Winchester or Remington

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by sola7, Apr 26, 2011.

1. sola7

sola7 New Member

Hello all, I'm looking at adding a shotgun to my collection. I'm a little ignorant about shotguns. Im looking for a good home defense and general use gun. Im looking at the Remington 870 and the Winchester SPX defender. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions. Much appreciated.

2. Wambli

Wambli New Member

The beauty of the Remington is that like AR's there are an unlimited amount of accessories out there that allow you to make your shotgun into anything you want/need. I have no experience with the Winchester SPX

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Remy 870 is a very solid, well built, easy to use, easy to take down and easy to modify weapon. Parts can be had practically everywhere and everyone in the gunsmithing realm is familiar with them should you need help.

The Winchester SXP is A newer line of lighter weight shotguns that offers both a pump and a semi if memory serves. They are not "brand new" but they are not as combat and time tested as the 870.

Personally I don't like a light weight shotgun, especially in a 12 gauge, but I don't bird hunt either. My shotgun has a purpose and that is short term area clearing should a need arise, so a little extra weight doesn't bother me.

For my money, I would recommend the 870.

Good luck and keep us informed.

JD

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

By all appearances, the SXP seems to be an updated 1300. This is an excellent shotgun. Far faster to cycle than an 870 and IMHO a superior design. As far as "combat proven", these are essentially the updated version of the Winchester 1200's issued to the US armed forces in the 60's. They did see action in Vietnam.

I would have no hesitation in purchasing one.

The 870 has sufferred from QC issues of late. The Mossberg 590 is supplanting the 870 as the shoulder arm of choice for US LE agencies.

5. sola7

sola7 New Member

That fact that the Winchester is made in Turkey shouldn't bother me? Id love to buy American but it seems increasingly difficult unless you have lots of $$ which I do not. Not yet anyway until the wife gets out of pharmacy school..:D:D

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You can get either the 870 or the previous model, the 1300 that Robo is talking about, used in just about any gunshop around the country for much less than you would expect.

Out of respect for my large friend, I will just say that the 870 is one hell of a user friendly shotgun and it's very easy for a novice/beginner to learn and master.

Semi autos are wonderful as well, I just don't know much about the new one that Winchester is putting out even if the design is similar.

JD

7. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

The 870 is the LE stand by in most places.

8. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

For home defense you cant go wrong with either one, but as many have stated the Rem does have more addons if you wish to do so in the future, all depends on your budget.

9. Missileman

Missileman New Member

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I bought a Mossberg 590A1 parkerized 8+1. Then put a red dot on top and a side saddle wrapped around the stock. It's good to go.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

My vote is for the Remington 870! They are a fine shotgun as well as standing the test of time, as well as dependability and endurance.

12. jayguy

jayguy New Member

I own a 870 and it is awsome!I would buy the 870 in a heart beat.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not much of a shotgun person. my experience with the 870 was the military ones we kept in the trunks of our mp vehicles and shot occasionally. never cared for em much. we eventually got some mossberg 590's to replace some worn out ones.

i really liked the mossbergs i found them smoother once broke in. i ended up buying one after i became a civilian again. ended up buying a mossberg 835 as well.

i like the 8+1 (2 3/4) and bayonet lug. the only problem with the 590 is your stuck with the SD barrel. the 500 series mossbergs are just about as adaptable as the 870.

but im not a shotgun guru by any stretch.

14. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

All we had in my M.P. unit were the Winchesters.

15. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Proof that marketing works. No way Winchester has had a pump in the same league as the Remington since the Model 12 disappeared.
    The "Speed Pump" is a total myth, too. Otherwise someone would have surely used one to break the record set with, I believe, a Benelli. All pumps work essentially the same way, the user makes more difference than the design.

16. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

My area is all shotgun from trap shooting to deer hunting except varmit but alot use the shotgun for that also. I have my dad's 870 wingmaster he bought when he was 18 round forend and 30in full choke no ribbed barrel (now has a rifled slug barrel on it) still shoots like a new one I know cause I own 4 others 870 12ga express combo, 20ga 870 wingmaster smooth slug barrel surpriseingly accurate for not being rifled, and 2 20ga 870 youth. Would not trade any of them, easy to disassemble and clean and never had one fail me in the field. So my choice would be the Rem.870.

17. sola7

sola7 New Member

Thanks for all the comments and advise. After much thought and reading I think I'm going with the winchester. I found one new for 250.00. Ive seen and read nothing but positives from those that have them. The cheapest 870 Ive found is around 400.00. I know its made in Turkey, but money is a little tight and I think for its purpose it will function fine. Now I just have to wait 6 more days. I love California..

18. sharpshooter2

sharpshooter2 New Member

I have an 870 12 guage have had for 25 years never a missfire or a jam only shoots
    2 3/4 inch but still I don't want to sell it,I also have a Mossberg wouldn't part with it either

19. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My preference would be for the Winchester but I know many people who like the 870 and i think it's a solid platform.