Winchester model 94

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Jimski, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Jimski

Jimski Member

I'm considering adding a lever action rifle to my collection and have zero'd in on the Winchester 94 in .30-30. Looking around I see that one in good condition can be got for around $500. Looking for comments from folks with some experience with this rifle or possibly even a different (better) choice for about the same cost.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'd suggest a marlin unless you enjoy having empty casing bounce off your forehead and having a hard time mounting a scope. The older Winchester's are nice for collectors. IMO it Looks like you are ripping the guns guts out when you cycle it and they suck to work on. The Marlin can be had for less and isn't top eject.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

3. LawAbidingCitizen

LawAbidingCitizen New Member

I have a model 94 and love it. Never been hit in the head with a spent casing and no scope because I don't need one. Its not a deer gun, although it could be, just always wanted one. With iron sights I've cranked it out to about 100 yards reliablely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

4. LawAbidingCitizen

Sorry, sent it early.

Attached Files:

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Winchester also modified the Model 94 in later years to an angle eject with a drilled and tapped reciever for mounting a scope if desired. but IMO, a Winchester just doesn't look right with a scope. personally i can't picture John Wayne with a scope on his Winchester!:eek:

6. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I'm a Winchester fan myself. Marlins are good but there is just something special about a Winchester. And I don't think any collection is complete without a model 94. :)

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

My thoughts exactly.

My model 94 in 30-30 is one of my favorite long guns and one I hope to be able to pass down someday.

I paid $400 for mine at a tiny little gunsmith shop in Kalifornia. Honestly I think that shop was an anomaly. I would've bought the same gun for up to $600 if that's what I had found first.

Good luck in your decision and search.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

8. LawAbidingCitizen

Mine is a 94xtr. Every thing I read and look up talks about a safety. There is not one on mine. It also has a hooded front sight original but every thing I see is just a post. What about yours? I also bought for $400 from an individual at a gun show. Well worth it.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

No safety on mine. I haven't shot it for a month or so but if memory serves it has traditional sights.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Opinions vary. Mine is not different (in that it varies from others).

If I were to be in the market for a Win 94. (not just a lever, but a 94), I would pick one in the more classic configuration.
    I'll second the 'hand it down' value. . . The more traditional, the better.

Top eject is fine. Mine has a Leupold Detacho mount with a Leupold M8-2x fixed focus. It was an original owner, minor modification, but still have the original parts.
    Safety? Half Cock has worked fine for years. The bicycle helmet folks may be concerned, but many of us grew up in a world where danger helped define the future of the species.

Collection? I think 500 puts you in the 'working collection' or shooters. But a working collection should include a Win 94, just seems right. .

Attached Files:

• 94.jpg
      94.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
  11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

My 94 is an AE with traditional iron sights & no it does not have a safety, except half cocked !..............

12. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I've hunted with my Model 94 since I could carry it through the woods. They're light, handy, pointable rifles that can be used for more than hunting. True, its harder to mount a scope but its really not meant for one; at least where I hunt with it its not. My rifle was also my Dad's first deer rifle and it means the world to me. We've both killed quite a few deer with it. The Marlins are nice rifles to and are more suited for scope mounting, but I personally am not as accurate with it as compared to the 94. In regards to the .30-30 round, its been the quintessential deer round for a very long time and continues to bring in thousands of feet every year. Its a controllable round that still has plenty of punch at intermediate distances. I've personally seen deer run farther after being hit with a .45-70 and seen deer stopped in there tracks by the. 30-30.
    In other words, buy the Winchester!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Winchester 94 Carbine is a flat light rugged firearm. It is a short range firearms by today's standards. Rifle scopes had been in use for more than 30 years when the Mdl. 94 was patented by John Browning. The Mdl. 94 was not intended to be scoped. There have been millions of these made and fired for over 100 years. I really don't know of millions of hunters who have suffered head wounds from ejected brass.:rolleyes:
    The "OpenTop" Mdl. 94 is much easier to clear with a knife if there is a stuck case. It is to feed with a single round and a stuck lifter is easy to access. The Mdl. 94 has been the choice of Woodsman and Horseman for generations.:)

14. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

They weren't meant for scopes, but they are capable of putting up some really impressive groups if you decide to add one. :)

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i found mine at my LGS a couple of years ago in the used gun rack. it must have been put back in a safe when it was bought new many years ago and looked like it had never been shot. mine is the Ranger model 94. which is the same action with a birch or hardwood stocks and no checkering so it was sold as an economy model of the Model 94. i paid about $275 for mine a couple of years ago and love shooting it. it's one of my few rifles that doesn't have a scope attached. i even have a set of dies that my father gave me to reload shells for it.

16. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I found my 94 in my grandparent's attic. 30-30. My great-grandfather bought it brand new in 1953, and when he died in the 60's it was tucked away un-protected in the corner of a New England farmhouse attic for over 40 years, until I found it shortly after my 18th birthday. It had some spots of surface rust and damage to the bluing, but after a few patches of solvent and oil the bore was shining bright. I cleaned it up and oiled/steel wooled the hell out of it, and I'll be damed if that tough little gun didn't nail cans of soda at 50 yards with only it's iron sights the first time I took it to the range.

I'd post pictures if I wasn't away from home at the moment.

It's a great gun, and fun to shoot. Good strong action. I've never been bothered by the shell ejecting out the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The only people who tell the stories about head wounds from ejected cases are Gun Shop Ninjas. Anyone who owns a Mdl. 94 Winchester laughs at these stories. :D

18. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I know I do. :)

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would add that the Winchester Mdl. 94 has had traditional hammer forged mandrel rifled barrels. The Marlin offering for most of its history has used the "Micro-Groove" barrel. The MG barrels are made for high production and low cost in mind. The MG rifled barrels uses a larger throat and bore to reduce pressure in the shallow cut bores. These MG rifled barrels have never been successful when used for accurate target or varmint rifles. Marlin-Sako heavy barreled varmint rifles were a total failure when chambered in center fire varmint rounds.
    The Winchester 94 barrels allow the shooting of cast flat nose bullets at factory jacketed velocity. Winchester-Browning did barrel the Browning Mdl. 92 .44 and .357 magnums with Winchester Micro-Groove barrels in Japan. If you use one of these for shooting cast bullet run them out .003" over size and hope for accuracy.:D

20. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I had one like that in 44 mag, long story but I traded it and sorry I did!