 in 1962, it was a featherweight in 308 with a weaver 4x scope. At 6.25 # it kicked way to hard and hurt way to much to enjoy. It was very accurate and at that time you could get anything from 180 to 110 factory loads. Ending up taking a loss and sold it for $125. Had over $200 in it with.scope

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Too bad. The .308 Mdl. 70 Pre-64 Feather Weights are very popular stalking rifles for hunting in the Rocky Mtns. These are compact rugged dependable firearms.
    In very cold and freezing wet mountain conditions the Remington 700 extractors often fails. The Pre-64 Mdl.70 retained the battle proven Mauser external spring extractor. :)

9. Werminator

Werminator Member

I have a synthetic stocked stainless M70 in .243 for whitetail hunting in the midwest. I could not possibly be happier with any weapon than I am with this particular rifle. I like the 3 position safety (some think it is ridiculous and inconvenient) and my rifle is balls on accurate. It has claimed a number of deer (though I cant take the credit for most of em) and it works when I ask it to! When sighting in this fall for rifle season I used 1" stickers and I was able to put all 3 shots of a 3 shot group on the dot in 6 groups out of 6 groups. I am not a great shot by any means so this felt great to me! Got it in a trade wherein I let go of an sks and a hundred buckaroos... great deal now because the M70 sells for so much more..

10. nhjon1980

nhjon1980 New Member

I had a winchester mod 70 in 30-06. It was an awesome rifle. I wish i never sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have an older Model 70 that is not a pre 64. Mine is a 270 that I really like. Having the 270 was very handy during the shortage. 270 ammo was always in stock during the shortage. I bought the 270 because I was reading about Jack O'Connor's exploits with a Model 70 chambered in 270. I can say the model 70 is one gun I have never considered selling or left with a family member for an extended period of time.

IMO, you can do a hell of lot worse than a model 70 that someone bought for you to use. I have never found a better rifle than a free rifle.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My primary hunting rifle is a Model 70XTR in .30-06. Great gun. The new ones made by FN are even better.

They don't have the fancy walnut, and eye appeal of the old pre-64, but for what a rifle is made for, i.e. shooting, the new ones are actually a better gun than the old ones.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My Model 70 does have the walnut furniture. You get what you pay for. If you pay for beech you can't expect to rub some linseed oil on a scratch and it is repaired. It is the same way with my browning. I scratch it, so what? I rub it down with linseed oil you can't see the scratch. Beech on the other hand will leave an imprint were the scratch was at. You can rub out the imprint but it will take a lot more elbow grease.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Carbon fiber, kevlar and fiberglass are even better.