Winchester model 94

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by racingfanatic, Mar 10, 2012.

1. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

So ive been shopping around for a new toy to spend my tax refund on and i really want to get a lever action in 30-30 ive looked at both the marlin and winchester im pretty much sold on the winchester but i was wondering if there is anything i should look for when buying used that would indicate a lot of wear or neglect thanks

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Look closely at the bore as some of these old fifles were grossly neglected and rarely cleaned. A curddy pitted bore will give very poor accuracy.
    cottontop

3. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

Yeah thats what im afraid of im just gonna try and take my time and find one in good shape hopefully i get lucky at a gun show tomorow

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

this is purely my opinion and not to be taken as fact or gospel. i like the looks of the winchester M94, but i believe the action to be stronger and smoother in the marlin. the winchesters might be a little more pricey than a used marlin as they stopped making the M94 about 2008 or 2009, but they still amke the marlin. cottontop is right though, check the bore and check for smoothness and tightness in the action. don't let outwards appearance fool you, because many of these rifles ended up behind the seat of trucks and got scuffed and scratched up, but the rifles as far as working might be perfect. just something to consider.

5. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

Axx i completely agree with you that the marlin is a smoother action better designed and the better deal cost wise but the winchester just feels better in my hand and more comfortable in my shoulder

6. Axxe55

that's good enough reason to buy it. if fits better, you will shoot it better. from a personal preference, i like the looks of the winchester better, and i bought another one a several weeks ago. my reasons for the winchester are just nostalgic. just out of curiosity, what are they asking for the winchester you are looking at?

7. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

Ive looked at a few cabelas is ridiculious on the price of there used ones 500 and up for post-64s and 450 plus for used marlins but i have found a m94 at a lgs for 265 in good shape tho i didnt get to see the bore but it was drilled for a scope and i would really like to find one not drilled

8. powg

powg New Member

winchester or marlin ?

The marlin is far a better built,and more accurate than the winchester . my 336 t topped with an old weaver k4 at 100yrds the first 2 shots( bullseye) will almost touch each other the third will be a 1/2 -1 inch away from the bullseye . with hornady leverevolution ammo.:D

9. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The 94 Winchester has been the number one carbine for over 100 years. There have been many lever guns come and go. The Marlin is stronger more accurate:confused: Hell these are not target rifles they are the rifles of outdoorsman. What has a stronger action have to do with it? The 94 is rated to the same pressures as the 336 action. The 94 is flat and fits a saddle scabbard much better. The 94 is not bulky or clumsey like the 336 Marlin. The 94 opens on top. If you are in the back country and stick a round in the action your hunting knife can clear a 94. Try clearing a 336 Marlin it is like working on a little Jap car. The back country rifle shold shoot lead bullets. Just try factory velocity lead 30-30 rounds in a Micro Groove Marlin.:rolleyes: Find a nice used [not Japan] American Winchester and own a legend. Good Luck.:D

10. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

I agree the 94 is slimmer than the marlin which is one of the things i like about it but the solid top of the marlin gives it a definite advantage for scopes i personally dont want a scope so no big deal for me...and on a side note im a mechanic and love working on "jap" cars lol

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  11. Ima-Savage

Ima-Savage New Member

I reload for my Win 1894 with Nosler Partions and shoot it single-shot with one in the tube-magazine. This Win. will shoot a whole lot better than what Powg stated for his. I get 7 shots in a row touching at 100yds. My Used Win 1894 hadn't even been Broken in yet . It only had 1 box of ammo thru it when I got it from my Brother for free. He is a dandy that decided he didn't like to hunt after all. lol
    I just added a weaver side-mount, and a 4-16x42 scope and started shooting, THEN, I started reloading and that is when the rifle started shooting Great! The barrel is still in like new condition. with less than 500 shots thru it. I like Marlin 60 rifles A LOT! but I like Winchester Lever guns for the aesthetics. Marlin has that Humpy look to it.(which probably equates to the strength that the other mention?

12. 2bit

2bit New Member

Hello Racingfanatic,

Questions
    #1. How much money do you want to spend?
    #2. Do you want a scope on the rifle?
    #3. Do you want a "collectible" rifle?

Questions 1 and 3 are somewhat related. Winchester made dramatic shanges to their production techniques in 1964 which resulted in a noticeable reduction in quality of the post 64 firearms. In a Model 94 SN 2,700,000 is the majic number. Stay under that and you have a better quality "pre 64" rifle. But these rifles also cost more on the used market. They also hold there value and actually increase in value over time if the condition is not reduced. The later pre 64 Model 94's are drilled and tapped for receiver mounted peep sights and if you can shoot well are very accurate to 100 yards which is a very typical outside range for most hunting situations.

For question #2. DO NOT drill and tap these rifle for a side mounted scope!! Ima-Savage may have done that to his gun but he just drilled $1000 worth of reduced value into the rifle!! Bad choice. Marlin has always been a side eject lever action whereas the Winchester is top eject thus making a top mounted scope impractical. Late post 64 Model 94's did eventually change to an Angle Eject style and are designated as "AE" so that top mounted scopes could be used.

The potential cost of nice pre 64 rifles can be anywhere from $500 to $1500 depending on just what year, the caliber, and most importantly the condition. Fortunately there are lots of these rifle around to choose from. Take a look at Gunbroker.com and take our time. Do not limit yourself to a local gunshow. Also keep in mind that the same Model 94 in 32 WS also knwn as 32 Win Special is typically a bit less expensive and the ballistics are almost identical.

This is one of my 13 Model 94 rifles which was manufactured during 1939. It is a great little rifle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are serious about buying a good pre-64 rifle send me a link or photos of it and I will be happy to advise.

Good luck
    Michael
    2bitrifles@gmail.com

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  13. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

I think the pre 64s are a little out of my budget and im ok with getting a post 64 question 2 im definetly not scoping it i like shooting iron sights and i have scoped bolt actions already so another iron gun would be great i will definetly have to look up some info on 32 ws ive seen a few but i dont know much about that particular round

14. 2bit

2bit New Member

15. Axxe55

32 Win. Spl. was just a 30-30 necked up to a 32 caliber. most of them chambered in that round were usually made before the late 50's. there isn't a big improvement over the 30-30, only about 100-150 fps faster MV with the same weight bullets. most of these i have found for sale are in the $900-1500 range.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The .32 Winchester Spcl. was an after thought. The 94 30-30 entered the market as a smokless round. All of the arms up to this point had been loaded with black powder. The new small bore 30 WCF did not work well with black powder. Reloaders could not go to the 30 WCF with out throwing away all that black powder. The .32 Spec. was offered as a round that could use black or smokeless. The history of the .32 Spec. was not great as a hunting rifle. The 30-30 became a world legend. :)

17. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

another option would be the Ted Williams model 100. it's my understanding that winchester made these for sears & rebadged them for sale in their stores.

these usually go cheaper than a 94 so that's another option, unless you really want it to say "Winchester" on the barrel

18. Ima-Savage

Ima-Savage New Member

The Weaver Mount I used takes the two action screws out and replaces them with extended screws. In NO Way have I ruined or even defaced it . Thanks.;)

19. Axxe55

Winchester made contract guns for Sears, as did Marlin and Savage and others. the ones made by Winchester for Sears was the Model 100 in 30-30 was marked as Ted Williams and also a Sears M100. i bought a used Sears M100 years ago at a gun store in Houston Texas. it looked like crap but was a good shooting rifle. gave i think about $60 for it. had a gunsmith friend of mine tear it down and refinished all the metalwork and i refinished all the wood.

20. 2bit

2bit New Member

Ima-Savage wrote:
    My Used Win 1894 hadn't even been Broken in yet . It only had 1 box of ammo thru it

The Model 1894 receivers were not drilled and tapped with any left side mounting screws. If you in fact have a Model 94 with a serial number higher than 1,913,500 DOM 1952) the receiver will have two small screws in the upper right corner of the left side that were intended for mounting a peep sight. These could be used for a side mount scope base.
    [​IMG]

Can you clarify what the serial number of your rifle is?

Michael

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012