winchester

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by sagenodland, Oct 22, 2011.

1. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

So who else still hunts with a lever action 30-30 ?I use my grandpas pre 64 winchester 94 even though I got my 7mm mag .

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I primarily hunt with my cousin's pre 64 Winchester 94. I however do thorougly enjoy shooting it at tin cans and such.

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

We hunt whitetail with a Marlin 336C!

4. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

You guys over east don't get the oportunity to do 600 yard shots like we do over west but you have to get close with a lever nonetheless

I heard you can't hunt whitetails on the ground because they'll smell you or hear you before you even know their there is that trur

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have a 1945 Winchester 94 30-30 and I have yet to hunt with it!I want to,I just am always taking newer and overpowered guns in the woods with me to take shots the 30-30 could have easily done.It's such a small handy rifle with lots of firepower,I need to be using it.

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The hunting "experts" on tv will tell you that whitetails are so keen on smelling and seeing or hearing you that you have to use their scentkiller products or camo/uv eliminator in order to hunt well-some people believe this,but it's not true at all.You can light up a smoke and they will still get within 10 yards of you,and I have yelled at deer to make them stop walking and I swear they're deaf.The biggest thing is to be well concealed of movement,as long as you're in a blind they never know you're there.

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would love to go hunting in the west sometime. One thing I've always dreamed of doing was to get a Sharps rifle in 45-70 or some other odd ball cartridge and go hunting on the plains in the west. As far as whitetails go I always hunt on foot and so do all of my friends/family.

8. Win73

Win73 Member

Last year I went out to video some deer before season opened. I sat down on the ground, basically in the open. There were a couple of trees around me but I was not next to any of them. I had no camoflage on and no scent suppresion. I spotted four deer coming through the woods toward me about 150 yards away. At times I would lose sight of them because of brush. But they kept coming. They got about 20 yards from me before one of them busted me. I had the camera up all the time videoing them. I just sat still and didn't move. I don't know if the one which finally busted me caught my scent or if it heard the camera whirring, it is the tape type.

I have a portable ground blind. Last season I was hunting from it. I looked out the side window and saw a doe walking toward it. For the last ten yards it followed the same path I had followed to get in the blind. It got right in front of the blind and stopped. It was about six feet from me and had no idea I was there. If it had been much closer I could have reached out and touched it. That day I had used scent suppression, on me, my clothes, and my boots.

A funny story. My niece's husband was hunting from a portable ground blind in Missouri. He was watching out the front of the blind when a small buck stuck his head in the side window. He whipped his head around when the buck did that and he and the buck were literally nose to nose. Of course the buck immediately bolted and he could not get his rifle around in time for a shot.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

More deer been taken in the woods here in Ky with a 30-30 than any other two calibers put together. I have a 94 (not pre 64) that I would not second guess to take out with me any time I went out looking for deer.:)

Around here most people just hang their stuff outside for a couple days before they head out to the woods. Works better than any of those scent killers. I think most of that thinking comes from the hunting shows that are sponsored by people that sell scent killer. I used to hunt all the time with a smoke hanging out of my mouth and had no troubles at all;)

10. Carpshooter

Carpshooter New Member

A little known fact !

I own a pump 760 Gamemaster Remington , in 30-06 which I don't use cause I only shotgun hunt deer here in my home state ! :eek:

11. tCan

tCan Active Member

I'm not sure. The law where we hunt is that you have to be 8 feet above the ground anyway. As for long shots, it's pretty common to see people sighting in their rifles for 50 yards at the range. The 100 yard shot is a bit rare.

12. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Wow 50 yards? I sight my rifle in at 200 yards I've seen guys that shot at deer that look like specs in my scope on nine power

13. tCan

tCan Active Member

Sure. The trees stand so close together over here that even with no leaves, you're pretty likely to be hitting twigs and stuff. For example: In the video below, notice the bows on the ground. He made that clearing himself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-8CNgyYBs]Deer Hunting In North Carolina - YouTube[/ame]

This second video shows a typical density in a decently aged forest. Not a very long line of sight at all. Problem is most forests are younger than what you see here. It's pretty difficult to find any wooded area older than 60 years.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkqkiZSvUCA]nc deer hunt - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  14. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I live about 50 miles from Portland and its either really open or extremely dense when you can bearly walk through it

the elk like the dense and the deer like the open in the cases I've seen

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have hunted in the past with a winchester 94 in 30-03, though i never took a deer with that rifle. i have taken deer with a 243, 270, 30-06 and a 7mm rem. mag. but i wouldn't feel ashamed to take one with the 30-30 if that's all i had.

16. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The problem is that since the 1960's or so there have been so many bad arse calibers that have come out and we only have so much hunting time that we often neglect our 30-30's,I have even taken a deer with a .270 weatherby magnum@35 yards,and that's a gun meant to be zero'd at 300 yards,that's beyond rediculous when I was in an area of woods with no visibility beyond 75 yards-I should have been out there with my 30-30!

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

tcan, where are you hunting? I will agree that not many shots exceed 150 yards but limited to 50??

I also see a new thread coming...

18. tCan

tCan Active Member

I didn't mean to imply that it was limited to 50 yards, but that 50 yards seems to be the more common distance. With .30-30, if you zero at 50, you're also zero'd for 75 yards, and only .25" below the zero at 100 yards and 2.5" below at 150 yards. It kind of makes sense considering what your more common shots are going to be.

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but:

We're leasing 300 acres of land with 5 other guys. The land was selectively logged a while back, leaving some logging roads (red lines). We've got our shooting lane setup along the "T" of one of these lanes. The dead ahead shot is about 100 yards. To the left we've got a 45 yard opportunity and to the right maybe 25 yards. But we had to clear and mow all that out. And it's still difficult to get a game cart back there.

The land sits in a pocket next to two small roads (double black lines) with a derelict house we use to sleep in the night before we hunt (grey). The yellow area is farm field.

[​IMG]

19. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

tCan, great explaination. Your thoughts on your zero are spot on as well. I personally would zero at 100 to stretch the range should I need to but nothing wrong with what you're doing.

20. tCan

tCan Active Member

Well, the difference in trajectory between a 100 and 50 yard zero probably isn't much. Incidentally, we do zero at 100 yards. An inch one way or the other isn't going to make a bit of difference with a .30-30 is it? *Bang!* DRT. :p