Winchester's New 1911 45cal Ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Threetango, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Would you really trust that the ammo will be the same? Long ago I was given advice from a very smart man who said he runs at least several hundred rounds of carry ammo in his carry guns and then sticks with ONLY that ammo for carry purposes. I want to save money as much as the next person but in a carry gun I think no corners should be cut.

Also how much of a savings is the defense vs target round? If we are talking less than half price they may have a large market but if you only save 20% is it really worth it?

2. mseric

mseric New Member

I don't shoot factory ammo, but if I did, I would certainly give it a try. "Try" would mean test the less expensive FMJ against the more expensive JHP for accuracy, POI and reliability in MY pistols. That way I wouldn't be "cutting corners".

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Rarely do I ever see .45 acp that's not 230 grain... So what makes it any better for the 1911 platform than anything else? Sounds like a marketing ploy to me:rolleyes:

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I agree it is all just marketing.

5. mseric

mseric New Member

Ploy is defined as a "trick". Nothing "tricky" about their Marketing Technique or their product. Like ALL products both manufactured and produced they need to be marketed and advertised in order to be sold.

Just because you don't feel the need to purchase inexpensive target ammo that has the same ballistics, POI and functionality as your high dollar Self Defense ammo doesn't mean that the manufacturer is trying to "Trick" you.

Do the Google on SD ammo and you will find a lot and I mean a lot of experts that say one should "Practice with What They Carry". That can be outrageously expensive for many shooters and just not feasible. This Ammo can give these shooters on a budget the best of both worlds. Shoot and practice cheap and protect with quality SD ammo without fear.

Nothing "Tricky" about it, just a great idea for those on a Budget. Don't like it, don't buy it, but a "trick" No Way!

OH, and as for 230gr ammo, might want to take a look here. Seven pages of 45 ACP ammo from 78gr all the way up to 255gr. If you have rarely seen anything but 230gr ammo, you need to get out more.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=15597

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with the ammo... I just said that slapping a 1911 on the box hints that if you have a 1911 this ammo is somehow superior to any other 230 grain out there.

And I was referring to on the shelf ammo, not online sales, you can find anything online.

7. mseric

mseric New Member

Sure ya did, you said it was a "Ploy" which by definition means a "trick". Trick by definition means to "deceive". You claim this ammo is deceptive, a trick and a falsehood.

8. activereality

activereality New Member

*Pulls up a chair and watches the internet wrestling match of hate begin*
    Anyone know the odds spread?

9. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

for crying out loud...... the guy posted some info.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

And he asked for comments.

So, with that in mind:

It's advertising/marketing excrement.

How many .45 acp cartridges ARE NOT designed with the 1911 in mind?
    I'm sure there's some out there, but I'm guessing they're fairly rare.
    Then of course there's the fact that most 1911s of modern vintage aren't especially fussy about ammo. My experience has been that more feed issues are mag related as opposed to ammo fussiness.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I got my bag of peanuts and a coke nearby! :)

12. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

The sheeple love gimmicks, just ask Hornady. I thought the flat nosed FMJ was a .40 S&W thing.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

winchester has been of late pretty damn good in keeping quality reloadable ammo on the cheap side. i havent come across any of their white box brand that hasnt been anything but outstanding.

if this stuff is like the rest of their product i dont see how it could be a bad thing