Winchester PDX1?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by BigB, Oct 23, 2012.

1. BigB

BigB New Member

I need an ammo expert to clarify for me. Am I understanding it correctly that the PDX1 ammo is the modern bonded version of the Black Talons and Ranger SXT? Some say yes, others say no. I heard a Winchester rep say the PDX1 and Ranger used the same bullet. I do know the PDX1 is the FBI carry round. Any info would be appreciated!

2. BigB

BigB New Member

Answered my own question. Here is a pic of a Federal Hydra Shok 124gr (L) and a Winchester PDX1 124gr (R)

ForumRunner_20121024_073803.jpg

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I thought that the FBI carried the Hornady Critical Duty. It's the only ammo to get 100% in their trial testing.

That's all I will carry.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

And to answer your question, yes. PDX1 is pretty much a bonded Black Talon.

5. BigB

BigB New Member

The PDX box claims it, and thanks for the info!

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I don't thank that have started carrying it yet. They have a contract with Winchester. That will have to wait for it to be up then change to CD. That is what they will most likely be going to tho.

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I like the Critical Duty. My rule of thumb for hunting and defense is, Hornady or hand-loads.

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

It's definitely the best in my book. I just wish they would hurry up with the .45

9. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

Pretty much the same bullet but the PDX1 have the nickel coated casings. I carry PDX1 124 +Ps in my 9mm and PDX1 165s in my 40sw.

10. BigB

BigB New Member

Update, after further research, the PDX1 has 6 petals to the Rangers 8. Apparently the Ranger line is being discontinued as the PDX1 is an improved round. I downloaded a pdf from American Rifleman comparing the PDX1 vs the Critical Defense. Both are considered to be the best out there, with neither having a distinct advantage over the other. The PDX1 performed slightly better in ballistics testing using gelatin, glass, steel, drywall, &plywood. The CD performed better in the plywood testing portion. Now if only I could figure out how to upload the pdf!

11. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

We are talking about the critical duty. It's made by the same people but it is a completely different round. Critical defense is for short barrel guns. Critical duty is a much better round but its for guns with about a 4" and up barrel. It has past all the FBI testing. Penetrates bare gel heavy and lightly clothed gel, sheet metal, auto glass, ply wood, ext all with consistently maintaining the 12-16" penetration required by the FBI. The most impressive is how well it penetrates the auto glass. Btw I carry pdx1. The only reason I have not switched is bc I carry a .45 and they are still developing it in critical duty.

12. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

13. BigB

BigB New Member