Winchester Silver Tip 9mm 115 gr

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by GlockRenegade, Sep 30, 2013.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ok so my buddy gave me a box of this ammo. I had given him 2 of my old holsters so he returned the favor. I have read the penetration is around 11-12 inches and below FBI standards and all that good jazz. But I think this would be preffered in an apartment? Thoughts? Experience with ammo?

2. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Forgot to say they are JHP's

3. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Below FBI penetration standards is not preferred in an apartment or anywhere else. The standards are designed to give the amount of penetration to punch into the vital organs from any angle, while minimizing any possibility of injury or property damage if the round does pass all the way through the BG.

A stray round with good enough ballistics to kill someone will punch through your sheetrock walls with no problems at all.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

What you want to look into if you can find it is the full test done on your ammo. The FBI test will demonstrate what it does through heavy clothing, doors, windshield glass and vehicle steel.

If this is the old 115g silver tip, then it is the one the FBI agents were carrying in the 1986 Miami shootout, and even with head shots it did not stop the subjects they were dealing with. I was told that it's failure in that shootout was part of the reason the FBI began developing their ballistic standards in the first place. I've never read any articles that stated that myself, but it makes sense.

I'd use it for varmints and target plinking. I certainly wouldn't trust it to my life, since it is partially to blame for the agents who lost theirs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Holy crap they are the same rounds used in Miami... well im glad I asked - thanks man

5. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Looks like I'm going back to Winchester PDX... which passed FBI tests with flying colors lol

6. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I used to carry rangers in my Glock 22, they cycled great and never corroded. I switched agencies and had to switch ammo. But I really liked the Winchester rounds. I still have a box or two that I load in one of my mags when I carry to the deer stand. It does freaky things to varmints. Once blew a pretty big lab's entire lower jaw right off.

7. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

PDX1 .40 cal

Attached Files:

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

In the north Hollywood bank robberies, the ensuing shootout would have been a one man affair if an undercover officer had FMJ ammo in his 380. He shot one of the robbers in the shoulder at the perfect angle to miss his body armor. The HP bullet he was using hit the robbers arm bone and stopped.

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I have not been able to find a single 380 round that can pass the FBI penetration standards. 380 is not a recommended self defense caliber for reasons that line up with that exact story john deer.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I agree 100%. When fired from a 2" barrel the 380 is comparable to a 22 wmr fired from a 2" barrel. The Bersa thunder is the only popular 380 that has a long enough barrel to get the best out the 380 cartridge. The Bersa thunder is as big as my Ruger P95. The thunder is a full sized pistol contrary to popular belief.