1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, but then again, that's what they've been doing for years. Realistically, most of the old calibers cover the gamut from varminting through any game animal in the US you want to take. But if all they did was churn out all the same rounds year after year, the ammo and firearms industry would stagnate. If we didn't have so many calibers to argue over which is best, we'd be bored! :)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
So it’s more or less another dumb hipster cartridge that’ll be gone in a year.
Well, One thing that it does is allow shooter's to shoot the new longer high BC .277" bullets that require a faster twist rate in order to stabilize the bullet's.
Not only will your 270 Winchester not stabilize the bullet's that are designed to be shot out of the 6.8 Western, you probably couldn't seat the bullet out far enough in the case because it won't fit in your magazine, and your barrel won't have a deep enough throat.

If you ever start shooting long range, you'll learn pretty fast how inferior most of the old time standard hunting & military cartridges are compared to the new designed cartridges are. A lot of the new bullet designs don't work well in old style cartridges without having a custom reamer made in order to have a chamber long enough to allow for the extra bullet length, and then getting a custom barrel with the correct twist rate in order to stabilize them.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Well, One thing that it does is allow shooter's to shoot the new longer high BC .277" bullets that require a faster twist rate in order to stabilize the bullet's.
Not only will your 270 Winchester not stabilize the bullet's that are designed to be shot out of the 6.8 Western, you probably couldn't seat the bullet out far enough in the case because it won't fit in your magazine, and your barrel won't have a deep enough throat.

If you ever start shooting long range, you'll learn pretty fast how inferior most of the old time standard hunting & military cartridges are compared to the new designed cartridges are. A lot of the new bullet designs don't work well in old style cartridges without having a custom reamer made in order to have a chamber long enough to allow for the extra bullet length, and then getting a custom barrel with the correct twist rate in order to stabilize them.
Or I could also get a higher twist barrel for my .270 and I’ll be able to shoot them.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Or I could also get a higher twist barrel for my .270 and I’ll be able to shoot them.
Not without a longer throat reamed in the chamber. Yes, you could stuff a really long bullet deeper into your case, but then you will loose a lot of powder space in the case, so then you can't get good velocities.
You'd also need to get a custom bullet seating stem for your bullet seating die, or you will be damaging the nose of the bullet's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This seems akin to the 284 Winchester. How many “short” magnums have come about since? If one were so inclined, they could rebarrel an old M700LA with a new fast twist and cut the throat a bit longer...

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
There's no real advantage at practical hunting distances. It doesn't have the AR-15 comptability angle. It's sole appeal is to the long-range paper punchers. Dead in a year.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Most of the stuff you guys are talking about here is way over my head. I just cant help but think how nice it would be if they produced some of the old calibers instead of farting around with a new one.... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In general, there has been a trend toward long bullets and long range shooting by shooters. Physically longer bullets for any given caliber typically means better ballistic coefficient (aerodynamically they're slipperier), which means they maintain supersonic speeds for longer ranges. The long range and benchrest competitors have been doing it for years, and some of the now mainstream cartridges that used to be wildcats have come from that discipline. Those guys prefer long, heavy (slower) bullets because they maintain velocity longer. Yeah, my 22-250 will spit out a 35 grain flat base bullet at almost twice the velocity at the muzzle as compared to many of those long range shooter's, but that little bullet is so light and has such poor ballistic coefficient it doesn't maintain it's speed for long. You're not realistically going to go shoot 1000 yards with a factory 22-250 and have any hope of being consistent. Even if you could, there's so little energy at that range for that little bullet, you couldn't use it to hunt anything but paper.

Really long bullets require the right amount of space in the chamber to fit and, as TRxHillbilly points out, the throat area of a given cartridge's factory chamber can be too short to accommodate these new long bullets. You'll also find that the rifling twist rates in factory barrels are frequently too slow to stabilize them as well.

There have been a few factory cartridges that have come out that are known for their long range capabilities, like the ubiquitous 6.5 Creedmoor, and perhaps a few others. But a few just won't do. We need more of them, and we need them in every fractional inch or mm caliber known to the entire gun world. After all, without 3,642,499 different cartridges that can shoot a hair out a gnat's nostril at eleventy billion yards, we'd have nothing to spend our $$$ on and nothing to argue about in forums to one-up the other guy with or claim it the best cartridge ever invented for (insert your own scientifically precise unlikely shooting scenario here).

OK, just kidding on that last part...sort of.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed. With the current shortage and demand, I think it's bad timing on Winchester's part to introduce a new cartridge. That alone may keep it from ever becoming popular. I've seen some of the AR guys already asking if anyone is planning to fit this into an AR-10 and if anyone is making barrels for it yet.

Impossible to say, but I think unless this thing contains some kind of secret magic sauce it'll become yet another foot note in cartridge history.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Competition shooter's, Long range shooter's, and Wildcatter's are what keep the gun industry striving to improve their products.
If it was left up to guy's that only hunt, the complete firearm's industry would've gone bankrupt decades ago. It's the people that want something different or improved that drive the shooting sports industry.

Some people like to own and shoot antique war relics, and that's all they like. Some people like to shoot the new and improved cartridge's and bullet's, and wring the absolute best performance they can out of a certain caliber.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Agreed. With the current shortage and demand, I think it's bad timing on Winchester's part to introduce a new cartridge. That alone may keep it from ever becoming popular. I've seen some of the AR guys already asking if anyone is planning to fit this into an AR-10 and if anyone is making barrels for it yet.

Impossible to say, but I think unless this thing contains some kind of secret magic sauce it'll become yet another foot note in cartridge history.
The ammo shortage has nothing to do with a new cartridge coming out. They've probably spent 2-3 years developing the cartridge, as well as Winchester & Browning designing the rifles chambered in it.

If you don't have any ammo to shoot, then that's all on you. You've had plenty of time to stock up on it before there was a panic dash to buy it.
Only people that are new to shooting in the last year have an excuse of not being able to buy ammo for their guns.
Everyone else is just SOL, and I don't feel bad for you. You had plenty of time to buy ammo and reloading supplies before the shortage.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't say the shortage had anything to do with the cartridge coming out, I just said it's bad timing it was introduced in the midst of the current shortage.

Not sure what the rest of what you said has to do with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts