Winchester or marlin 30-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ledbetter84, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

I'm looking for a good lever gun. Not a safe queen. Can't decide between a marlin 336 c and a Winchester 94. Any thoughts? I don't want to scope it. Just a good open site brush gun.. Any input is welcome!

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

either one is a good choice and would serve you well. IMO, the 336 has a little smoother action from the get go, but the M94 does loosen up with use. the 336 seems to have a more robust action than the M94, but both have no problem with the 30-30 round. the 336 might be just a liitle more accurate than the M94, but that's subjective at best. see which one feels better when you shoulder it and go from there. see what the price difference is when you get ready to buy, this may be your deciding factor. i just bought a M94ae about a month ago for $260+tax in mint condition and unfired. if i run across a good deal on a 336, i wouldnt hesitate in buying it either.

3. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

I've got a line on a Pre 64 model 94 never fired. Same price as a new marlin. Just can't decide. Both feel really good.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I lean to marlin for lever guns. More rugged stronger actions.

5. Axxe55

are you sure it's a pre 64 model? those are pretty scarce these days and are usually pricey. if it is a true pre 64, and the price is right, i would most assuredly buy it over the 336 as you could get a 336 more easily than a pre 64 model 94. just my opinion, check and make sure it's pre 64 rather than just taking someones word for it. i know that they made some changes to the 65 and later models vs. the pre 64 models, but i can't remember what they are at the moment.

6. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

Thats what they say, but I'll get the serial number to be sure. I want to say it was 400$ with the original box !

7. lrchops

lrchops New Member

Consider if you are going to install a scope. Marlin is much more scope friendly than Winchester.

8. Axxe55

if it's a true and proven fact it's a pre64 model, sounds like a very good deal. but safeguard yourself and make sure. the price difference in value could be considerable.

9. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

I'll keep you posted but I'm done for the night. Thanks for the advise!

10. Axxe55

you're welcome. let us know how it turns out. i like the old M94's! i hope it is a pre 64 model and you buy it!

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"I want to say it was 400$ with the original box ! "
    If that statement is true(and pre-64) then it is a $800 to $1000 gun.

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

When I was gunsmithing I worked on far more 336's then '94's(say about 6 to 1) . Just stating the facts so all of you Marlin owners don't get mad. I've owned both and if I was not going to scope it I would only consider the Winchester,

13. lrchops

lrchops New Member

Why? I have both Winchesters and Marlins and Marlin rifles have a solid reciever. Winchester has top eject, side plates, and pieced together reciever with more parts. Seems the Marlin is a more solid platform. Although I do love my Winchesters!

14. ba_50

ba_50 New Member

I'd rather have the pre-64 if using open sights and being lighter and handier. It is "the" deer rifle. They hold value better. The 336 gets the nod with a scope. I've got both. $400 for a new one sounds real reasonable. I might park it rather than shoot it though.

My 336 misfires even with a new rear firing pin and spring. Since the front firing pin was out of stock, I'm going to get a one piece. Seems like I've read about a lot of misfire problems with the 336.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  15. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i own both a marlin and a winchester,fo me i think it would just come down to personal prefrence there both good rifles and there both reliable.

16. hotrodz32

hotrodz32 New Member

The serial# at the end of 1964 is 2,586,000 the difference is post 94's have stamped receiver parts instead of machined parts like the pre 94's if the gun you have a lead on is a pre 94 BUY IT.

17. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

Think I'm gonna end up with both. One to ding up and one to call my precious

18. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I'd say the Winchester. I have the 94' it's reliable, beautiful and cheap. The marlin is still good, although its a bit more expensive.

19. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Marlin 336 more than a winny 94 your nuts price any used win then price a marlin, further price a new win 94 they are over $1300, while the high end marlin 336 is at around $550 give or take where u are

20. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I have collected and researched old Winchesters for decades and some imfo on above posts are incorrect. When someone says a Marlin is more robust and that a Winchester will loosen up with use is incorrect. Read P.O. Ackleys books. He tried and sucseeded in blowing up many guns as a test in the 1950's. He heavily overloaded many makes of guns and his 2 overall, difficult to blow up guns were a Japanese Arisaka and a Winchester 94. I have never seen a Marlin blow up either though but he didnt test them IIRC. As to loosening up? I know the ones I have owned that were ancient, with no blue or stock finish left, from years of use and neglect werent any looser than a new model. But this again if from my limited 45 years of use and countless thousands of round fired trough this model. As for the Marlin they are good guns as well with less dependable feeding and extraction capabilities. Look at the extractors of the Marlin and the compare to the Winchester. The Marlin is a small piece of bent tin, while the Winchester is a much larger piece of milled steel. That being said I have never seen a Marlin fail to extract, but again I have nowhere near the experence with the Marlins. As a range officer I see many Marlins every year and the problem that most often appears is failure to feed. Am I anti Marlin? When you look into my gun safes you will find quite a few of them in there.