Winchester Rounds?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by rstarlin23, Aug 14, 2011.

1. rstarlin23

rstarlin23 New Member

Are Winchester Rifled Slugs(Hollow Point) a good choice for self-defense or would I be better with Buckshots? Thanks

2. rstarlin23

rstarlin23 New Member

If so Buckshot #6, #7, #8?

3. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I hunt with my shotguns, so that being said I keep #6 high brass game loads loaded up, but I would choose buckshot if thats what you would like to use over slugs, just because you have to half *** aim with a slug and in the dark that might be a little hard to do, with the buckshot you can do the proverbial pray and spray, point in general direction and let loose, one round that I think would be awesome is the Dead Coyote #4s they straight up stop yotes in their tracks and im pretty sure they would do the same on an assailant as well.

Gersty

4. rstarlin23

rstarlin23 New Member

Yes this Maverick 88 is just a home defense gun, I dont do any hunting at all(and wont be)...so for a self defense round you would go with a buckshot over a slug do to having to somewhat aim a slug?

5. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I would definitely choose some sort of scatter shot over a slug, or you could do a mix a lot of guys will do 1 or 2 birdshot for what they call a "warning shot" or what I call the reconsideration factor, then a couple buck shot and if they are still coming at ya shoot some 1 oz slugs there way and that will definitely get their attention.

Gersty

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

00 buck for shotgun loads. the only warning a goblin gets is "go away i have a gun" after that they get shot if they persist in threatening life or property. no such thing as warning shots.

7. Wambli

Wambli Member

00 buckshot or slugs are effective SD loads. I prefer slugs for my situation. At indoor distances no size shot will have much time to spread more than a couple of inches at best so any load you choose will have to be aimed. The shotgun point and shoot theory is not correct.

8. rstarlin23

rstarlin23 New Member

When you say 00, what does that mean? I have Winchester rifled slugs(hollow point) 12 gauge 2 &3/4" 1oz. Slug, 1600 fps. Any good for SD?

9. Wambli

Wambli Member

Yes they are.

10. rstarlin23

rstarlin23 New Member

Good thats basically all I needed to know...thanks everyone for your responses.