Winchester Service Grade in a Star BM?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DHall_37, Jul 10, 2020.

1. DHall_37

DHall_37 New Member

Hello everyone, I purchased my Star BM a while ago and I was wondering what type of ammo would be best to shoot in it?

I bought 2 boxes of Winchester service grade 115g ammo because a lot of other 9mm isn’t very available. It shot pretty well other than sending the cases flying pretty far once extracted and I noticed that the firing pin was striking pretty high.

I know that the Star BM doesn’t like high power ammo and is the 9mm service grade to powerful for it? Some people say it’s closer to +P. But I don’t really know what to believe.

Also is having the firing pin strike a little high necessarily a bad thing? It seems to shoot pretty accurately and doesn’t jam the action or anything.

IMG_3092.jpg IMG_3093.jpg

I can add more pictures if needed?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. DHall_37

DHall_37 New Member

IMG_3115.jpg
    These are all the casings I found after firing.

big shrek likes this.

3. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Classic old school 9mm.

Echeverria is "ok" i wouldn't buy one for my kit but I would pick one up and use it in a pinch.
    (Panama 1989, before the invasion)

Maybe gauge the barrel. If this is a recent purchase for you, it may have been fired 20,000 times before it got to you.

Post up some pick of the pistol assembled and disassembled and some of the pistoleros here can tell ya more than looking at consistent high primer strikes.

Did you introduce yourself?
    Maybe try that too.
    Welcome to the forum. Thanks for dropping in.

4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

As long as those primer strikes are consistently the same and it functions good I wouldnt worry about it. Its probably done that since day one.

big shrek likes this.
  5. DHall_37

DHall_37 New Member

Ok, and I’ll post some pictures once I’m back home. However, I’d also like to know what type of ammo would be safe to shoot in my Star BM? Winchester service grade is all I can find, every thing else is bought up but service grade is like 1360 fps while white box Winchester is like 1100

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    towboater and schnuffleupagus like this.
  6. Ghost1958

Had one years ago. Thing was a tack driver.
    I shot some plus p in it but not much.

As long as you steer clear of plus p and NATO rounds the pistol should last you a good long time.

7. Ghost1958

Oh and DONT dry fire it . Not with snap caps , not at all. You will screw the firing pin. And the firing pins for those were individually fitted to each pistol at the factory.

big shrek likes this.
  8. DHall_37

DHall_37 New Member

Yeah I know not to dry fire the BM, do y’all think Winchester service grade would be plus P? Since it says on the box expect 10-15% extra pressure?

9. Ghost1958

Usually plus p will be labeled plus p.

I've shot Winchester service grade in my pistols and it didnt FEEL anything like NATO or plus p. But that's just me.

10. DHall_37

DHall_37 New Member

Yeah I just don’t wanna break anything, parts for a BM are kinda expensive but I know where to find them, and I’ll try some 124 or 115 Luger, my friend has, to see if the primers look different. And would the pistol launching shells like really far out like 10-15 feet be a sign of too much pressure? Because that’s what the pistol does.

11. Ghost1958

Just me but if it concerned me then I'd just shoot plain old WWB or something similar in it.
    I realize it's kind scare right now though.

12. DHall_37

DHall_37 New Member

Yes it is, but I think my buddy has some for trade so I might be able to get some off him, but thanks for the advice!!!

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

It was my impression that W-W "Service Grade" is basically NATO spec loaded for civilian sales.

1200 FPS and over is definitely up in the Stanag velocity range. (I think W-W rates it around 1200 FPS)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  14. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

Spain is a NATO nation.
    The BM will handle NATO ammunition just as well as most pistols.

big shrek and Ghost1958 like this.
  15. Ghost1958

I was pretty sure that was the case but I didnt want to say so unless I was sure.

I know I fired nato and plus p in the one I had years ago and it was fine.

I have to say that pistol was as if not more accurate at longer ranges than any pistol I've ever owned.

16. DHall_37

DHall_37 New Member

Thanks for the advice fellas! And it’s a very accurate gun, at about 50 yards I was nailing a 2 foot X 2 foot rock. However, I’m gonna try some 124g 9mm Luger and see if it likes the lower pressure a little bit better. I just don’t wanna push my pistol to far and break something.

big shrek likes this.
  17. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I forget who it is, being old & stuff...
    but there is a guy who makes replacement FP's for Stars.
    You'll haveta internet search him out tho...

SARCO & Numrich also carry spare parts.

Better to have and not need,
    than need and not have.