Winchester White Box

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by WeeMan9194, Nov 23, 2012.

1. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

I'm a little new to shooting. I was wondering how the winchester white box was. I'm using them for target practice in a .45 acp. I've heard mixed reviews on them; they were extremely dirty, issues, etc. Just want some reviews.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

For target practice I like em. For everyday carry-wont happen.

3. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

I've also heard using them could void your warranty. Is this true?

4. Kalash1138

Kalash1138 New Member

That's a new one on me, most Mgfr's will void warranty on reloads, overseas made,STEEL CASED AMMO etc.. not NEW brass/nickle made USA ammo. I've shot thousands of WWB ammo with no issues.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No- No gun manufacturer cud void a warranty cause you used a name brand ammo in it---Well, mabe Kimber :p
    I use it for practice/plinking all the time- As said not for carry but i wouldn't worry if thats all i had-

6. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

Are they really all that much dirtier shooting than other ammo?

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Doesn't seem to be IMO-
    Not enuff for me to worry about - You're going to clean the gun anyway rite?

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I don't love it, but it works for target practice. I haven't had great luck with any Winchester ammo. My personal reccomendation would be to buy Federal.

9. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Your fine, I use it all the time. I have really never had one problem. The only ammo that sucks is Tulammo. Dont buy that crap.

10. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

I have flawless functioning with WWB and I deliberately didn't clean my 9mm firearms until about 1,000 rounds of flawless functioning with WWB!

11. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

I would look into bvac. Its about as cheap as your going to find and very good quality ammo.Nothing wrong with the white box stuff though. I have shot a lot of it through my model 29 and never had a misfire and is no more dirty than any other ammo as far as I can tell.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Never had a problem with it myself-

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Is it the greatest? No. It is however, more than satisfactory for typical range use.

No. Assuming your using the correct caliber for your particular gun.

Not really.
    The whole "dirty ammo" thing is a pet peave of mine. Who cares, unless it's like black powder fouling? Clean your gun properly after each use and you need never worry about it.
    You want dirty ammo? Come shoot some of my cast bullet reloads running Bullseye or Unique. I'd bet WWB or Fiocchi or whatever people currently see as "dirty ammo" will seem positively sparkling in comparison. And you know what? It's really not that big of a deal to clean up in spite of all the grunge.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Winchester's "generic" ammo. Excellent for practice. Remingtron makes "UMC" and Federal makes a generic as well. It's all good.:)

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

winchester whitebox is what i use in my lcp for self defense. its also a great source of reloadable 7.62x54r it comes as 180grain softpoint which is good for hunting.

ive used their 45acp fmj from time to time when ive had gift certificates or rewards credits from store purchases. it shoots cleaner than hornady stuff ive tried

16. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

It's ok for target practice. I find it "dirtier" than tula. I like the brass though.

17. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Well you have been very lucky. I have never bought one box that did not have multiple FTF's per box from 380, 9mm and 45acp. Its extremely dirty and crap ammo, for me. I will stick to WWB or Federal for range use. It only costs a little bit more and keeps me from getting headaches. To each his own, right, thats why they have allot of different brands.