Winchester ranger modifications

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by coopertrooper, Jul 30, 2013.

1. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I have a Winchester ranger semi-auto 12 gauge, and I was looking at the magazine and noticed that it was crimped so it can only hold 2 in the mag, what is the best way to fix that??

image-3085914702.jpg

2. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

That sucks, can you buy a non crimped replacement or remove it and drive a mandrel through it?

3. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

The parts for this thing is so rare that I doubt I can find a replacement

4. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

I have a Winchester 120 Ranger 12 ga as well. I know a bunch of the parts for the Winchester 1300 are interchangeable with it. That might be a better option for you.

5. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

Do you know of Any dealers that might have the parts or are most of the parts privately owed?

6. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

Try ar-7.com. They've got shotgun parts out the hind end!!

7. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I looked and it seems that they do have a pretty good range of shotgun parts that is comparable with my shotgun, thanks!

8. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

You're welcome. I'm actually gonna be buying a new barrel from them as well.

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Why do you feel that you need more than three shot? If you can't do it with three, two more are not going to help you much. The Ranger autos were made to hold only three shells. If you ever hunt ducks or doves (or any migratory game birds) then by law your gun must not be capable of firing any more than three shots.
    ct

10. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

If you don't want to spend (much) money on it you can buy a dowel that's BARELY smaller than the id of the mag tube and pound it through with a mallet. I did that to a mag tube before and it worked great. You don't need a long one that's the size of the tube...maybe two inches. Then use a smaller dowel (not to much smaller...1/8-1/4" difference) otherwise if you run a full length one through the tube it will get stuck.

11. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Basic sheet metal repair.....

When this problem shows up here(not limited to firearms).....theres a cpl ways of doing the job.

Its going to be either an expanding arbor,works well with round thingys...but can also be devised on sq/rectangular tubes utilizing,"sliding" wedges.

The "trick" is where to apply dedicated hammer strikes.You expand,then litely tap around the perimeter of dent.The metal got stretched....whether its on purpose(as in this case),or by accident.Then expand a bit more...tappy tap....Wash,repeat.You just have to be aware of the stretch and subsequent "shrink" techniques.Do it wrong and you can have a bigarse mess.

Hence the need for an expanding arbor.Google-foo shotgun brrl dent removers.Also look into tailpipe expanders....obviously too big,but look at how they're made.Further...look at the handlebar stem on a bicycle.They're a good example of how we making sliding wedge style expanders(for sq stock).

Above is not an endorsement on modifying a firearm.Presenting it from a mechanical/skill standpoint.

P.S.We also do right much of simply sectioning the part,and Tig'n in a straight pce. when you can't access or reach it from an end.